News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Bocabear

"If there is already Japan Pavilion at EPCOT, why the Sinbad ride were never built here?"

Because the ride does not take place in Japan, but in the Japanese Disney Seas Theme park...in the Arabian Coast section of the park.
It could be shoehorned into Morocco, but I doubt they would ever spend that kind of money to do a long animatronic spectacular like this ride in the US... Sadly.

cookiee_munster

Excellent post.
As a guy who's horrified at houses that are decorated for Christmas like the image on the left, I'm dumbfounded when I see and hear people go nuts over decor like that.
And yes, that's what I'm getting from this new show and all of it's hardware.

Even i thought the subtle pic was still OTT but i was trying to make a reference to things in terms of showmanship, effects and hardware used in a show as grand as something Disney can pull off. Sometimes just toning it down can do wonders. :)

MrPromey

I kind of love the idea of the addition of a walkway being added to the back of Japan that leads to a clone Tokyo Disney Sea in its entirety.

They could make it the 5th gate and set it up just like Universal did with Harry Potter except instead of the Hogwarts Express, you ride a bullet train and instead of going to Hogwarts on that train, you go to a better version of a Disney park than Disney wants to pay to build, themselves.

Bocabear

I kind of love the idea of the addition of a walkway being added to the back of Japan that leads to a clone Tokyo Disney Sea in its entirety.
While there is no space to do that unless they demolished the Boardwalk Resort in it's entirety, they could build it next to Animal Kingdom and share the parking lot...There appears to be tons of space there...

Tom Morrow

Since they're probably going to keep this around for at least a few years, and although most of us don't like it, the actual overall reaction is probably closer to "mixed"... the best we can hope for is that they edit and rework it a bit:

1. No reason for this show to be 20 minutes long. Keep the same amount of pyro but reduce the amount of time we are only watching screens while the tentacle things slowly change positions. This show could probably edited down to 15 minutes and not lose anything worthwhile at all. The pacing and energy wouldn't feel so sluggish and dull if this were tightened up.

2. The show reveals all of its hands way too early. It begins by showcasing all of the tech on the lake, but maybe it should begin with pyro, which everyone knows going in will be an element, and then gradually reveal all the ways the (unfortunate) barges can morph and whatnot.

3. The screens need to be showing something better than what looks like a college freshman's computer animations. I don't want them to just replace them with clips straight from the films, but they need to look better than they do.

4. Open and close with an original song that actually sets whatever theme they are attempting and is memorable. There actually is an opener and closer, but it isn't memorable.

5. Add narration in between at least some of the segments to help tie it together. I still wouldn't believe there actually is an overarching theme to the song choices, but it would at least feel like a finished and somewhat more cohesive product. A narration is also less repetitive than a dark "hold for applause" after every segment. It can be the same voice as the beginning and end... I actually did like that.

6. Remove the freaking Jungle Book and any other song that has absolutely no connection to any of the pavilions. Most of them are already iffy associations at best, aside from Coco, but there's absolutely no reason at all that The Jungle Book and a few others should be in there. Wishful thinking, but maybe ensure each pavilion is represented, and if they don't have a damn Disney song to pair with, showcase some traditional style music from them. I realize this would be tricky to get right.

Please Disney, take note. I fear that their takeaway is going to be, "well the fans are just butthurt over the loss of IllumiNations." But even though I adored IllumiNations, I assure you I was more than willing to give this a fair chance. I feel 100% confident that these changes would improve the show and I hate that I, with no experience in show production, came up with them when industry leaders did not. I think whoever said that, with all the layoffs from Covid, everyone was just agreeing with everything over fear of getting laid off. The result is a show with many, many elements where someone should have stepped in and said "this doesn't work."

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Still more realistic than next operating it with Japanese standards.
In Florida it would be run down in 3-7 weeks. "Did you know that on the Sinbad ride in Japan that many of the animatronics moved from time to time? Also, the roof of the show building doesn't leak."

hpyhnt 1000

Since they're probably going to keep this around for at least a few years, and although most of us don't like it, the actual overall reaction is probably closer to "mixed"... the best we can hope for is that they edit and rework it a bit:

1. No reason for this show to be 20 minutes long. Keep the same amount of pyro but reduce the amount of time we are only watching screens while the tentacle things slowly change positions. This show could probably edited down to 15 minutes and not lose anything worthwhile at all. The pacing and energy wouldn't feel so sluggish and dull if this were tightened up.

2. The show reveals all of its hands way too early. It begins by showcasing all of the tech on the lake, but maybe it should begin with pyro, which everyone knows going in will be an element, and then gradually reveal all the ways the (unfortunate) barges can morph and whatnot.

3. The screens need to be showing something better than what looks like a college freshman's computer animations. I don't want them to just replace them with clips straight from the films, but they need to look better than they do.

4. Open and close with an original song that actually sets whatever theme they are attempting and is memorable. There actually is an opener and closer, but it isn't good or memorable.

5. Add narration in between at least some of the segments to help tie it together. I still wouldn't believe there actually is an overarching theme to the song choices, but it would at least feel like a finished product. It can be the same voice as the beginning and end... I actually did like that.

6. Remove the freaking Jungle Book and any other song that has absolutely no connection to any of the pavilions. Most of them are already iffy associations at best, aside from Coco, but there's absolutely no reason at all that The Jungle Book and a few others should be in there. Wishful thinking, but maybe ensure each pavilion is represented, and if they don't have a damn Disney song to pair with, showcase some traditional style music from them. I realize this would be tricky.

Please Disney, take note. I fear that their takeaway is going to be, "well the fans are just butthurt over the loss of IllumiNations." But even though I adored IllumiNations, I assure you I was more than willing to give this a fair chance. I feel 100% confident that these changes would improve the show and I hate that I, with no experience in show production, came up with them when industry leaders did not. I think whoever said that, with all the layoffs from Covid, everyone was just agreeing with everything over fear of getting laid off.
7. Get rid of the Stargate. That thing somehow manages to be both over and underwhelming at the same time. During the day, it's a gigantic eyesore that can't be mitigated, yet it's also pretty much superfluous during the actual show with your eye drawn to the much brighter and higher resolution taco barges. Getting rid of it would improve daytime views while sacrificing almost nothing during the show.

Tom Morrow

7. Get rid of the Stargate. That thing somehow manages to be both over and underwhelming at the same time. During the day, it's a gigantic eyesore that can't be mitigated, yet it's also pretty much superfluous during the actual show with your eye drawn to the much brighter and higher resolution taco barges. Getting rid of it would improve daytime views while sacrificing almost nothing during the show.

Yeah, not to mention more than 50% of the lagoon can't actually view it during the show.

pdude81

If they only had to redesign/reimagine one thing that could come in/out from backstage each night, it's this one thing. And while at it, make the rotate.

edit: not a curse word, curiously redacted.

wtyy21

4. Open and close with an original song that actually sets whatever theme they are attempting and is memorable. There actually is an opener and closer, but it isn't good or memorable.

5. Add narration in between at least some of the segments to help tie it together. I still wouldn't believe there actually is an overarching theme to the song choices, but it would at least feel like a finished and somewhat more cohesive product. A narration is also less monotonous than a dark "hold for applause" after every segment. It can be the same voice as the beginning and end... I actually did like that.

6. Remove the freaking Jungle Book and any other song that has absolutely no connection to any of the pavilions. Most of them are already iffy associations at best, aside from Coco, but there's absolutely no reason at all that The Jungle Book and a few others should be in there. Wishful thinking, but maybe ensure each pavilion is represented, and if they don't have a damn Disney song to pair with, showcase some traditional style music from them. I realize this would be tricky to get right.

Please Disney, take note. I fear that their takeaway is going to be, "well the fans are just butthurt over the loss of IllumiNations." But even though I adored IllumiNations, I assure you I was more than willing to give this a fair chance. I feel 100% confident that these changes would improve the show and I hate that I, with no experience in show production, came up with them when industry leaders did not. I think whoever said that, with all the layoffs from Covid, everyone was just agreeing with everything over fear of getting laid off. The result is a show with many, many elements where someone should have stepped in and said "this doesn't work."

In point 4, the EPCOT anthem is the original song.
But, i agree in point 6, because music from the Jungle Book too similar to Mickey's Mix Magic and has nothing to do with 11 countries at the Pavilion, unless India Pavilion is ever built.

Disney Analyst

I obviously haven't gotten to see this in person, West Coast Canadian here.

But I have now watched videos several times, and honestly... I find this show simply gorgeous. If more pyro is still to come due to Covid supply issues, it will be even more crazy. The finale gives me all the feels. I love the music throughout. Visually stunning.

I wish I could experience world-class entertainment like this in my city, ya'll in Orlando are lucky.

ToTBellHop

I obviously haven't gotten to see this in person, West Coast Canadian here.

But I have now watched videos several times, and honestly... I find this show simply gorgeous. If more pyro is still to come due to Covid supply issues, it will be even more crazy. The finale gives me all the feels. I love the music throughout. Visually stunning.

I wish I could experience world-class entertainment like this in my city, ya'll in Orlando are lucky.
This one honestly wouldn’t be that hard to fix with some editing. There are things I would have done differently in the engineering but the structures they built are fine (though ugly in the sun). Just tighten it up as some have mentioned. I agree some visuals are gorgeous if you get a good spot.

Aren’t some of the best spots blocked by America Gardens?

Disney Analyst

This one honestly wouldn’t be that hard to fix with some editing. There are things I would have done differently in the engineering but the structures they built are fine (though ugly in the sun). Just tighten it up as some have mentioned. I agree some visuals are gorgeous if you get a good spot.

Aren’t some of the best spots blocked by America Gardens?

For sure, I think some simple edits may help appease those with issues.

They've done it before from criticism. Fantasmic 2.0 as an example.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom