News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Bryan W

A good friend of mine, former CM in Florida (who is a brilliant CAD designer and really should be an imagineer) said to me:
"Why couldn't they build a few of those bridge pier building sites in the lagoon? Flood them and the barges float up for the show. Drain them and the barges disappear. You could even hide them with fountains or something"
I don't know if the lagoon is deep enough for that because the barges are pretty tall. I thought it was an interesting solution.

Something similar to this but "Disney-pretty":
BridgePiers.jpeg

UNCgolf

This actually brings up something I hadn't thought of before.

I wonder if there's any potential for bird poop to cause problems with the barges. Having the fountains on may keep birds from perching on them, but it may not -- and that's only if the fountains actually do run non-stop. Those things could end up covered with poop regularly.

It sounds like a joke but that has to be something Disney thought about, right?

Last edited:

SplashJacket

This actually brings up something I hadn't thought of before.

I wonder if there's any potential for bird poop to cause problems with the barges. Having the fountains on may keep birds from perching on them, but it may not -- and that's only if the fountains actually do run non-stop. Those things could end up covered with poop regularly.
It all makes sense now! The fountains are just a really expensive anti-bird system.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
I hate these things whole heartedly, but if the bases would go in the water say 6 feet then I think that would make all the difference in the world. They are way too tall and not designed properly. If the screen came down closer to the water level and became a fountain, I think it would be much better received. So this is 2021 Disney Design. So, we lose great Imagineers and gain straight out of internship ones?

This is what you get.

Thelazer

So, we lose great Imagineers and gain straight out of internship ones?

So we get to the heart of the matter.

But lets not blame them quite yet. From what has been discussed these "Barges" were originally going to be brought out nightly and hidden in the daytime, so the intent was there to do this right.

THEN something changed that.

Now the question is, when "Something" changed that.. What happened?

Did those Imagineer's go back to the drawing board? Did they speak up, try to adjust the Barge size?
Or did they just play it safe, as to not rock the boat and risk their jobs.

(FWIW, I'd respect someone who rocks the boat a heck of a lot more, than someone who just agrees with the boss man)

SpectroMagician

Those barges look like they EASILY could have been 10 feet lower in the water. Likely too many moving parts too now with the water jets for daytime so they will become a big cost hole and Disney will probably get rid of it after a few years.

Disney's long term planning has been horrible recently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom