Remnants of former attractions

MattFrees71

Yes I made sure when I rode it yesterday to look for those 2 pictures with Mr. Toad and Moley, and I did spot them in the Owl's house scene. It'd be interesting to see a blueprint of the current ride/building overlayed on the original. Here's a picture of the blueprint for the original ride. Based on that, I would think the Hundred Acre Goods sits around where the "hell" portion of Track B used to be.

image source: http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/mtwr.htm

Last edited:

MattFrees71

In reference to my earlier post on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride remnants in Winnie the Pooh, here's a composite I put together showing the rides' layouts side by side. Aside for maybe one of the vehicle service areas, there's hardly anything that correlates to Toad's layout today. They really did thoroughly gut that entire inside. Riding it nowadays, it feels like the 1 track is all that fits in there and it's surprising to think that it used to fit 2 tracks of about the same length as Pooh's. You would think that this compression is solely due to The Hundred Acre Goods gift shop being added. But in reality, the gift shop is quite small and hardly takes up much of the original ride space. From what I can tell, most of the reason is that they used larger rooms for the different scenes in Pooh as well as there still being some dead space not used. (Image sources are "The Disney Blueprint Page" and Widenyourworld.
Toad Pooh.PNG

Last edited:

Gelatoni

I love Easter eggs like these Disney leaves behind! I know Backlot Express has a spaceship from one of the horizons endings.

Attachments

• Backlot Express 024.jpg
    Backlot Express 024.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 318

Brer Panther

I always love this sort of thing - leaving little homages to past attractions. I think even Universal and Six Flags do it. Anyhow...

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin has some remnants of Dreamflight - the sign is the same (although it's been repainted), I think some of the plywood cutouts were reused (during the scene at the end where Zurg is grabbed by a giant claw in particular), the track is the same, the speed tunnel is the same, and in the "Planet Z" room there are chickens that are left over from Dreamflight (they were repainted, but still) and the alien puppet guy uses the same rigging as a parachuter in Dreamflight.

I think an Imagineer confirmed in a podcast that the Figment animatronics in Journey Into Imagination With Figment were reused from the original, but I could be wrong.

In Disneyland, the queue for Star Tours is the same basic shape as the queue for Adventures Thru Inner Space. And of course, REX and some bird droids who were perched on a doorway in the original version are hidden in the queue.

The floats in Festival of the Lion King were originally used for a parade in Disneyland called The Lion King Celebration.

This one's more for California, I think, but here goes a triple-changer:

The Geese from America Sings
658006a195a0b456f2fa0cf48939a68f.jpg

Wound up in Splash Mountain
3108921855_439539b750.jpg

While some of their brothers wound up getting a makeover for Star Tours.
DSC07458.jpg
In fact, almost ALL of the animatronics in Splash Mountain come from America Sings. I've even heard that one of the Sam the Eagle animatronics was used to make one of the Brer Fox animatronics, and that the Brer Rabbit animatronics (or at least some of them) are made from Ollie the Owl.

Dragonman

Original Poster
In fact, almost ALL of the animatronics in Splash Mountain come from America Sings.

Only in California of course. Although I believe the weasels in Florida might be original.

I think an Imagineer confirmed in a podcast that the Figment animatronics in Journey Into Imagination With Figment were reused from the original, but I could be wrong.

I know for a fact this is false. The animatronics that are in the ride now are simply made from the original molds. The real original ones only exist in storage and private collections.

FettFan

I know for a fact this is false. The animatronics that are in the ride now are simply made from the original molds. The real original ones only exist in storage and private collections.

Question: is the static Figment that appears in the queue for Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout an original or was it just made from the original mold?

images

I've always assumed it was an original that was bad condition, hence why it was put behind frosted glass.
You could see the shape of it and the color enough to know what it is, but the frosted glass hides any damage from storage and mishandling over the years.

Dragonman

Original Poster
Question: is the static Figment that appears in the queue for Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout an original or was it just made from the original mold?

images

I've always assumed it was an original that was bad condition, hence why it was put behind frosted glass.
You could see the shape of it and the color enough to know what it is, but the frosted glass hides any damage from storage and mishandling over the years.

I’m pretty sure it’s original. One of the ones that would rise out of Dreamfinder’s vehicle

Brer Panther

While we're on the subject of Disneyland's Country Bear Jamboree... correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they reuse Big Al's structure for the Oogie Boogie animatronic in the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay?

TongaToast21

Now since it is officially a former attraction----- The plane from the Casablanca scene of the GMR is the same plane whose rear fuselage is featured in the Jungle Cruise! They just cut it in half and use the two parts in different attractions.

Dragonman

Original Poster
While we're on the subject of Disneyland's Country Bear Jamboree... correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they reuse Big Al's structure for the Oogie Boogie animatronic in the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay?

That’s what I’ve heard yes. Oogie moves much faster than Al though so he must’ve been slightly modified.

Dragonman

Original Poster
Does anybody know if there are any remnants of Universe of Energy on property? I know a few of the pterodactyls were sent to Disneyland's Primeval World diorama...
Yeah I’ve heard some of the dinos were sent to Disneyland. The “animatronic” that Ellen received on her show was actually just a mannequin with a very worn out original mask and clothing that someone owned and showed her as a joke. It’s rumored the actual Ellen and Elasmosaurus animatronics were destroyed sadly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom