Reedy Creek Firefighters planning to picket.

BrianV

I believe they deserve a fair and reasonable raise. I also know they have special training to deal with fireworks and evacuating the rides. This is not as easy as some think and the danger of fireworks is taken for granted by most guests. That said I don't think anyone is entitle to whatever they ask for. But they should be paid more than most other fire departments just like Disney should pay their cast members more than any other theme park company. After all we pay higher ticket prices than any other theme park.

Agree. There are aspects of the job that probably require specific expertise. (E.g. fireworks on a routine basis). That said, most major cities have universities with biolabs and chemical plants that also require special expertise. Even Our local small town chief was recently talking about the risks of all the solar panels which can be live even if you cut the power.

WWWD

Unless we know the specifics of the contract negotiations, it's hard to say why there has been no new contract for a year and half. Public unions are a different animal and Reedy Creek is a very unique one at that. I have great respect for first responders, was once an EMT long ago, however, I do get tired of seeing some of them retire in their late 40's with 100K + pensions for life on the back of taxpayers who will be lucky to retire at 70 years of age.

Everyone deserves a livable wage. To be honest, the ride operators and ride mechanics probably have more impact on my safety than anyone else. So if we're passing raises around let's not forget them.

PhotoDave219

[QUOTE="WWWD, post: 7221434, member: 73464"
Everyone deserves a livable wage. To be honest, the ride operators and ride mechanics probably have more impact on my safety than anyone else. So if we're passing raises around let's not forget them.[/QUOTE]

Are you seriously comparing the job of a Firefighter/EMT to a ride operator? Seriously?

Anyways, The ride operators got a raise in their last contract. Something like 25 or 50 cents a year for three years during the five year contract.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
With regards to cast members: They don't have to.

I grew up in Florida and always thought about how cool it'd be to work for Disney. As I got older I realized that there's a ton of people who feel the same way and, based on that, it's a buyer's market for Disney with regards to employees. In my early 20s I came to the conclusion: I'll never work for Disney.

I think that it'll eventually catch up to them, though, especially with their current practices. When I was growing up Disney seemed like they were on the cutting edge of technology with AAs, Epcot, all of the computers running their shows, all of the ideas, Imagineering, etc. They also had an enormous amount of pixie dust spread around to people who grew up on their movies and watching Walt on TV. They no longer have that. They don't appear to be doing cutting-edge things but mostly the same-old, same-old (NFL is an example). I think that the generation coming up now (born late 1990s/early 2000s - past the 1990s WDW Eisner growth) aren't going to have that and will just think of WDW as a really nice theme park (and not someplace that looks exciting to work).

I maybe wrong, though. If I'm right it means a better time for CMs, though.

Remember at one time Disney at WDW was one of the best jobs you could have in central FL and they had their choice of employees back when EPCOT opened a lot attendant made $11/hr and a server made $14+tips WDW was not ALWAYS a low wage hellhole as it is today and you could reasonably consider a career as a CM and you could have a small house or a nice apartment on a CM wage, Not like the current reality of Disney CM's living in Igervilles off the Lynx routes.

WWWD

[QUOTE="WWWD, post: 7221434, member: 73464"
Everyone deserves a livable wage. To be honest, the ride operators and ride mechanics probably have more impact on my safety than anyone else. So if we're passing raises around let's not forget them.

Are you seriously comparing the job of a Firefighter/EMT to a ride operator? Seriously?

Anyways, The ride operators got a raise in their last contract. Something like 25 or 50 cents a year for three years during the five year contract.[/QUOTE]

I'm not comparing the job of a firefighter to a ride operator. However, if they don't do their job right, I have potential to get hurt. And, I hardly doubt the on-going contract dispute is over 50 cents an hour. Like I said I respect firefighters like I respect many different career choices, however unless I know what the contract dispute is about I'm not going to jump on their side. Trust me, in my city, we have had many contract issues with public funded first responders and the taxpayers are generally not on the side of the responders when benefits details are released.

PhotoDave219

I'm not comparing the job of a firefighter to a ride operator. However, if they don't do their job right, I have potential to get hurt. And, I hardly doubt the on-going contract dispute is over 50 cents an hour. Like I said I respect firefighters like I respect many different career choices, however unless I know what the contract dispute is about I'm not going to jump on their side. Trust me, in my city, we have had many contract issues with public funded first responders and the taxpayers are generally not on the side of the responders when benefits details are released.

Given the history of Disney and their position towards employees and union contracts dating back to the 1940's, there's enough history there for me to pick a side without knowing this round of details.

BrianV

I can tell you they are worth every penny they are asking for. They were there to help me through a not so fun time at WDW. They took me to the hospital and stayed with me until they could get an exam room for me. I would put my life in their hands any day of the week. Pay up Disney.

What are they asking for? And what has been offered? And how does that compare to other departments?

It's easy for us to offer up other people's money.

betty rose

I can tell you they are worth every penny they are asking for. They were there to help me through a not so fun time at WDW. They took me to the hospital and stayed with me until they could get an exam room for me. I would put my life in their hands any day of the week. Pay up Disney.
Yes, helped hubby and grandson, on two different occasions. They are the best people, grandson was little and got a stuffed fire dog, that made such a difference. They were so kind, and gentle with grandson. They were kind with hubby too. He didn't get a fire dog, though.;)

rm247

There is no doubt that Firefighters like Nurses, Paramedics, police, etc are incredibly important and valuable. However with all the talk on here about how they are underpaid and/or right to strike nobody has provided any figures fir what they are being paid currently or what they are asking for.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Firefighters should be paid for what they may have to do, not just what they do on a regular basis. You are investing in skills and equipment that you hope you'll never need. It's one of those things that's better to have and not need, than need and not have.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ and as I've said many times before Firefighters have to go out, they don't have to come back.

betty rose

There is no doubt that Firefighters like Nurses, Paramedics, police, etc are incredibly important and valuable. However with all the talk on here about how they are underpaid and/or right to strike nobody has provided any figures fir what they are being paid currently or what they are asking for.
What ever they are paid in the environment of underpaid firefighters and police across this country, it's certainly not enough. I hope you never need those service people, they are more than generous, to those in need.

bugsbunny

Not that I have an issue with this, but how often do they actually fight fires? Honestly, I'm not sure how often any firefighters work. I know there at the firehouse all the time, but it seems like fires don't occur that often.

I was a firefighter for 17 years. The amount of training one has to do to maintain and increase your skillset is staggering. The going public is oblivious to what we learn and how we need to utilize that training in seconds or.....well, you die.

I was a Captain and my department had a ladder truck, rescue, engine, and BLS (ambulance). At any one time I would not only need to know how to man and place the apparatus, but utilize all the equioment on it. Plus know how to take control of an incident. Very very very complicated stuff. At one point I was trained in vehicle, water, confined space, ice, high angle rope, and trench rescue. All of that is a lot of training for a situation I might not ever encounter, but we're ready!

And at WDW, you have something like 15,000 fire extinguishers. God knows how many hydrants and sprinkler connectors! What pressure or gallonage is each one capable of? Do you have enough hose to lay in and reach the fire? All of that is done with constant preplanning by the FD so when building X has a problem, there is no guess work as to what hazardous materials are in there,etc

This is just some of the stuff Reedy Creek or your local FD does every day while "sitting around waiting for fires".

Last edited:

No Name

I love the appreciation for the firefighters. They fully deserve every ounce of it.

I just have one question. Did they picket yesterday?

Last edited:

rm247

What ever they are paid in the environment of underpaid firefighters and police across this country, it's certainly not enough. I hope you never need those service people, they are more than generous, to those in need.

Once again i am not being in any way dismissive of the firefighters, but you are claiming that theses particular firefighters are underpaid, however you have not been able to provide any context, such as what they are being paid or what they are asking for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom