Real or prop?

Goofyernmost

77036821.jpg

The cover is meant to be sealed up, you break the glass and pull the lever. It's so it isn't to easy to do, yet not complicated when it is necessary. Pretty common type.

Goofyernmost

Thanks. Still positive it is fake since pulling it did absolutely nothing.
Could be fake, but, it is a dumb idea if it was. Please tell me you didn't pull it, that wouldn't be cool at all unless, of course you were 18 and just finished off a 5th of Wild Turkey Bourbon.

Phonedave

Very unlikely this is real since this is particular type of box was used to telegraph a location code. 5444 would be the location code of the box.

Some departments still use these reporting boxes. I know of a few towns in this area that have them. I also know of a number of towns that still have space on telephone poles for both their signaling cables, and their siren cables ( As an aside, if you ever have a need to climb a utility pole, check to see if there is a siren / wheelock relay up there, if it goes off while you are aloft and you are not expecting it - pants changing time).

My brother is a professional firefighter (somone who does it for a living and gets paid, as opposed to a volunteer) and his department still has reporting boxes in use.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom