News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Chip Chipperson

Can you point to a board that is entirely appointed by the governor with the powers and taxing authority of CFTOD that was not approved by residents/landowners.

The closest I can find are the various Water Management Districts (such as the St. John's River Water Management District), which have their boards appointed by the Governor and have the power to levy propertytaxes. However, the clear and obvious differences are that these districts have limited scope of powers relating to the protection and conservation of water and the appointed board members reside within the district's boundaries, so the taxes are being set by residents despite the lack of ability for residents to vote for the Board members. With the CFTOD, there isn't a single resident/landowner of the District on the Board, let alone all of the Board members being residents/landowners.

peter11435

The closest I can find are the various Water Management Districts (such as the St. John's River Water Management District), which have their boards appointed by the Governor and have the power to levy propertytaxes. However, the clear and obvious differences are that these districts have limited scope of powers relating to the protection and conservation of water and the appointed board members reside within the district's boundaries, so the taxes are being set by residents despite the lack of ability for residents to vote for the Board members. With the CFTOD, there isn't a single resident/landowner of the District on the Board, let alone all of the Board members being residents/landowners.
But the huge difference is that those water management districts gained the power to levy taxes by a voter approved Florida constitutional amendment in 1976.

When did voters inside RCID/CFTOD vote in favor of the governor (who ever it may be) being solely responsible for appointing their unaccountable representation with taxing authority.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That may be, but if he had the power to do it, was going to follow through on his promise to do it, and Disney couldn't do anything to stop him, wouldn't it have been better to compromise and get at least some local/landowner seats on the board? In hindsight (which is crystal clear) at least?
Being forced into something is not 'a compromise.'

If you're being held up for all the money in your wallet, bargaining with the thief to only give them half is not a compromise.

"I met the thief half-way. I'm happy how that turned out!"

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Can you point to a board that is entirely appointed by the governor with the powers and taxing authority of CFTOD that was not approved by residents/landowners.

The amount of levy? Off the tip of my head, no. But remember, there are things called usage fees in the state that are a tax in another name.

LAKid53

Premium Member

I can't remember the last time an increase to the assessment levied by the NWFWMD appeared on the ballot.

LAKid53

Premium Member
But the huge difference is that those water management districts gained the power to levy taxes by a voter approved Florida constitutional amendment in 1976.

When did voters inside RCID/CFTOD vote in favor of the governor (who ever it may be) being solely responsible for appointing their unaccountable representation with taxing authority.

Those voters being property owners, unlike the WMDs.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Also in a Water District, taxes are levied only on the population that uses said water. And in that situation, it is called a tax, but in real world, which I am aware we no longer live in, taxes equal water bill and is distributed via usage not just existing in that community. There is no tax for people that are not connected to the alleged district. But nothing will excite the general population more than the mention of "taxes" even if it doesn't even affect them. I was chairman of a board of directors of my local water district for a number of years and all our board members, myself included, were elected by the people that were affected within the water district only.

Members of the WMDs in Florida aren't elected by property owners or voters in the District. But anyone who lives in the District can vote on an increase in assessment, whether a property owner or not. Just as all residents registered to vote in a county in Florida can vote on property tax increases, even if they don't own property.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Here's a portion of an interview with Glen Gilzean and Greg Angel from Spectrum News 13, which hits on his employment with the CFTOD. The full thread can be found at this link.

If he plans on running, he needs to make his mind up by June 14, 2024 as qualifying for local offices closes that day. The Florida primary is August 20th.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think you’re missing the point

No I'm not.

Any registered voter in a WMD can vote on an increase in the District's assessment, whether a property owner or not. But unlike my county commissioner or school board member, I can't vote on who the members of the WMD are.

Disney had no such right anymore.

Stripes

Premium Member
Water Management District members are appointed by the governor. Taxes are levied and included as part of your county property taxes.
Under the Florida Constitution the property tax assessment for WMDs is capped at 1 mill. CFTOD is capped at 30 mills.

Furthermore, the millage rate is set entirely by the unelected board. In WMDs, the you have local accountability when in comes to millage rates (capped at 1 mill). There is no such local accountability for CFTOD (capped at 30 mills).

LAKid53

Premium Member
Under the Florida Constitution the property tax assessment for WMDs is capped at 1 mill. CFTOD is capped at 30 mills.

Furthermore, the millage rate is set entirely by the unelected board. In WMDs, the you have local accountability when in comes to millage rates (capped at 1 mill). There is no such local accountability for CFTOD (capped at 30 mills).

No entirely accurate. The millage rate for NWFWMD is capped at 0.05 mill; the other 4 districts is 1 mill. However, Article VII, Section 9(b) says this about ad valorem taxes:

"(b) Ad valorem taxes, exclusive of taxes levied for the payment of bonds and taxes levied for periods not longer than two years when authorized by vote of the electors who are the owners of freeholds therein not wholly exempt from taxation, shall not be levied in excess of the following millages upon the assessed value of real estate and tangible personal property: for all county purposes, ten mills; for all municipal purposes, ten mills; for all school purposes, ten mills; for water management purposes for the northwest portion of the state lying west of the line between ranges two and three east, 0.05 mill; for water management purposes for the remaining portions of the state, 1.0 mill; and for all other special districts a millage authorized by law approved by vote of the electors who are owners of freeholds therein not wholly exempt from taxation. A county furnishing municipal services may, to the extent authorized by law, levy additional taxes within the limits fixed for municipal purposes."

The language I bolded, there is no constitutional millage cap for special districts as there is for county, city and school taxes.

In addition, Section 373.503(3)(a) has set the millage rates for the WMDs:

"(a) Notwithstanding any other general or special law, and subject to subsection (4), the maximum total millage rate for district and basin purposes shall be:
1. Northwest Florida Water Management District: 0.05 mill.
2. Suwannee River Water Management District: 0.75 mill.
3. St. Johns River Water Management District: 0.6 mill.
4. Southwest Florida Water Management District: 1.0 mill.
5. South Florida Water Management District: 0.80 mill."

Based upon Article VII, Section 9(b), millage rate for CFTOD is whatever the "electors who are owners of freeholds therein not wholly exempt from taxation" agree to by voting approval thereof.

Last I checked, there was no proposed amendment to the Florida Constitution on the ballot in either 2020 or 2022 modifying any portion of ARTICLE VII, Section 9(b).

Last edited:

JoeCamel

What is the CFTOD current rate? No conflict just a question as I don't know

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom