News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

UNCgolf

Except you literally started your post with this question:

And went on to explain why it wasn’t necessary.

That’s what I was responding to.

No I didn't.

I'm sorry that you read it that way, but I have no idea why you would think anything I said meant that all seating should be removed from lobbies. That would be an idiotic argument. I just didn't think it was necessary to actually spell that out.

Last edited:

aliceismad

Just because something exudes a non-modern appearance doesn't mean it lacks value or beauty. Modernization can often lead to a negative impact on decor as it frequently reduces detail. That said, I grew up in the 90s and never associated the lobby centerpiece with outdated looking hotels. It was a bit of natural scenery that would have continued to be beautiful itself even if the decor around it changed (and it did change, with the centerpiece remaining and looking beautiful for decades before they removed it).
I don't disagree with you. I preferred the fountain and can see the value it brought to the space, but I'm not a Disney exec or a beancounter of things. I'm sure the statue and lights cost less to keep working than the fountain, and I can see the trend of modernization that they seem to be leaning toward.

I think the history of WDW is something that Disney doesn't focus on enough, but maybe they don't see the money in that, or maybe I have overlooked things. Certainly I don't visit as often as many on this board.

Thelazer

If you've watched the Travel Channel 5 years ago, I'd say yes it was all about the hotel lobby's.
Now if you watch it, hell.. I dunno.

nickys

Premium Member
No I didn't.

I'm sorry that you read it that way, but I have no idea why you would think anything I said meant that all seating should be removed from lobbies. That would be an idiotic argument.

Also, considering the context of the thread, it shouldn't have been that difficult to understand what I was responding to.
I didn’t think you meant all seating should be removed. You asked whether it was necessary.

This evening I have skim read several pages of people arguing about the fountain and whether or not the old or new was easier to find the check-in. Or something.

But then came across you asking a very specific question. I attempted to provide a counter opinion. I put my hands up and admit that I did not go back to get the full context. I simply decided your question deserved an answer.

The condescension was unnecessary.

_caleb

In a related question, does lobby seating really matter anymore?

Disney has been streamlining things to the point of removing any reason for guests to go to the lobby at all. They can just head straight to their rooms if everything works as intended. There just isn't much reason for people to sit in the lobby, unless there's some other specific reason to be there. Disney has been removing those reasons as well, though -- the old Polynesian lobby was nice to sit in because of the gardens, and the Grand Floridian lobby was great because of the orchestra, but neither of those exist now.

Of course you always want to have some seating available, but there just shouldn't ever be large groups of people waiting around to check-in and needing somewhere to sit.
Yes! Without the fountain, seating doesn’t matter. But the new push to have guests bypass the front desk/lobby altogether makes the lobby a waste of space. Back when it was a destination (like you mention, somewhere you wanted to hang out and soak in the ambiance), the seating was important.

But this seems to be the case at all the resorts. Our last stay was at AoA, and the cool lobby with music, color-changing LEDs, and classic animation artwork on the walls had literally one two-person bench to sit on. So instead we went out and sat on a metal park bench next to some fiberglass statues like we were at a McDonald’s Playplace.

DisneyOutsider

The old Poly lobby was definitely better. That doesn't mean the current lobby sucks. I think it's quite pleasant and I would like it even more if I had never experienced the old lobby in the first place. A lot will be riding on how well they do on the entrance re-do. I'm nervous about that - no details or art available for that.

Not every change to the Poly has been a downgrade. The second pool added on the DVC side might be my favorite pool at WDW (speaking as someone whose favorite resort overall is the Poly). Quiet, full service bar and grille, hot tub, much less crowded than the main pool.

Trader Sam's was also an awesome addition.

I'm anti-bungalow for several reasons... if you're going to take away all of that really nice beach area, then these bungalows should be more accessible/affordable. They're priced way too high and there's nothing that Disney can do to fix this without also angering a large group of DVC members. Also - for that price, you're telling me you couldn't have upgraded the plunge pool to an actual hot tub? c'mon, man.

**Also... LOL at any discussion surrounding WDW resorts becoming 5 star resorts. Not gonna happen

MickeyLuv'r

Of course you always want to have some seating available, but there just shouldn't ever be large groups of people waiting around to check-in and needing somewhere to sit.
Except that's only one end of the vacation. Vacations also have a tail end. In which case, they may very well want to hang out in the lobby before they leave. I'm certain I'd rather hang out in a nice hotel lobby over most airports.

The lobby also serves as a place to meet up. When i travel with extended family, we can't all fit in one hotel room. A lobby or lounge is usually where we opt to gather.

Another time I find myself hanging out in the hotel lobby, including the Poly, is when I'm waiting on a table. WDW has absolutely NO problem making me wait for my seating time, despite making an ADR 180 days out (before COVID-19), and arriving ahead of my ADR time. Very specifically, the last time I ate at 'Ohana, we waited over 45 minutes past our ADR time, which was crazy in 2019. The waiting area by the restaurant was packed, so we walked around and explored the lobby.

In the before times, hanging out in the lobby of GF was one of the highlights of visiting WDW. The live musicians were simply outstanding! Not only did GF have a live orchestra, they also had highly talented live pianists that were simply a joy to hear. Going back approximately 10 years, Poly also used to feature live musicians in the evenings.

UNCgolf

Except that's only one end of the vacation. Vacations also have a tail end. In which case, they may very well want to hang out in the lobby before they leave. I'm certain I'd rather hang out in a nice hotel lobby over most airports.

The lobby also serves as a place to meet up. When i travel with extended family, we can't all fit in one hotel room. A lobby or lounge is usually where we opt to gather.

Another time I find myself hanging out in the hotel lobby, including the Poly, is when I'm waiting on a table. WDW has absolutely NO problem making me wait for my seating time, despite making an ADR 180 days out (before COVID-19), and arriving ahead of my ADR time. Very specifically, the last time I ate at 'Ohana, we waited over 45 minutes past our ADR time, which was crazy in 2019. The waiting area by the restaurant was packed, so we walked around and explored the lobby.

In the before times, hanging out in the lobby of GF was one of the highlights of visiting WDW. The live musicians were simply outstanding! Not only did GF have a live orchestra, they also had highly talented live pianists that were simply a joy to hear. Going back approximately 10 years, Poly also used to feature live musicians in the evenings.

The last part is what I mentioned. There used to be good reasons to hang out in the lobbies, especially at the Grand Floridian, but those reasons have mostly been removed.

As for your other point -- sure, but those reasons aren't significantly different than check-in. There are always going to be times where there are people sitting in the lobby for various reasons but they're just not busy anymore. I haven't seen an actually busy lobby in any of the WDW hotels in a very long time, although I'm sure they occasionally are during big events (especially at the values).

MickeyLuv'r

Again, I'd say GF is a good place to describe. I have seen it busy in the past 5 years. Oh my gosh, when they display the Easter eggs, it is PACKED with people. if you've never been when they are on display, then you've been missing out. At least, I hope the Easter eggs return. They are truly among WDW's best traditions!

Another time I have seen the hotel lobbies quite busy is during summer afternoon thunderstorms. Lots of folks enjoy strolling the Boardwalk area, so when afternoon storms hit, they need some place to go to be dry.

I can also think of many non WDW-hotels I have visited in the past 5 years, where the lobbies are quite busy and enjoyable places to hang out. Universal's hotels come to mind. The RP has a beautiful courtyard with a very pretty fountain. In the morning, it was a delightful place to sip a warm morning beverage and perhaps nibble a pastry. The HRH has a giant video screen, and in the afternoons/evenings they often had live music. WL, and a many hotels I have visited around major holidays have beautiful décor. If you ever get to Dearborn, I highly suggest visiting the Henry Hotel. The lobby is an art gallery. The Casa Monica in St. Augustine also has an art gallery just off the lobby. And while not directly in the lobby...WDW's BWK has the lovely Wyland Gallery. (closed for now)

Oh, there are still some Grand Old Hotels out there! (What GF is modeled after, more or less)

I personally don't always understand the appeal of Starbucks' as places people hang out, so I understand you personally probably dont enjoy hanging out in hotel lobbies, but a nice lobby is a fine place to be! Or at least was....

Last edited:

MrHappy

Any thoughts on timing. The new station has gone vertical, and it’s not that much to actually build. Maybe the front and station are completed my May 1. Moana rooms June 1?

MickeyLuv'r

But this seems to be the case at all the resorts. Our last stay was at AoA, and the cool lobby with music, color-changing LEDs, and classic animation artwork on the walls had literally one two-person bench to sit on. So instead we went out and sat on a metal park bench next to some fiberglass statues like we were at a McDonald’s Playplace.
When I think of WDW, and new hotels...the new Gran Destino comes to mind. The lobby there is most certainly a place to hang out, or at least parts of it. You can see some of the options (complete with people sitting) in the WDWMagic 2019 holiday lobby pics, but the pics don't include a great image of what I'm going to call the tech lounge area. To the left of the main lobby entrance is a long table with lots of seats and electric outlets for people who want to hang out using their electronic gadgets. Below/beyond the main entrance is the bar/lounge area, and a number of place to sit.

Universal's Sapphire Falls also has a big seating area and a giant television. I mean giant! My first stay there happened to coincide with the last Olympics, and it was hard to walk past the area without stopping to catch an event or two....

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

PHOTOS - Rebuilding the monorail station at the Great Ceremonial House at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort​

Disneys-Polynesian-Resort_Full_40940.jpg

Bocabear

you can be sure it will be more modern and less interesting... I have given up waiting for them to undertake a project at the hotels that actually turns out more beautiful...instead of less interesting and more serviceable...more Marriott-like.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom