News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

bpiper

but now with that ridiculous store in the middle of the space it is a whole lot less pleasant...and somehow makes a 14 story atrium feel claustrophobic... Really crappy design on that! The store could have easily been incorporated into the space that is currently the Arcade...or anywhere else
If I remember correctly, the store use to be where the arcade currently is.

The store moved out into the middle, the arcade moved up and took its spot and the Wave took the Arcades/Food Courts spot.

hauntology

Please, for all that is good and decent in existence, stop letting interior designers watch so much HGTV and read so much Architectural Digest.

I wish they'd hire younger faces for interior design at WDW hotels. I study at a pretty prestigious design school (studying history, not the craft) and I'm never not impressed by what people do there. I agree it's very acceptable contemporary clean modern looks for some of the new resorts, but particularly this one.

raymusiccity

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I am probably in a minority thinking that the artwork of this resort seems very relaxing and appealing, BUT... it is so close to the Fort, which has such a different vibe and a very different appeal. Yes, Fort guests may have extra options for food, drink, spa services etc, (if they are allowed access to the Reflection amenities and it is a not a one-sided arrangement ie. Reflections guests can book pony rides, carriage rides etc, but Fort guests can't get similar access to expanded options at Reflections). However, the "hipster vibe" of the proposed new resort doesn't seem to me to sit comfortably with the "camping/self-sufficiency" vibe of the Fort.
Having limited or 'one-way' access between resorts is nothing new. Bay Lake Tower guests have access to The Contemporary's pools, but not vice versa.

jt04

Still don't understand the placement of a Cajun/Creole restaurant outside of POFQ. Pocahontas would have been a better fit for the area.

My hunch is Cajun/Creole is destined for Reflections while Pocahontas will be based in a reimagined pofq. The concept art makes much more sense if this is the plan.

PS- if it isn't the plan they should make it the plan. Resonates well. IMO.

jt04

What the hell are you talking about?

Pocahontas (as seen in the concept art) works in a forested environment as found in the Port Orleans area. There is a push to add IPs to the resorts because guests love stuff like AoA.

The concept art also depicts Disney characters that inhabit the forest. Such as the Fox from the Fox and the Hound. Bambi and Chip and Dale also fit this environment.

Not only does the fulfil the initiative for IP inclusion but also the initiative to the new Disney Animals line. With Pocahontas acting as a sort of caretaker and educator for forest conservation.

Port Orleans was never fully themed compared to other WDW resorts so this wouldn't be difficult and is probably due considering the age of some of the buildings.

Reflections was announced to be themed towards a bayou setting with Tiana's restaurant and an overarching setting embracing the waterfront. Expecting Cajun/Creole dining and entertainment. Much more a wetlands environment than a forested area.

Hope that explains my theory from all the leaked concept art. Just my theory. Not official.

aladdin2007

My hunch is Cajun/Creole is destined for Reflections while Pocahontas will be based in a reimagined pofq. The concept art makes much more sense if this is the plan.

PS- if it isn't the plan they should make it the plan. Resonates well. IMO.

that theory doesnt even make the least bit of sense...but wouldn't put something like that past current management either.

jt04

that theory doesnt even make the least bit of sense...but wouldn't put something like that past current management either.

Of course it makes sense. You may not like the idea but that's a different matter.

Did you even see the artwork with Pocahontas etc? It is very very different from the artwork released at D23 for Reflections.

Ponderer

Of course it makes sense. You may not like the idea but that's a different matter.

Did you even see the artwork with Pocahontas etc? It is very very different from the artwork released at D23 for Reflections.

Was there new artwork for Reflections beside the restaurant images? I can't seem to find it.

Ponderer

Ahhh, thanks. I wonder if this means they've gone to an overall Bambi theme.

(That would be one uncomfortably themed restaurant.)

Epcot82Guy

I agree with the darkness of Bambi - especially live action.

The rest I can't get behind and would seem a colossal waste of updates to shoehorn in the IP. The new Lodge is more forest, I agree. But, Bay Lake and that area is FAR more forested. And, for the restaurant, Tiana's harkens to the French Quarter (of NOLA) much more than the bayou. It would seem to be far easier to have Tiana's Place be at POFQ and work more Frog IP elements into a POFQ update - especially since you already have a fair bit at Riverside.

Then, have the restaurant be inspired by Disney's most famous forest creatures. There's nothing that says it has to be solo IP. You could easily use characters from Bambi, Princess and the Frog, Robin Hood, Pocahontas, etc. Some of the sidekicks are highly popular. Likely not enough to drive a restaurant itself. But, combining them into one - especially in subtle ways like ironwork, chairs, upholstery, etc. - and then a character breakfast or the like - ala O'hana. That would actually accomplish the directives in many ways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom