Really Bothered at Star Tours

musketeer

Original Poster
Last week, while visiting Hollywood Studios, we rode Star Tours. I've always loved the ride, in it's originally state, and it's current state. I especially love the Jakku scene. What bothered me was the guy who was working in our vehicle. First, everyone sits down, and he does the, "how's everyone doing!" thing, which was fine, BUT then he proceeded to do the, "that wasn't very good, let's try that again!" thing. That's annoying, I really keep hoping society is going to stop doing that. It's very Carnival cruise line-ish. I remember watching a show on carnival that was 45 minutes long, and it feels like 15 minutes was spent trying to get the crowd to answer that question the satisfaction of the performer.

Then, it got more obnoxious, he said, "you better be having a good time, you're at Disney, especially you kids (pointing to kids) because you were taken out of school today". I find that offensive, because I don't take my kids out of school for vacation. My kids were on spring break. If people do take their kids out of school, that's fine too, it's their decision, but to just presume you know what you are talking about is rude.

He then told more obnoxious jokes that I really can't remember, but it just seemed very un-Disney like. I mean, when you are on a disney attraction, you are never actually supposed to be on a disney attraction. You're supposed to be on a commercial space flight, or on a train to the base camp of mt Everest, or on an African safari. The whole thing just seemed very wrong and very much not appropriate for a Disney attraction.

Dartha Stewart

"how's everyone doing!" thing, which was fine, BUT then he proceeded to do the, "that wasn't very good, let's try that again!" thing.
I have a good friend who works at a local touristy dinner show. She has to do the same spiel at the beginning:

"Is everybody ready to have a good time?" (Audience cheers)

"I can't hear you...I said, is everybody ready to have a g......"

It's a pretty cliched routine in showbiz, but you'll hear it everywhere. It's just a way to get the sheeple in the stands fired-up and ready to cheer along for whatever is about to proceed on stage. It also makes the audience feel more "involved".

musketeer

Original Poster
I have a good friend who works at a local touristy dinner show. She has to do the same spiel at the beginning:

"Is everybody ready to have a good time?" (Audience cheers)

"I can't hear you...I said, is everybody ready to have a g......"

It's a pretty cliched routine in showbiz, but you'll hear it everywhere. It's just a way to get the sheeple in the stands fired-up and ready to cheer along for whatever is about to proceed on stage. It also makes the audience feel more "involved".

It doesn't make me feel more involved, it's so incredibly cliche that it does nothing but annoy me. It's like, "take my wife, please". Regardless, it has no business on a Disney ride.

Dartha Stewart

It doesn't make me feel more involved, it's so incredibly cliche that it does nothing but annoy me.
Oh I get it completely. It drives me crazy too.

But the majority of tourists don't see it that way. We're on vacation, and so is our dignity. If we're asked to clap, stomp, cheer, shout, slobber, you name it...it's just an unspoken rule to go along with it regardless of how we look. I'll admit I've done it too. But it's a show, and it helps the performers, so it's really no big deal.

Last edited:

DManRightHere

image.jpeg

PhotoDave219

Last week, while visiting Hollywood Studios, we rode Star Tours. I've always loved the ride, in it's originally state, and it's current state. I especially love the Jakku scene. What bothered me was the guy who was working in our vehicle. First, everyone sits down, and he does the, "how's everyone doing!" thing, which was fine, BUT then he proceeded to do the, "that wasn't very good, let's try that again!" thing. That's annoying, I really keep hoping society is going to stop doing that. It's very Carnival cruise line-ish. I remember watching a show on carnival that was 45 minutes long, and it feels like 15 minutes was spent trying to get the crowd to answer that question the satisfaction of the performer.

Then, it got more obnoxious, he said, "you better be having a good time, you're at Disney, especially you kids (pointing to kids) because you were taken out of school today". I find that offensive, because I don't take my kids out of school for vacation. My kids were on spring break. If people do take their kids out of school, that's fine too, it's their decision, but to just presume you know what you are talking about is rude.

He then told more obnoxious jokes that I really can't remember, but it just seemed very un-Disney like. I mean, when you are on a disney attraction, you are never actually supposed to be on a disney attraction. You're supposed to be on a commercial space flight, or on a train to the base camp of mt Everest, or on an African safari. The whole thing just seemed very wrong and very much not appropriate for a Disney attraction.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

danyoung56

First, everyone sits down, and he does the, "how's everyone doing!" thing, which was fine, BUT then he proceeded to do the, "that wasn't very good, let's try that again!" thing. That's annoying...

On a similar note, one of the main reasons I don't like The Lion King show in DAK is that they basically divide the crowd and force them to make noise, thus showing which section is more involved. It's a lame crowd participation routine that's been done a bazillion times, and is a really un-original climax to this show. They used to do a similar thing with Terk in the Tarzan Rocks show that, for me, just killed any momentum that the show had built up to that point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom