News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

HwdStudio

Rivers of Light is dumb because AK is really not a great night time park. The resistance to IP from fans comes from EPCOT originally being able to hold its own. We loved it BECAUSE it wasn't movie based. IP takes ZERO imagination. Projecting movie clips on things takes ZERO imagination.
I love AK at night better than any other park. I think is incredible. Different strokes for different folks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wasn't even a huge fan of Illuminations in any of its forms, but I absolutely appreciated the ambience and spectacle and....tastefulness to end the day. There's just no way this will match it. No way. Projections of Groot 'n' Olaf? No.

Always my favorite park, by far, but little by little, away it goes. And it's NOT solely about nostalgia. Truly creative/superior minds (aka not the current exec lizards) could find a way to keep Epcot relevant and true to its vision without resorting to this stuff. But when the audience is mostly clamoring for it too, well....then it's over. Hopefully they prove me wrong. I won't hold my breath.

Winner of this thread

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Do we know definitively that there will be characters in this show, or is it like how we "knew definitively" that there would be less shells in Happily Ever After?

Do we know that there isn’t less shells?

Or the better question: how many will there be by 2020?

...vigilance is the only policy here.

RSoxNo1

The amount of pressure on the Reflections of Earth replacement cannot be understated. It will shape the future of that park. For me, Reflections of Earth is Epcot more than Spaceship Earth.

If the replacement falls short, it will cement Epcot as the worst Disney park in the world.

Tony the Tigger

Even though we've known this for months, I still felt sad when hearing this. I look forward to what the new show will bring but I am not confident that Disney can top RoE.

^^

:cry: oh no. My favorite..

and ^^

I have no problem with IP coming, but I will miss this show. This is the height of Disney emotion on display. Go back in time to shortly after 9/11/01 and hear “We Go On” and try not to get choked up. I will never forget that.

At least we got more notice than with some other things. I’ll make a few special trips to see it before it’s gone, and then I’ll go see the new one.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm happy the show is being replaced - I'm just also simultaneously concerned about what they will come up with.

Stagnation = bad
Shows that are worse than their predecessor = also bad

What Disney will come up with that fits World Showcase in this day and age... scares the crap out of me

Magic Feather

Another thing I will say is that Epcot at night will not be the same. Between the torchlight illuminating the walkways, and the preshow music loop playing, it made for a quintessentially Epcot experience. I am (pleasantly?) surprised that the changeover would be overnight, although the new show debuting during Food and Wine seems a bit odd. Sure it is not pulling the numbers that it used to, but there are times when Epcot hurts far worse (cough, the Summer of Diet Epcot, cough).

Father Robinson

People keep saying 20 years, 20 years.. how long has the original Fantasmic! been running? Just wish they could keep this masterpiece fresh instead of outright change just for change. What will become of the torches and the inferno barge? Those amazing showpieces now just retiring? The torches even during the day added wonderful scenery to WSL. It seems to me though that they will at least stick around for a while? Unless they can remove them all overnight which seems unlikely. I really hate to be pessimistic, but I just can't see anything topping this and being appropriate for EPCOT. Wishes IMO was easier to replace only due to its nature.

SoupBone

Another thing I will say is that Epcot at night will not be the same. Between the torchlight illuminating the walkways, and the preshow music loop playing, it made for a quintessentially Epcot experience. I am (pleasantly?) surprised that the changeover would be overnight, although the new show debuting during Food and Wine seems a bit odd. Sure it is not pulling the numbers that it used to, but there are times when Epcot hurts far worse (cough, the Summer of Diet Epcot, cough).

I loved the preshow music, honestly as much as the show itself. The last two times I noticed it wasn't playing. I found that odd.

atjimfromdisney

I remember always trying to beat the end of the show while speedwalking from France pavilion to the entertainment base to clock out before the masses exited. Usually would have the finale hit right as I made it backstage.
Memories I won't soon forget.

Hayley In Wonderland

So many people doubting, but based off of previous shows at WDW, Disney always hit the nail on the head with production and what they come up with. HEA is a perfect example. As much as the show is loved, there's no doubting EPCOT needs an overhaul, and a new show will be good for it. 20 years is a good time, it's run its course and it's now time for something new to take its place. I'm excited :)

Hayley In Wonderland

Don't want to start a whole thing in this thread...but on a whole I prefer Wishes. I think the projection and fireworks in Happily Ever After are amazing and I love the inclusion of "forgotten classics" like the Hunchback and Hercules, but Wishes struck an emotional chord with us every time and it stayed with us throughout the entire show. A lot of regulars in my crowd feel that Happily Ever After has peaks and valleys but the same people always felt that Wishes "had them at hello" and it never let go until the finale. Just some different opinions.

In regards to Illuminations...only time will tell, but I'm eager to see what they come up with. I hope it still packs the wallop that Reflections of Earth has been hitting me with for years now. I never tire of it.
Try going to DLP and seeing what they replaced Dreams with. Illuminations at DLP is awful and probably the worst Disney castle show ever. Gutted it's not leaving along with the 25th anniversary, I want Dreams back :cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom