News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

Disstevefan1

I like the option of being able to rent it out(never have done it, and honestly more likely to just use RCI) but at the same time I am no fool to know that it also creates less availability for actual owners with everyone renting out points. Maybe the solution is to limit the amount of rentable points, or number of non-owner reservations?

As for availability, it’s no different than if the owners stay in the room, or renters, or you gave points to family or friends, availability is availability no natter who is physically staying in the room in my opinion.

Club Cooloholic

As for availability, it’s no different than if the owners stay in the room, or renters, or you gave points to family or friends, availability is availability no natter who is physically staying in the room in my opinion.
Well, no its not any different, but there are people that specifically focus on hot weeks to rent points out to, or are fine doing several one to 3 night rentals, when most people book a few more than those. I would say it effects availability for some people at the 7 month mark.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.

DVCakaCarlF

I thought you mentioned that they had found some sort of chemical that can be injected into the ground to make it more suitable for building? Though of course with all the cutbacks, they certainly won't be doing anything there anytime soon anyway.
Lime has been used to stabilize wet or contaminated soils to help setup parking lots for paving. Usually, unstable soils for structural construction require piers driven into the soil. That being said, I have no experience working on sand; mostly clay.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was in the Imagination lounge back in February and one of the DVC reps asked if I was going to add Riviera to the account. I said no because it felt like a low effort hotel with some Mickey stuff shoved in it. They surprisingly agreed and called it an "Ikea and someotherhotelhere combination" and they didn't blame me. I can't remember which hotel chain they compared it to but it was quite funny.
You were nicer than I would have been had I been asked:

“Well...since Disney deemed that exact spot “worthy” of a $49 a night motor lodge in 1988...I wonder how the math changed that its worth a $30,000 upfront investment in 2020?

Don’t think a square pool and concrete outer walls and an undoubtedly bland restaurant up top is gone “fill the gap” for me”

But I’m glad the emp didn’t patronize you...
Very low effort on the Pixie dust scale. The Disney theme is as basic as Paradise Pier (which is the cheapest damned overlay in all the parks IMO). It's funny that they described it that way, and sad. At least it had that new Holiday Inn Express smell inside. Definitely didn't have any wow factor on me.
Having went to paradise pier last summer...yuck

I actually used points too and that was my one DVC booking mistake in 15 years.
Good point. They may not have much of a legal leg to stand on.
That sounds like Jabba underestimating Luke’s powers.

Heppenheimer

“Well...since Disney deemed that exact spot “worthy” of a $49 a night motor lodge in 1988...I wonder how the math changed that its worth a $30,000 upfront investment in 2020?

Don’t think a square pool and concrete outer walls and an undoubtedly bland restaurant up top is gone “fill the gap” for me”

Having went to paradise pier last summer...yuck

I actually used points too and that was my one DVC booking mistake in 15 years.

That sounds like Jabba underestimating Luke’s powers.
At least Paradise Pier has the excuse of being a pre-existing hotel that Disney bought and somewhat re-themed. The generic look isn't completely Disney's fault. The Riviera, of course, was Unimagineered on purpose.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Yep. But to say the recession will last at least 3 years has no basis other than wishful thinking from someone who has used the 'R' word over 100 times under just their current username. Most long before the current crisis. Grain of salt is helpful.
I got an honest question: have you actually seen a recession?

You seem “green” to the concept. First, it’s a technical term that is defined by a period of retraction...
Second, they don’t end In a month...by definition
Third, severe loss in manufacturing and/or unemployment has a ripple effect that branches out for a long time. It’s the one thing that does actually “trickle down”...unlike wealth.

Stay tuned. Recessions are inevitable and actually help the Disney customer. Which is why I mention it “so much”. It’s been an important block on prices for the consumers to maintain some value. There are positives.

And one other thing...”current name” is a non-issue. I’m not 15...I don’t use multiple names to post, argue with myself, or “like” myself. Off that trail, bloodhound.
Do you know what theme or concept was being thrown around?
Whatever it is...it’s complete nonsensical WDI stuff based on the current climate. There really is no need and would have been a hard case to make 5 months ago.

Now I would assume conversion at the existing 3 would be the next priority whenever that happens...might be awhile

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yep, we'll never stay there again. We'll only waste points on the wait list for GC. Hopefully they're still adding the dvc tower to the DL Hotel.
That was my dilemma too...the VGC is so small it’s pointless.

The prior time I had paid cash at Disneyland hotel and though overpriced - enjoyed it.

Last year I wasn’t going to wdw so I figured use the points on paradise pier...why not? Now I know why not.

Of course...not like I could use those banked points this year anyway 🤔

fldisman

Don't think that will ever happen. There was a resort themed to Venice planned for the area between the Poly and Contemporary in the original designs for WDW. When Eisner was CEO, a resort themed to the Greek isles was planned for the same area but was never built.
The reason why these resorts were never built is because of the soil conditions in this area.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
At least Paradise Pier has the excuse of being a pre-existing hotel that Disney bought and somewhat re-themed. The generic look isn't completely Disney's fault. The Riviera, of course, was Unimagineered on purpose.
Poor “woah is me” Anaheim/Burbank could have knocked that sucker down over the weekend and rebuilt it with some quality. It was built as a Japanese smokers paradise in 1986. Bad Eisner...bad boy 😡

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was talking about DVC not having a leg to stand on, not us owners. Since renting is allowed, I'm not sure how they can state that you can't do it if you rent out so many times per year.
No I understand the point...

I’m Just saying (for the seemingly 1,000th time) that saying DVC “can’t” do whatever they damn well want doesn’t seem to ever turn out well.

trainplane3

I'd never go off on a employee due to a contract that was signed back in 1998(?) while I was in the DVC daycare eating burgers and playing N64 🤣 (Was added onto the WL contract a few years ago)
I also said "I'll look forward to the day they build something on the level of WL or AKL". They asked what I thought of "that resort under construction by FW". I said it looks like a Hilton with some wood and rocks. They were hopeful it'd be better looking then what the concept art was showing as well.

I think I met the most down to earth DVC CM ever.

raymusiccity

Um...song of the south has a slave and southern racial tropes as animated characters.

It was pulled from US broadcasts 30+ years ago...

You never really went “deep” in that movie, eh?
To be fair, how many people are able to go deep into a movie that no one has seen in 30 years. Disney went so far as to never offering it in any format, other than seeing it in a theater.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom