News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Dranth

I would suggest giving Married to the Mouse by Richard Foglesong a read about some of the advantages that Disney has enjoyed in the past. The biggest is that Disney is able to right size the District to its needs. If projects were getting held up by the building department because there wasn’t enough staff to review all of the projects in a timely manner, then Disney is able to get the District to hire more reviewers. There are also issues around the bonds that I would not be able to accurately articulate.
Legit question, is that a power provided by RCID that other districts do not have or is it just that Disney can afford to bring on more staff as needed?

As for reading the book, it’s been on my list for a while now. I really need to just break down and do it.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
But those decisions are not static and permanent. We’re also not speculating about a lot of what is happening. Many of those involved have been very open about why they are acting and it is not a concern over land use in Central Florida.
And I imagine that openness you mentioned is how, in part, you have formed an opinion that what the state has done/is doing is completely unconstitutional.

My opinion is a little more mixed. Depending on the final outcome, I could see it going either way. Disney would have to make the case based on the legislation passed. But I have a feeling it’s never going to get that far anyways.

Do the state’s actions sit well with me? No, not particularly. It gives me the “not right” feeling, putting my feelings about Disney aside.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
This is in contrast to Google, Twitter, or Facebook from determining what they want to allow on their platforms. They are private companies that can do whatever they want. There are no 1st amendment protections because it wasn’t written to protect you against companies.
Until those companies start acting on behalf of the government. Under pressure from the government.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So you agree with my points about Florida pulling an authoritarian swing towards Disney, right, since you know, they’re explicitly going against the 1st amendment to punish Disney, or does that straw-man you pulled out completely nullify my major concerns with the actions of Florida going completely unfettered with millions of Americans?
It wasn’t a straw man. But it was off topic so I’ll end the point.

My opinion is a little more mixed. Depending on the final outcome, I could see it going either way. Disney would have to make the case based on the legislation passed. But I have a feeling it’s never going to get that far anyways.

Do the state’s actions sit well with me? No, not particularly. It gives me the “not right” feeling, putting my feelings about Disney aside

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure I got a flintlock cap pistol in the POTC gift shop when I was a kid. It may have come from somewhere else, though.
You are remembering correctly. My brother and I both had one, and we would run around Ft. Wilderness "killing" everything in sight! The sold them at the campground and in Frontier Land.

lazyboy97o

Legit question, is that a power provided by RCID that other districts do not have or is it just that Disney can afford to bring on more staff as needed?

As for reading the book, it’s been on my list for a while now. I really need to just break down and do it.
It’s an indirect power that comes from Disney’s control because Disney doesn’t have to compete with other constituents. If the City of Orlando was short staffed Universal could lobby for more staff but could ultimately not prevail.

I would guess that Universal’s recently proposed community development district is all about gaining some control and special treatment from SunRail. While many are still focused on Brightline, SunRail offering transit for $2 - $3 per person is probably the bigger win for Universal. SunRail though is a rather Spartans service: stations are just open air platforms, ticketing is by self service kiosks, station staffing is minimal to non-existent and service is not consistent or offered on weekends. The new CDD could use its transit authority to build a station with amenities, subsidize service, contract for more frequent service, provide bus services through the district, etc. all to the clear advantage of Universal. Depending on the final boundaries of the district, Universal’s large land holding could definitely make them a major player in how this new district operates.

Dranth

None of which are controlled by or exist for the near-exclusive benefit of a single multi-billion dollar international corporation.
I'm sorry but I don't buy this. NOTHING is stopping other companies from doing the same thing. There are laws to setup a special district and any one of them can do that anytime they want. They don't because they don't need to. None of them own a sprawling, city size complex that requires city level public works.

EPCOT-O.G.

Well the Supreme Court has decided that corporations have the right to engage in political speech.
Of course they do.

But you have to also agree that an arrangement where a corporation that also functions as a quasi-governmental entity and prohibits people from living within “its” district so it can continue to run business as it sees fit free of messy governmental interference is antithetical to bedrock notions of “democracy”?

lazyboy97o

I agree that free speech without retaliation is a bedrock of democracy.

But what Disney uniquely enjoys with RCID is a corporatocracy.
What unique things do you take issue with? Why won’t you give use specifics? Is it the more restrictive building code? Running their own sewage services?

How many of those special districts have one single corporate owner which restricts who it permits to live within boundaries of said districts?
Disney is not the sole landowner. Many districts are created by a single land owner. Nothing prohibits districts from encompassing only a single landowner. You could right now go buy up 1000 acres and get yourself a community development district and you would be free to decide to who lives there just like any other property owner.

fgmnt

My opinion, morals, and values come into play when I vote. Or I could run for office. At the same time, we have to have some level of trust in the courts. Otherwise, we can’t function. They ultimately decide what is unconstitutional. That’s their role in our society.

Like it or not, faith in the institution of the courts has been in decline recently. If I were to communicate why I think that is the case here, I would probably get zapped. I will at least say that when it comes to granting expansion of the rights of expression to people, I have more faith in the lay person's thoughts than whatever opinion the current majority the highest court in the states has.

Dranth

It’s an indirect power that comes from Disney’s control because Disney doesn’t have to compete with other constituents. If the City of Orlando was short staffed Universal could lobby for more staff but could ultimately not prevail.

I would guess that Universal’s recently proposed community development district is all about gaining some control and special treatment from SunRail. While many are still focused on Brightline, SunRail offering transit for $2 - $3 per person is probably the bigger win for Universal. SunRail though is a rather Spartans service: stations are just open air platforms, ticketing is by self service kiosks, station staffing is minimal to non-existent and service is not consistent or offered on weekends. The new CDD could use its transit authority to build a station with amenities, subsidize service, contract for more frequent service, provide bus services through the district, etc. all to the clear advantage of Universal. Depending on the final boundaries of the district, Universal’s large land holding could definitely make them a major player in how this new district operates.
Got it, but that is kind of my point. RCID itself is not providing a direct special power that somehow only Disney has and that seems to be what a lot of people (not you) are trying to argue while ignoring the fact that other companies can do similar if and when it makes sense for their business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom