Regular room with DVC points?

Corgi

Original Poster
Hi all! I have a quick question, as I’m still a relatively new DVC member: Can you get a regular room with DVC points? My family of 4 doesn’t really want a studio, because then you don’t get 2 beds, you have the 1 bed and a fold out couch.

MGMBoy

Hi all! I have a quick question, as I’m still a relatively new DVC member: Can you get a regular room with DVC points? My family of 4 doesn’t really want a studio, because then you don’t get 2 beds, you have the 1 bed and a fold out couch.

It IS possible to reserve a regular room with points but they generally cost a LOT of point compared to a Studio/1BR.

nickys

Premium Member
Also, if you are a recent resale buyer, I don’t think you have the ability to use your points to book a non-DVC room. I’m pretty sure that’s a restricted perk now, as it counts as the Disney Collection. If you bought direct, you can but as someone already pointed out, it’s a very poor use of points.

To be honest, you’d be better off renting your points out and using the cash to pay for the room.

An OKW studio has two real beds though, it’s the only studio that does. Or you can book one of the studios that has a pull down Murphy bed for a child (or small adult). Poly, GFV, BRV, BC from memory, I’m sure I missed one or two.

MGMBoy

Also, if you are a recent resale buyer, I don’t think you have the ability to use your points to book a non-DVC room. I’m pretty sure that’s a restricted perk now, as it counts as the Disney Collection. If you bought direct, you can but as someone already pointed out, it’s a very poor use of points.

To be honest, you’d be better off renting your points out and using the cash to pay for the room.

An OKW studio has two real beds though, it’s the only studio that does. Or you can book one of the studios that has a pull down Murphy bed for a child (or small adult). Poly, GFV, BRV, BC from memory, I’m sure I missed one or two.

Riviera also has the Murphy bed and kid-sized fold down but that availability is super limited right now. Did they really take away Disney Collection perks for non-direct purchasers? I heard about the member perks.

Corgi

Original Poster
I’m a direct buyer, so that wouldn’t be an issue. Wow, interesting that they would go for a higher rate than a studio! Alright, thanks all!

nickys

Premium Member
Riviera also has the Murphy bed and kid-sized fold down but that availability is super limited right now. Did they really take away Disney Collection perks for non-direct purchasers? I heard about the member perks.

Non-DVC Disney resorts fall under the Disney Collection near the top of the chart.

The World Collection near the bottom is the trade into RCI which is still available for everyone.

correcaminos

I’m a direct buyer, so that wouldn’t be an issue. Wow, interesting that they would go for a higher rate than a studio! Alright, thanks all!
The short version is they are really separate entities (DVC and regular rooms) and they have to trade in to get them, so they cost more. I did it once years ago when I bought my resale that had Disney collection points in holding as part of the contract. It was I think 134 points for 4 night at the Grand Californian. Worth it to me then as we were planning a DLR trip at the time and the holding points made it stupidly cheap to buy (as crazy as it is the amount in holding was the exact amount I needed for the DLR trip). Not something I'd do again though.

FCivish3

You are a direct buyer, so you can do this. It is called "The Disney Collection." Mostly, you would be using your points to stay at a Moderate Resort

Most of the time, they go for higher rates, pointwise, than a studio, but not always. For instance:

Caribbean Beach: Low Season 19/22 Regular Season 22/25 Peak Season 25/27 points. (Weekdays/Weekends)
French Quarter: Low Season 20/23 Regular Season 23/27 Peak Season 27/30 points.

Now, when I stay at one of these resorts, it almost always costs me at least $300 per night. So, the cost for these, in points, is not prohibitive, but it isn't a great deal.

A good option really is to Rent out your points, and take the cash and rent the hotel. For instance, in October, we will be at Caribbean Beach for a few days, before going to BLT and then AKV. I am renting out points to pay for the hotel rooms, instead of using points directly.

Since using "The Disney Collection" is only available to Direct Buyers, Resale owners can't do it. BUT, Resale Owners do, still, ALWAYS have the chance to rent their points out and pay for them that way, so they really are not missing much of anything.

In the future, as Disney raises the cost of these rooms, when paying by cash, the option of using the points instead of cash will become more attractive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom