Remote working at WDW & in-room desks disappearing?

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
My wife and I just returned from a back to back stay at Grand Floridian and Boardwalk. Both hotels have had recent room renovations that we really enjoyed, for the most part. However, it seems that in the renovation a decision was made to remove the desks in the rooms.
I understand Disney World is for families on vacation and that these were probably not heavily used previously, so it would make sense to remove them. Perhaps even, the design plans were done before the pandemic and most people worked in an office, but I think things have changed since then.

I spent the morning of our last full day of the trip working from Boardwalk’s Bell Vue lounge which was very busy with multiple others like myself and their laptops, which seems to indicate that many other guests had this issue as well.

We visit WDW frequently, and are both remote workers, meaning we can and frequently do work wherever the Wifi is, and I think many others are doing this as well.

Just wondering if others have faced this issue, and which resorts might be best for remote work options?

I know most of the Deluxe resorts have conference centers, and these can be used sometimes, but I ran into a situation on this trip where both the Yacht Club and Boardwalk conference centers were full and in use.

MickeyLuv'r

Semi-jokingly I say, this may be just one more reason to choose Universal instead.

We really liked the large table we had in our room at Portofino, while our Wilderness Lodge room only had a tiny table.

Another option is some of the offsite options. If you want desk space, and room to work, the suite style places like Residence Inn are great. (Hilton's suite options, like Homewood Suites, are similar.) The hotels and dining in Flamingo Crossings are all fairly new, and most of the hotels include breakfast.

Disstevefan1

Semi-jokingly I say, this may be just one more reason to choose Universal instead.

We really liked the large table we had in our room at Portofino, while our Wilderness Lodge room only had a tiny table.

Another option is some of the offsite options. If you want desk space, and room to work, the suite style places like Residence Inn are great. (Hilton's suite options, like Homewood Suites, are similar.) The hotels and dining in Flamingo Crossings are all fairly new, and most of the hotels include breakfast.
You bring up a valid point. There are off site resorts that offer MUCH LARGER rooms AT A FRACTION OF THE COST.

Robbiem

Really interesting issue. I think its odd that Disney have removed in room desks from their convention hotels - if you are trying to attract a business audience you would expect them to have facilities for people to work in their rooms. Some of their recent design choices just make no sense IMO

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
You bring up a valid point. There are off site resorts that offer MUCH LARGER rooms AT A FRACTION OF THE COST.
Very true. I've stayed at a few hotels at Flamingo Crossing and Disney Springs, and many of these do have desks in the rooms, or at least last time I stayed at them. Many of these have bigger rooms too.

Really interesting issue. I think its odd that Disney have removed in room desks from their convention hotels - if you are trying to attract a business audience you would expect them to have facilities for people to work in their rooms. Some of their recent design choices just make no sense IMO
My guess would be they assumed these aren't needed as much and take up needed space.

I did wonder about the possibility of getting a folding table or lap desk from guest services.

G&CsMom

At this point, the YC/BC still have the desks with the rolling table nested underneath. I don't work from the resort room but our family loves the desk and rolling table for eating breakfast and desserts in the room with the occasional laptop usage as well.

I think the new rooms at GF and BW are beautiful but they have lost functionality. I hope that customer complaints will turn the tide so that future refurbs have at least a desk and chair. The GF has a "desk and stool" but it isn't as functional.

Similarly, I am also not a fan of the new "little mermaid" rooms in the Trinidad section at CBR. The new room design removed the table and chairs in lieu of a coffee table with an articulating top the raises to form sort of a table.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
At this point, the YC/BC still have the desks with the rolling table nested underneath. I don't work from the resort room but our family loves the desk and rolling table for eating breakfast and desserts in the room with the occasional laptop usage as well.

I think the new rooms at GF and BW are beautiful but they have lost functionality. I hope that customer complaints will turn the tide so that future refurbs have at least a desk and chair. The GF has a "desk and stool" but it isn't as functional.

Similarly, I am also not a fan of the new "little mermaid" rooms in the Trinidad section at CBR. The new room design removed the table and chairs in lieu of a coffee table with an articulating top the raises to form sort of a table.
I sent comments and my disappointment about the desk removals. Neither of the rooms at these Deluxe hotels have any kind of table or in-room flat surface that could be used to work or even eat on. I guess the intent is for people to sleep, shower and use the bathroom in the rooms, but do everything else outside of there.

On another note: I really liked the look and feel of the new rooms at Boardwalk, in spite of the missing desk, they've created a very warm and comfortable feel for those rooms. The newly re-decorated rooms at Grand Flo are nice, but I felt like they went overboard with the lighting. It's very harsh bright white or LED blue and not warm/pleasant like Boardwalk's.

aladdin2007

I sent comments and my disappointment about the desk removals. Neither of the rooms at these Deluxe hotels have any kind of table or in-room flat surface that could be used to work or even eat on. I guess the intent is for people to sleep, shower and use the bathroom in the rooms, but do everything else outside of there.

On another note: I really liked the look and feel of the new rooms at Boardwalk, in spite of the missing desk, they've created a very warm and comfortable feel for those rooms. The newly re-decorated rooms at Grand Flo are nice, but I felt like they went overboard with the lighting. It's very harsh bright white or LED blue and not warm/pleasant like Boardwalk's.
That's becoming a problem everywhere I don't like it either.....they really don't want you in the room they want you out spending. Can't sleep in, can't relax, start spending on those precious genies at 7am.......so they keep going for bland generic and barren rooms. Disney is a big player in this downsizing America trend going on and its bad.

Dr.GrantSeeker

My wife and I just returned from a back to back stay at Grand Floridian and Boardwalk. Both hotels have had recent room renovations that we really enjoyed, for the most part. However, it seems that in the renovation a decision was made to remove the desks in the rooms.
I understand Disney World is for families on vacation and that these were probably not heavily used previously, so it would make sense to remove them. Perhaps even, the design plans were done before the pandemic and most people worked in an office, but I think things have changed since then.

I spent the morning of our last full day of the trip working from Boardwalk’s Bell Vue lounge which was very busy with multiple others like myself and their laptops, which seems to indicate that many other guests had this issue as well.

We visit WDW frequently, and are both remote workers, meaning we can and frequently do work wherever the Wifi is, and I think many others are doing this as well.

Just wondering if others have faced this issue, and which resorts might be best for remote work options?

I know most of the Deluxe resorts have conference centers, and these can be used sometimes, but I ran into a situation on this trip where both the Yacht Club and Boardwalk conference centers were full and in use.

My wife and I are in the exact same situation. We stayed at the BW right after the refurbished rooms opened last year and couldn't believe they got rid of the desks. We both work remote and were planning on doing work from our room. While the new rooms are nice and we like how they came out. We felt like it was not very functional with the lack ever desk or even small table and chairs. We left this feedback with the front desk, but it probably fell on deaf ears.

jaklgreen

SSR has one of those coffee tables that the top lifts up and toward you. They can easily add those to most of the resorts.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
My wife and I are in the exact same situation. We stayed at the BW right after the refurbished rooms opened last year and couldn't believe they got rid of the desks. We both work remote and were planning on doing work from our room. While the new rooms are nice and we like how they came out. We felt like it was not very functional with the lack ever desk or even small table and chairs. We left this feedback with the front desk, but it probably fell on deaf ears.
I would encourage you to send your comments to: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

I received the following response:

Mar 10, 2024, 2:13 PM EDT

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and are sorry for the disappointments you mentioned in your e-mail regarding your feelings about the removal of desks at Disney’s BoardWalk Inn and your feelings about adding places for remote workers to work while on vacation. It is our goal to create magical memories and exceed the expectations of our Guests during each and every interaction that you have with us.

Whether positive or not so positive, the comments our Guests share are very important to us and, most of all, they are necessary.

The Walt Disney World Resort strives to keep our Guests’ experience fresh and unique throughout the years. Our Guests’ feedback is vital in preserving the magical experience that we so strongly wish to deliver. Please know that your comments will be shared with the appropriate Leadership as we continue to explore new ways for guests to enjoy their visits in the future.

Once again, thank you for contacting us. We sincerely hope that we will have an opportunity to entertain you soon.

The more feedback they get, the more they will be open to change for the future.

erstwo

That is frustrating. I guess the focus really is on family travel with those GF & BW renovations vs resorts like YC and Coronado which cater to both family and business?
I’m not a remote worker, but I always have to work at least a few hours every vacation. I guess because there are other people in my room (kids and husband) - I usually end up in some corner of the hotel lobby working with my noise canceling headphones on, rather than working in the room anyway - so I would probably be unaffected.
However, if I were solo - I’d be mad I couldn’t get an early start from my room in my pjs at a desk! Sorry that happened to y’all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom