Recommendations on ECVs

Djsfantasi

Original Poster
My girlfriend and I are in our mid to late sixties and planning a trip late April. This is really her first trip. We have noticed that we are slower than we used to be. I last went in January 2020 and ended up in First Aid after falling (dizziness)

I am considering renting ECVs for our trip. My MVP will arrange for the rentals.

Do you think this is a good idea? What are your pros and cons if you’ve rented ECVs before (or even considered it)?

NelleBelle

Are you staying on property? Are you planning to rent from Disney or an outside vendor? If both you and your GF have mobility issues, I'd definitely consider getting and ECV for both of you (although, you may have trouble getting them your room). If you both can walk a ways and switch off, you could save money and space. But as an OT, I think whatever device you can use to get out and explore and make the quality of life for you and your GF enjoyable, do it. I'm sure you'll find in searching rather heated debates surrounding the uses of ECVs, but frankly, it's no one's business why you or your GF need them.

We've done both for family members we've traveled with. Of note, we've not rented either since WDW reopened.

We really didn't care for the WDW ECVs but there were some pros:
--longer lasting batter/didn't need to worry about battery dying.
--if there was an issue with the ECV, we could have it dealt with fairly quickly at the park
--speed was set to where you couldn't outrun everybody in your party (although, this doesn't like it applies)
--you could take your receipt from one park to the other and not have to pay for an addition ECV when park hopping--made it nice not to have to maneuver an ECV onto a bus.
--big tires
--larger wt capacity

There were more cons with the WDW ECVs we found:
--you ran the risk of them being sold out
--you couldn't take them out of the park, so you had to walk all over resort you were staying at (they used to have wheel chairs you could "borrow" but that phased out) or any resort you visited for dining, or even walking to the gate of another park for PH
--No option for shade canopy
--long walk from parking lot if you drove (even from disabled parking)

Renting from an outside vendor in the past, we were able to have the ECV delivered to our resort. It was dropped at bell services and pick-up at bell services for return to the company. But I believe there have been some recent changes to that. I think you have to be present for the ECV drop-off now as bell-services won't hold it for you anymore (or something to that effect). We've not needed to utilize the service since the new "rule" has taken effect.

One of the best perks/pros of having an outside vendor ECV that you have it to go anywhere on property, from getting around DS, other parks and other resorts. Some of the cons are getting it on/off ramps Disney transportation. Other benefits are that you tend to pay a lot less by reserving ahead of time. You can often rent shade canopies if needed.

Some downsides, you have to be cognizant of your battery power, making sure you turn your power off to conserve battery power when sitting for parades (currently not an issue), waiting for transportation/long lines that aren't moving, eating--that kinda of thing. They don't always fit in your room (depending on resort type). One size doesn't fit all--if over a certain wt, you have to rent a larger size and pay more (usually). Smaller tires = rail road hazard on main st.

I'm sure there are a ton more, but that's what I came up with off the top of my head. I didn't mention the ECV that we owned that we took for my grandfather one year. That's a whole other "beast"! 😉

Djsfantasi

Original Poster
Are you staying on property? Are you planning to rent from Disney or an outside vendor? If both you and your GF have mobility issues, I'd definitely consider getting and ECV for both of you (although, you may have trouble getting them your room). If you both can walk a ways and switch off, you could save money and space. But as an OT, I think whatever device you can use to get out and explore and make the quality of life for you and your GF enjoyable, do it. I'm sure you'll find in searching rather heated debates surrounding the uses of ECVs, but frankly, it's no one's business why you or your GF need them.

We've done both for family members we've traveled with. Of note, we've not rented either since WDW reopened.

We really didn't care for the WDW ECVs but there were some pros:
--longer lasting batter/didn't need to worry about battery dying.
--if there was an issue with the ECV, we could have it dealt with fairly quickly at the park
--speed was set to where you couldn't outrun everybody in your party (although, this doesn't like it applies)
--you could take your receipt from one park to the other and not have to pay for an addition ECV when park hopping--made it nice not to have to maneuver an ECV onto a bus.
--big tires
--larger wt capacity

There were more cons with the WDW ECVs we found:
--you ran the risk of them being sold out
--you couldn't take them out of the park, so you had to walk all over resort you were staying at (they used to have wheel chairs you could "borrow" but that phased out) or any resort you visited for dining, or even walking to the gate of another park for PH
--No option for shade canopy
--long walk from parking lot if you drove (even from disabled parking)

Renting from an outside vendor in the past, we were able to have the ECV delivered to our resort. It was dropped at bell services and pick-up at bell services for return to the company. But I believe there have been some recent changes to that. I think you have to be present for the ECV drop-off now as bell-services won't hold it for you anymore (or something to that effect). We've not needed to utilize the service since the new "rule" has taken effect.

One of the best perks/pros of having an outside vendor ECV that you have it to go anywhere on property, from getting around DS, other parks and other resorts. Some of the cons are getting it on/off ramps Disney transportation. Other benefits are that you tend to pay a lot less by reserving ahead of time. You can often rent shade canopies if needed.

Some downsides, you have to be cognizant of your battery power, making sure you turn your power off to conserve battery power when sitting for parades (currently not an issue), waiting for transportation/long lines that aren't moving, eating--that kinda of thing. They don't always fit in your room (depending on resort type). One size doesn't fit all--if over a certain wt, you have to rent a larger size and pay more (usually). Smaller tires = rail road hazard on main st.

I'm sure there are a ton more, but that's what I came up with off the top of my head. I didn't mention the ECV that we owned that we took for my grandfather one year. That's a whole other "beast"! 😉

Which ECV is not an issue. MVP is recommending outside vendor with high capacity batteries and fastest unit available.

I was wondering about storing two in a room. We’re staying at AoA. So on-site, using Disney Transportation exclusively. Buses and Skyliner.

Good tip about shades. We’re going in April, so sun will be getting hot.

Thanks for the rest

NelleBelle

If you're in the Little Mermaid rooms, you may have to leave them in the hallway plugged in but if in a family suite, they'll both likely fit in the room. Have fun!

BellFamily2000

My girlfriend and I are in our mid to late sixties and planning a trip late April. This is really her first trip. We have noticed that we are slower than we used to be. I last went in January 2020 and ended up in First Aid after falling (dizziness)

I am considering renting ECVs for our trip. My MVP will arrange for the rentals.

Do you think this is a good idea? What are your pros and cons if you’ve rented ECVs before (or even considered it)?
I rent one every time we go and will never go without out it due to knee problems. I rent from Buena Vista Scooter Rentals and they are always available and on time and I never have any issues with the ones I’ve rented. I have had at least 15-20 and I have never had a bad one or had a battery not last from park open to close. Like the other person said you do need to make sure you plug them in when back at the room overnight and they are hard to get into some rooms.

Which ECV is not an issue. MVP is recommending outside vendor with high capacity batteries and fastest unit available.

I was wondering about storing two in a room. We’re staying at AoA. So on-site, using Disney Transportation exclusively. Buses and Skyliner.

Thanks for the rest
I

Thanks for the rest
I have rented from Burns Vista Scooters at least 20 times and get a return user discount! I won’t rent from anyone else. Theirs have super long lasting batteries and I have never had a bad one. They are easy to get on & off all Disney transportation. They are available 24 hours a day just need to be there to pick it up but can leave it with bell services when returning. You don’t really need a canopy but I would recommend having a towel for the seat when your not sitting in it. Like the other person said it can get very tight in the rooms but most places allow them to be in the hallway while charging.

Deadphish

We rented from gold mobility in September. We are sticking with them for all future rentals the experience was so good. Scooter seemed new and batteries went all day open to close and never lost a line on the meter. Insurance included and extras like cell phone holder, fan and sun shade!

MickeyLuv'r

A number of companies in the area are pretty reliable, and have solid reputations. When we needed to rent one, we used Buena Vista, and they were very good. As others have said, after using them once, they offer a repeat discount, so we stuck with them. Not only that, but they'll remember which style of scooter you rented.

The rental companies will walk you through the various rental options. A lighter/shorter person can use a smaller scooter, and they cost slightly less, but they are a little less robust. On the plus, a smaller scooter is a little easier sometimes to maneuver.

My pre-pandemic suggestion was always to say if you aren't used to using one, it pays to spend some times practicing, especially how to steer and park them in tight spaces. More than once, I have seen people almost in tears because they couldn't quickly navigate getting onto the monorail, or they crashed into a wall and left a mark. I just advise giving yourself a little practice before you head to the parks.

It might also be helpful to do a little research about the details of navigating WDW with an EVC so you know what to expect on various attractions. CM's will explain the details, but knowing in advance what to expect will make navigating easier.

The sun shades aren't essential. Weather-wise, an important thing to know is that they aren't really supposed to be out in the rain, especially heavy rain. Of all the months though, April is usually a great weather month!

Last edited:

Djsfantasi

Original Poster
A number of companies in the area are pretty reliable, and have solid reputations. When we needed to rent one, we used Buena Vista, and they were very good. As others have said, after using them once, they offer a repeat discount, so we stuck with them. Not only that, but they'll remember which style of scooter you rented.

The rental companies will walk you through the various rental options. A lighter/shorter person can use a smaller scooter, and they cost slightly less, but they are a little less robust. On the plus, a smaller scooter is a little easier sometimes to maneuver.

My pre-pandemic suggestion was always to say if you aren't used to using one, it pays to spend some times practicing, especially how to steer and park them in tight spaces. More than once, I have seen people almost in tears because they couldn't quickly navigate getting onto the monorail, or they crashed into a wall and left a mark. I just advise giving yourself a little practice before you head to the parks.

It might also be helpful to do a little research about the details of navigating WDW with an EVC so you know what to expect on various attractions. CM's will explain the details, but knowing in advance what to expect will make navigating easier.

The sun shades aren't essential. Weather-wise, an important thing to know is that they aren't really supposed to be out in the rain, especially heavy rain. Of all the months though, April is usually a great weather month!
Interesting observations on the various companies. I’ll check with my MVP as to which one she’s recommending. And as to her recommended options. She’s booked about 10 or more trips for me over 5 years and knows my preferences. $ is not primary. I pay for what I want. I don’t decide what I want based on $.

Interesting on researching experiences with an ECV on different attractions. Can you suggest any search terms or links?

The ECV is not yet a requirement, but rather a convenience so that we can spend more time in a park. Thus, if it’s use is inconvenient for a given attraction, we may forgo its use there. Secondly, I think I’ve decided to rent only one which we will share throughout the day.

MickeyLuv'r

Again, agents can walk you through various options.

My companion used two models. the lighter model was smaller and easier to maneuver, but the more robust one had a bigger battery. I think it cost a little more, but he preferred the more robust one. Except the ones WDW rents in the parks are decidedly harder to maneuver.

It looks like the only approved onsite company is one called Scooterbug. They are allowed to leave scooters with bell services. Otherwise you have to be there for the pickup and drop off. I've never sued that company though.

Generally, as long as you can transfer, you should be able to ride every attraction. Mostly it isn't to bad getting around WDW. Probably the worst part is dealing with other folks. People get easily distracted at WDW, so they'll walk right into you without looking. Or they decide to walk right in front of you, and STOP.

I'm not sure about (this forum's rules) for me sending you specifically to other websites and forums, but I know other websites exist, or at least did. I haven't stayed up to date, especially since the pandemic started. There are (or were) guide books for WDW with disabilities, but probably a search will give you all the info you need. WDW should also have information on their website for navigating WDW. Though it is worth mentioning, some things may well have changed thanks to the pandemic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom