News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

TTA94

I’ve not heard of drones being part of the show

Are you aware of any new effects going on outside of the lagoon aside from the usual pavilion lighting? New lighting or anything?

Was curious to if there are doing any sound system updates?

DreamfinderGuy

The video in the Epcot preview center of the new nighttime show indicates that the Morocco and Norway pavilions will soon be included among the other pavilions outlined in lights. That's a plus after all these years.
I don’t feel that’s a plus at all. Hope it’s just for aesthetics in the preview center and won’t transfer over to the real deal.

FullSailDan

Rivers of Light had a meaningful story and theme, just poorly conveyed because the directors overestimated a general audience's ability/willingness to interpret symbolism and pantomime with barely any exposition.

Hrmmm... I've yet to see that story well documented and explained. Honestly though, if your production, in a theme park setting, needs a cheat sheet, you've missed the mark. Animal Kingdom isn't a trip to the opera for many reasons. They should have known their audience.

FigmentJedi

Hrmmm... I've yet to see that story well documented and explained. Honestly though, if your production, in a theme park setting, needs a cheat sheet, you've missed the mark. Animal Kingdom isn't a trip to the opera for many reasons. They should have known their audience.
Old mommy blogger panel of one of the directors going through the beats of the original show and before they cut the mini lanterns, started off with the lotuses, and describing a stronger connection to the Tree of Life Awakens show in that mystical fireflies living in the tree are involved in both.

The basic gist of things is that the Shamans call upon the animal spirits to take us on a magical mystery tour through the natural world before ascending to the aurora borealis (which as Inuit myth and Brother Bear will tell you, is an animal spirit realm) and the constellations, which are just as full of animal stories. While the animal spirits appear to us in the form of the barges at first, they break free from them at the end of the opening sequence, becoming lights dancing among the lotuses, before taking us through their different habitats and you have moments of the shaman teams interacting with the spirits like Team Fire playing a horn to cue the tiger leaping through the lotuses or Team Water releasing the owl from their boat to kick off the Alaskan tundra segment.

Tapestry of Nations started similarly vague 20 years ago, but they quickly fixed it in a couple of months with additional narration to explain the Sage, drums, and even the torches. No idea why the Rivers of Light team didn't think of doing something similar.

TTA94

@marni1971 Do you know the reason why they are debuting such a major show (Harmonius) Before the park’s transformation is, even close to, being completed? Timing seems to be off. I feel like they ended Illuminations to soon, or they should have created a stronger interim show that could have lasted until at least Some of the transformation was completed? By 2023 won’t Harmomius been kinda, old news? Unless it will be THAT amazing and mind blowing that will keep guests wanting to see it over and over again. Unlike Rivers of Light that’s more a less a one and done and forgetful show. Maybe that’s why they put Steve Davison in charge of Harmonius? Lol. Granted WDWs team created HEA and that happened to become very popular.

trainplane3

@marni1971 Do you know the reason why they are debuting such a major show (Harmonius) Before the park’s transformation is, even close to, being completed? Timing seems to be off. I feel like they ended Illuminations to soon, or they should have created a stronger interim show that could have lasted until at least Some of the transformation was completed? By 2023 won’t Harmomius been kinda, old news? Unless it will be THAT amazing and mind blowing that will keep guests wanting to see it over and over again. Unlike Rivers of Light that’s more a less a one and done and forgetful show. Maybe that’s why they put Steve Davison in charge of Harmonius? Lol. Granted WDWs team created HEA and that happened to become very popular.
You need something to keep drawing crowds back in. Rat will help that and a night show will keep them in the park later.

TTA94

Old mommy blogger panel of one of the directors going through the beats of the original show and before they cut the mini lanterns, started off with the lotuses, and describing a stronger connection to the Tree of Life Awakens show in that mystical fireflies living in the tree are involved in both.

The basic gist of things is that the Shamans call upon the animal spirits to take us on a magical mystery tour through the natural world before ascending to the aurora borealis (which as Inuit myth and Brother Bear will tell you, is an animal spirit realm) and the constellations, which are just as full of animal stories. While the animal spirits appear to us in the form of the barges at first, they break free from them at the end of the opening sequence, becoming lights dancing among the lotuses, before taking us through their different habitats and you have moments of the shaman teams interacting with the spirits like Team Fire playing a horn to cue the tiger leaping through the lotuses or Team Water releasing the owl from their boat to kick off the Alaskan tundra segment.

Tapestry of Nations started similarly vague 20 years ago, but they quickly fixed it in a couple of months with additional narration to explain the Sage, drums, and even the torches. No idea why the Rivers of Light team didn't think of doing something similar.

Oh how nice RoL would have, could have been. Goes to show to never trust concept art lol. Thing is fans, including myself, had very high expectations and then the delay happened and it all turned into a hot mess sadly ☹️. Hope one day RoL can be fixed. Maybe Harmonius will cause a change for RoL?

At least the concept art for Harmonius has been very simple and not showing all the effects. Smart move.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Harmonious is late. It should’ve opened as the start of the park overhaul.

TTA94

Not that it matters much but that video they released yesterday doesn’t seem to be up to date. From the most recent shots we have seen back stage I think they are further along than that. They already had some of the arm mechanisms installed and 3 barges in the water.

TTA94

Since Tokyo’s Fantasmic was Steve Davison’s project and what looks like a similar set up, which I believe marni already told us, minus the moving barges and the center hat. Maybe this will give us something to go by as far as what to expect from the fountains? Hopefully more than less, especially because WS Lagoon is huge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom