remember those contemporary pics?

llrain

Original Poster
Of the pallets and entrance, port a potties, etc
With the thread of people speculating what they were going to do with them
From Mouselpannet.... Who woulda thought they were doing the construction for this....guess our "rumors" were a bit off on this one

http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=wd061218mg

Pirates to take over Seven Seas Lagoon in May
While Disneyland again holds the premiere of the third installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie franchise, Walt Disney World will have its own feature event: A three-day adventure on Seven Seas Lagoon during the week before Memorial Day.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Adventures on the 7 Seas Lagoon will be based out of the Contemporary Resort, with "surprises and thrills that are lurking behind the dark and dreary coves of the Lagoon."

Based upon the theme of the event, it seems likely that the event will include some sort of event on Discovery Island, perhaps searching for a treasure.

More information is expected to be released at noon this Wednesday about the tiered packages that will be involved. The event will be set up similarly to the 999 Happy Haunts events. Lodging will be included in the top two tiered packages, which will also include unique experiences. Limited-edition merchandise will also be offered for sale, while other special merchandise will be auctioned off at both silent and live auctions.

The event will also feature special guest appearances, with celebrities yet to be announced.

And if it's treasure yer' heart be fancying, then venture to the mucky port of Tortuga, where ye' be sure to find the finest pirate treasures in all the land. But beware this port of riches; swabs like you and their treasures, have been known to disappear…

Tickets for the event will go on sale on January 11, at 2:00 p.m.

Wooden pallets and portable lavatories surround the entrance to the Contemporary Resort's North Garden Wing as asbestos abatement continues. Photo by Mark Goldhaber.

Empress Room

Based upon the theme of the event, it seems likely that the event will include some sort of event on Discovery Island, perhaps searching for a treasure.

I find this to be the most interesting bit of speculation from the MousePlanet article. Discovery Island appears, in its current state, very overgrown and very rundown. The "shipwreck" that sat on the shore has deteriorated to the point of a real safety concern, and the same could be said for the wooden walkways that traversed the island.

If Discovery Island is in any way going to be included in this Pirates event, I would think that a whole lot of expensive rehab would need to be done to the island to make it guest-friendly once again.

Anyone else know anything more about the current state of the island?

maelstrom

Discovery Island really looks to be in a state of disrepair and general overgrowth. Is there even a dock anymore? They would need to do some major sprucing up before bringing people over there. But it'd be great to see it get used again.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Discovery Island really looks to be in a state of disrepair and general overgrowth. Is there even a dock anymore? They would need to do some major sprucing up before bringing people over there. But it'd be great to see it get used again.

5th gate?
New Resort?

:lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun

maelstrom

5th gate?
New Resort?

:lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun

Oh god, no!

This pirate adventure thing would be great. Bay Lake is so creepy at night, when you're on a boat going from the Contemporary towards Ft. Wilderness. There's no lights anywhere. Good for scary undead pirate stuff.

I'd be sad if they built those honeymoon cottages or something on Discovery Island.

napnet

We went by Discovery Island at the beginning of this month (boat ride) and i could barely see any thing on the island other than plants and trees. Best i could make out is the old dock but it was all but destroyed.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just playing devil's advocate here but DI would not need to be returned to a pristine state merely a safe state. The run down dilapidated look could easily add to the theming of it being an abandoned port or something along those lines.

Empress Room

Just playing devil's advocate here but DI would not need to be returned to a pristine state merely a safe state. The run down dilapidated look could easily add to the theming of it being an abandoned port or something along those lines.

With Disney, these two concepts typically go hand-in-hand. I cannot imagine Disney doing anything less than a stellar imagineering job to Discovery Island before it made the decision to put it back "on stage" and opened up to guests. Anything less would invariably lead to criticism.

JimboJones123

Would it be more than a few weeks work to rebuild the dock and clean up. The real work would be in-island. But after equip is loaded, the work can easily be done in the next 5 months. They just put up a bank and gas station by my house in 5 weeks. Work that Disney Magic.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
With Disney, these two concepts typically go hand-in-hand. I cannot imagine Disney doing anything less than a stellar imagineering job to Discovery Island before it made the decision to put it back "on stage" and opened up to guests. Anything less would invariably lead to criticism.
yes, but if the budget isnt there..... then it will come off cheap. hypothetically of course.

hokielutz

Would it be more than a few weeks work to rebuild the dock and clean up. The real work would be in-island. But after equip is loaded, the work can easily be done in the next 5 months. They just put up a bank and gas station by my house in 5 weeks. Work that Disney Magic.

You are right. Any changes they would make to the island for this event would not take much time to execute. 5 to 8 weeks max.

hokielutz

exactly... it would fit great for a pirate theme or anything they want to mimick from the final movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom