News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Dizknee_Phreek

I feel like my husband and I were the only ones who really enjoyed the PatF cover. It was probably our favorite part of the show, especially my husband's as he kept talking about it afterward. And I don't even like PatF. I did feel it stretched on WAY too long and really didn't fit in Epcot at all. But we liked the rendition of the song.

Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised to see HoND get some love as I feel it's one of Disney's most underrated films. But that flash of BatB was baffling right before the Out There segment. And as someone else mentioned, how did they not use Ratatouille to represent France??

Also agree with those mentioning the animations on the screens. Mostly they just weren't good and often felt cheap. For me the genie was the worst one...just did not feel Disney to me at all and almost felt...sinister? I dunno. For me I think I would have rather seen a stylized version of the cartoon genie than whatever it was they put up there. The animations need a lot of work...along with pretty much every other aspect of the show. It definitely feels like they put more thought into the technology than in the actual show.

KBLovedDisney

What have they done to Spaceship Earth....? What have they done?

Those lights are awfully tacky, shading over the goodness that is the alucobond panels that make up lovely Spaceship Earth.

Why??

I watched that show a couple of times and it just looks terribly tacky.

I feel like they got their inspiration from Susan who lives a couple of blocks down the road that throws the Christmas lights over everything in her yard and blasts Wizards of Winter.

I'm disappointed.

Ponderer

What have they done to Spaceship Earth....? What have they done?

They made it even more magnificent, is what they did. I can’t believe anyone sees this is as anything as the most EPCOT-type thing imaginable.

We literally had a weird laser globe in the middle of the lagoon that people couldn’t get enough of, and now somehow people think this is…tacky?

Wowee wow. This isn’t tacky. THIS is tacky:

1633109994034.jpeg

KBLovedDisney

They made it even more magnificent, is what they did. I can’t believe anyone sees this is as anything as the most EPCOT-type thing imaginable.

We literally had a weird laser globe in the middle of the lagoon that people couldn’t get enough of, and now somehow people think this is…tacky?

View attachment 590450
Point Up Channel 9 GIF by Married At First Sight Australia

That?

Nah, that wasn't THAT tacky.

This though...?
College Football Touchdown GIF by DICK'S Sporting Goods

D071BB22-8C45-4824-A18A-9FB7F3B2FC2E.jpeg

But I still stand by what I said.

Susan, lights, blasts Wizards of Winter.

Tom Morrow

The new SSE lights are mostly beautiful but they could use some tweaking. They should be reduced in brightness by about 30% to not override the flood lights as fill lighting. As they are, when you are not up close to SSE, you only see the new lights, and it does look a bit carnival ride-ish. It would also look better if they were always doing a subtle twinkle/twirl pattern, but by default they are all at 100% brightness.

UNCgolf

View attachment 590450

The new lights are occasionally tacky and occasionally look great. They just need to not overdo it.

kevlightyear

18:29 Steve Davison goes very in depth on the show, and it’s flow. It’s actually interesting to hear from him. I’ve always admired his passion and thought that goes into what he creates.

Discusses they actually created two different finales, and Someday is the one they kept.

Thanks for sharing this. Steve is so enthusiastic when he explains his work. I'm really curious what the other ending was.

Disney Analyst

Thanks for sharing this. Steve is so enthusiastic when he explains his work. I'm really curious what the other ending was.

I know what he can create, so I usually admire his enthusiasm and creativity, and chalk the misses up to non-creative interference.

But who knows what really goes on.

His original vision for World of Color was changed drastically during testing, with a lot of those changes coming from Bob Iger I believe.

castlecake2.0

I know what he can create, so I usually admire his enthusiasm and creativity, and chalk the misses up to non-creative interference.

His original vision for World of Color was changed drastically during testing, with a lot of those changes coming from Bob Iger I believe.
Really curious with what Iger thinks of Harm. I know he’s all about IP but he has to see how this was poorly done.

Ponderer

The new SSE lights are mostly beautiful but they could use some tweaking. They should be reduced in brightness by about 30% to not override the flood lights as fill lighting. As they are, when you are not up close to SSE, you only see the new lights, and it does look a bit carnival ride-ish. It would also look better if they were always doing a subtle twinkle/twirl pattern, but by default they are all at 100% brightness.

I could get behind dimming them a bit during non-show times. I don’t think I’d like them always twinkling, though - I think it’d be distracting (and also make it harder to get a good picture).

The great thing about these lights is that they’re almost infinitely programmable, so I’m sure we’ll see them evolve over time. But I am having a genuinely emotional reaction to them.

Ponderer

I don’t have an opinion on Harmonious (other than seeing decades of hostile reactions to other shows - I mean, I remember when Spectromagic was a flop to a lot of Disney fans, so I always take reactions with a grain of salt). But honestly, I do warn against chalking misfires up to executive interference all the time. Sometimes, sure. It’s a corporation. But I’m a filmmaker (and film buff), and one thing that I know is that even if you’re the best in your profession, and have the best team, and most creative minds, beautifully planned and thought out, you’re blessed if you get something good fifty percent of the time. There’s just too many moving parts, and it’s even harder when you’re competing against legacy.

Disney Analyst

I don’t have an opinion on Harmonious (other than seeing decades of hostile reactions to other shows - I mean, I remember when Spectromagic was a flop to a lot of Disney fans, so I always take reactions with a grain of salt). But honestly, I do warn against chalking misfires up to executive interference all the time. Sometimes, sure. It’s a corporation. But I’m a filmmaker (and film buff), and one thing that I know is that even if you’re the best in your profession, and have the best team, and most creative minds, beautifully planned and thought out, you’re blessed if you get something good fifty percent of the time. There’s just too many moving parts, and it’s even harder when you’re competing against legacy.

Oh 100%.

But I do also know Iger was very hands on, and according to insiders from back then, mandated a lot of changes to World of Color specifically. You can actually see early test footage of a very different show before it debuted.

I would be curious if Chapek is taking a similar approach. OR if the IP mandate and higher up mandates are so strong now that the shows are designed as they are from the outset.

I personally think Harmonious is pretty spectacular, a gorgeous production.

Yert3

I don’t like IP in Epcot, but fine, it looks like it’s here to stay. A way better format for this show would’ve been if they represented each country in clockwise order starting at Mexico to have a Disney film representing each country, and as they go down the list, each pavilion lights up. And to have the songs sung entirely in their native language. Here are a few of my ideas

Mexico - three caballeros, Coco
Norway- Frozen
China- Mulan
Germany - Snow White
Italy - Pinocchio
USA - princess and the frog
Morocco - Aladdin
France - Hunchback, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast
UK - Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Mary Poppins
Canada - Brother Bear

Tom Morrow

I don’t like IP in Epcot, but fine, it looks like it’s here to stay. A way better format for this show would’ve been if they represented each country in clockwise order starting at Mexico to have a Disney film representing each country, and as they go down the list, each pavilion lights up. And to have the songs sung entirely in their native language. Here are a few of my ideas

Mexico - three caballeros, Coco
Norway- Frozen
China- Mulan
Germany - Snow White
Italy - Pinocchio
USA - princess and the frog
Morocco - Aladdin
France - Hunchback, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast
UK - Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Mary Poppins
Canada - Brother Bear

Yeah, if they had to go the "our Disney songs unite the world!!" route, they did a poor job at even that. The show, as it is, doesn't really make it clear that it's trying to do that, and very much just feels like a bunch of random greatest hits. Then there are, of course, several songs that have no ties to any country, like the Jungle Book, Lion King, etc. The people creating this stuff are not dumb, so my money is on corporate meddling.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom