News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

dsinclair

Yeah, I don't understand that original comment at all. Disney has built very little that's supposed to appeal to adults only.

It's possible to build things that appeal to both adults and children. Building something that only appeals to children is not a very good business strategy for Disney for the most part (there are exceptions), which is why they haven't generally done so.

Most people aren't annoyed/upset that Disney is building something to appeal to children. They're bothered that Disney is building something dumbed down and lazy and then justifying it as "it's for the children!" as though kids don't enjoy things that are more complex. EPCOT was my favorite park as a 7 year old, so that's clearly not the case.
How is remodeling Poly to incorporate Moana dumbed down and lazy?

The trend toward wine and dine is absolutely geared toward adults btw.

Sir_Cliff

The rooms look nice. I was always happy they got rid of the carpet in the rooms so they won’t stink after a month. I also like to see the space under the beds (It feels cleaner to me).
These are two things I really like about the new rooms, too.

Not a fan of carpets in hotel rooms and much prefer these neater and cleaner style of wooden bed frames. The less sense of big spongey expanses of fabric absorbing the essence of every guest and everything they're doing in there the better!

pdude81

I know they are doing a refurb to the DVC side later this year, and I'd assume some of these same elements will show up there, but DVC typically has the pull out couch and not a second bed. Does anybody know if this refurb is likely to include the murphy beds? I don't know if they normally would swap out couches in a "soft goods" refurb. My thought is that they did in Kidani recently but not sure if that is common.

Bocabear

The rooms look nice. I was always happy they got rid of the carpet in the rooms so they won’t stink after a month. I also like to see the space under the beds (It feels cleaner to me).

I just checked the price for a Day in September, $647 a night for a standard view…. Nice.
In September a Deluxe Suite Disney view with balcony at the Waldorf Astoria is $512

dsinclair

Then elaborate.
I thought it was pretty simple: If something is added or changed that is geared more toward children or parents w/children then a large contingent set out to complain.

This has nothing to do with what the past attitude or mandate of the company has been or attraction mix. There is simply a group of people who seem to get upset they are not the target audience of any update or new attraction.

UNCgolf

How is remodeling Poly to incorporate Moana dumbed down and lazy?

The trend toward wine and dine is absolutely geared toward adults btw.

I don't think that trend is geared towards adults as much as geared at making as much money as possible (i.e. I don't think they're specifically trying to appeal to adults, they just know that alcohol sales are a gigantic profit driver). But I'm pretty sure that most of people who dislike the potential introduction of characters into every nook and cranny also dislike that trend towards wine and dine.

My comment wasn't really in regards to the Moana rooms but other things around WDW. The Incredibles rooms, for example, are dumbed down and lazy. They look like something from a value resort. The Moana rooms are okay for what they are -- although they could be much better -- but I've never been a big fan of the Polynesian to begin with so I don't really care.

In general, though, putting up a bunch of pictures of characters and then claiming it's for kids is almost the definition of dumbed down and lazy.

lazyboy97o

I thought it was pretty simple: If something is added or changed that is geared more toward children or parents w/children then a large contingent set out to complain.

This has nothing to do with what the past attitude or mandate of the company has been or attraction mix. There is simply a group of people who seem to get upset they are not the target audience of any update or new attraction.
If there is more of something now then there was less of it before.

Last edited:

Bocabear

"I don't want to take my family to the Polynesian Village Resort because there are not enough cartoon characters around the resort and in the hotel rooms" said no one ever...ever.
The Polynesian and Contemporary were always popular because of the Monorail Access and because they were unique and transportive. They were designed to evoke a place.. a location... A world in the future...
When it gets too heavy with IP Character it feels less special... More like a commercial on TV. Less Luxe... More mundane... More like an All Star resort...

Ripken10

"I don't want to take my family to the Polynesian Village Resort because there are not enough cartoon characters around the resort and in the hotel rooms" said no one ever...ever.
The Polynesian and Contemporary were always popular because of the Monorail Access and because they were unique and transportive. They were designed to evoke a place.. a location... A world in the future...
When it gets too heavy with IP Character it feels less special... More like a commercial on TV. Less Luxe... More mundane... More like an All Star resort...
I am glad the current updates don't make it feel like that last line. Looks very well done.

Disstevefan1

These are two things I really like about the new rooms, too.

Not a fan of carpets in hotel rooms and much prefer these neater and cleaner style of wooden bed frames. The less sense of big spongey expanses of fabric absorbing the essence of every guest and everything they're doing in there the better!
And don't forget the WDW mildew :)

Mr. Moderate

I would like to have seen more tropical color and not so much reliance on every character from Moana and while it was a beautiful movie, it just seems out of place to overuse a IP on a classic Disney deluxe resort. The old saying less is more, applies here and at least it isn't as bad as the new Incredibles rooms at the Contemporary and that design belongs in a value resort room, not in one of the original 1971 WDW classic resorts. I firmly believe in keeping a classic resort, updated to a point, but always remembering the past as well and incorporating it when possible. Hopefully I'll enjoy my stay there in October and the new design will grow on me.

However on the plus side the no carpet and the new bed design is big win, imho. I think hotel carpet is gross and 3 weeks ago when I stayed at The Mirage in LV, the rooms were dirty and the carpet would darken your socks after walking on it for a period of time. Carpet holds in bacteria and filth and the smell of damp carpet after being cleaned is unpleasant when checking into a hotel room, no matter how deodorizer they try to mask it with. I've done commercial carpet cleaning at one point in my life and it's shocking what you pull out of carpets, even when they don't look that bad on the surface.

Disney Analyst

I know they are doing a refurb to the DVC side later this year, and I'd assume some of these same elements will show up there, but DVC typically has the pull out couch and not a second bed. Does anybody know if this refurb is likely to include the murphy beds? I don't know if they normally would swap out couches in a "soft goods" refurb. My thought is that they did in Kidani recently but not sure if that is common.

I am thinking yes. Apparently this is the bungalow - I assume DVC would also get the Murphy bed.

UNCgolf

something that can appeal to a young demographic is not the same as something purpose built for a young demographic.

that is what OP expressed. but many here like to hijack comments with their own agenda

That's absolutely true -- but almost everything at WDW appeals to a young demographic and, intentional or not, the comment implied otherwise. There's never been much there that wasn't designed with kids at least partially in mind.

Of course, the other issue with that is that kids aren't a monolith. What appeals to some kids doesn't appeal to others. A lot of people like to claim original EPCOT was hated by kids, but that's just not true -- some kids didn't like it and some kids loved it.

Even as a 7 or 8 year old I would have been far more interested in a room that made me feel like I was in some other time period or location than one that was just a bunch of characters. I know the majority of children probably feel otherwise, but it's certainly not a 100% appeal kind of thing.

FigmentFan82

That's absolutely true -- but almost everything at WDW appeals to a young demographic and, intentional or not, the comment implied otherwise. There's never been much there that wasn't designed with kids at least partially in mind.

Of course, the other issue with that is that kids aren't a monolith. What appeals to some kids doesn't appeal to others. A lot of people like to claim original EPCOT was hated by kids, but that's just not true -- some kids didn't like it and some kids loved it.
almost everything in WDW appeals to adults as well. it's like in movies there are films for "all ages" and then there are "kids movies". my opinion is that the majority of what TDO does at the resort is for "all ages"

UNCgolf

almost everything in WDW appeals to adults as well. it's like in movies there are films for "all ages" and then there are "kids movies". my opinion is that the majority of what TDO does at the resort is for "all ages"

I agree -- that's exactly what I said. Disney has usually built things that appeal to both kids and adults.

If/when they change and build something that's designed solely for kids that doesn't really appeal to adults, that's a change most people aren't going to like.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I am thinking yes. Apparently this is the bungalow - I assume DVC would also get the Murphy bed.

New rug, fabrics, Murphy bed couch in place of sofa bed couch, tiling, oven, stove and "little touches" are what's reported in the bungalow (original post Tikiman references). I'd expect the Murphy bed in the studios as the biggest change there.

Most interesting is that the bungalows do NOT have the Moana touches from what we can tell from shared photos. I had expected Moana in the studios for resort cohesion but now I'm unsure but doubting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom