News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

tirian

Unless they are planning on some other structural support, some of the beams must be decorative and not load bearing. I like the beams 🤷🏻‍♂️
It's already a clear wide open lobby area that is usually uncrowded and vacant...What do they need more open space for? Is it just to try and look more like a Hampton Inn because "Guest Surveys" say that people want more open space and less theming?
I am baffled by the decisions the company makes lately.

Same here. I hate how negative all the forums have been lately (including my own posts), but it’s not because WDWMagic suddenly went Doom-and-Gloom. We’re long-time theme-park fans who are reacting to odd corporate decisions.

I’m honestly baffled by the choices made over these last three years. From pricing to refurbs to paint jobs to carefully stripping “theme” from the themed resorts, I don’t understand what’s happening.:(

trainplane3

I got some leaked concept art on the "Wild West hotel" that we'll be getting. As you can tell they really evoke the feeling of the west by having some beautifully sculpted rocks out front. But wait, there's more! A small scattering of tumble weed are adoring the grounds as well. Truly next level theming.
heavily themed hotel2.png

Oh, I also got ahold of the "Tropical Paradise hotel" as well! They truly went all out. You have the total feeling of being in a true tropical paradise. Look at the palm trees! Some small sand areas give you that beachy feeling and the incredibly gorgeous beach balls on the roof really make it feel magical. And what's the beach without the ocean? That's right, a detailed water feature is right there by the front doors!!
heavily themed hotel3.png

Point is the more you take away from a hotel, what's left to make it unique? Just build a box, paint it some ridiculous color, put some stickers around the lobby and call it finished (or Pop, or All Star, or....Riviera). I really am curious what the end result of this refurb will be.

lazyboy97o

Oh, I also got ahold of the "Tropical Paradise hotel" as well! They truly went all out. You have the total feeling of being in a true tropical paradise. Look at the palm trees! Some small sand areas give you that beachy feeling and the incredibly gorgeous beach balls on the roof really make it feel magical. And what's the beach without the ocean? That's right, a detailed water feature is right there by the front doors!!
View attachment 499690
Pretty sure that’s art for Endless Summer.

Bocabear

I think they might be referencing these beams more than the interior beams but that is just a guess.
If they removed those beams they would be left with a square block of a building... the roof beam detail is the only real architectural flourish for the building and is visible from a great distance. I doubt they would touch these...unless there is a plan for something else added to the top...which I somehow doubt...Unless they plan on tearing the whole thing down and replacing it with the Aulani Lobby building, but that would be an incredible amount of money spent to replace it with something similar.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Same here. I hate how negative all the forums have been lately (including my own posts), but it’s not because WDWMagic suddenly went Doom-and-Gloom. We’re long-time theme-park fans who are reacting to odd corporate decisions.

I’m honestly baffled by the choices made over these last three years. From pricing to refurbs to paint jobs to carefully stripping “theme” from the themed resorts, I don’t understand what’s happening.:(

Specifically, with Disney's Polynesian Villiage Resort, IMHO removing the clumsily applied "Lilo and Stitch" theming isn't a bad thing, Aliens and Hawaiʻi was an odd combination especially when applied to a resort that had been open for 30 years and doing fine without it. The current O'hana restaurant space hasn't changed since it replaced Papeete Bay Verandah in 1995.

MrHappy

I’m not sure what the debate is about. From what I read here and other sites, they will update the Porte Cochere, front Entrance (hopefully making it even more tropical and lush), and will Modify the Monorail Station. It’s mostly front exterior work. For some reason it’s reported that interior cross beams will be removed which seems like a waste of time. Also, there may be some new paint and textiles. But, @MisterPenguin is much better at tracking along than I am so...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m not sure what the debate is about. From what I read here and other sites, they will update the Porte Cochere, front Entrance (hopefully making it even more tropical and lush), and will Modify the Monorail Station. It’s mostly front exterior work. For some reason it’s reported that interior cross beams will be removed which seems like a waste of time. Also, there may be some new paint and textiles. But, @MisterPenguin is much better at tracking along than I am so...

All I got is what's in this thread, which is just Disney's announcement and color commentary.

castlecake2.0

However likely or unlikely, I truly hope it isn’t these. They tie the architecture of the longhouses to the GCH, and I think they’re very distinctive and give a sense of character to the resort.
Totally agree. I actually like most of the recent refurbishments that reduce the amount of clutter around the resorts, like the POP rooms, but for the Poly I love it’s 70s vibe and don’t want to lose that. I feel the Polynesian and Contemporary need to fully embrace their history and allow other resorts to give people the minimalist options. I do wish the contemporary concourse level was getting this update rather than recently updated Polynesian.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom