Ready for Adult Trip!!

nngrendel

Tossing around ideas with my wife about taking a trip just for the two of us. I know the kids will hate us later but I am so prepared for that. :ROFLOL:

Been thinking of the things I would like to do and trying to figure out how many days would enough for us to have a relaxing visit. We have always planned our visits around the kids and what to do to keep them entertained. Last time we were there I started seeing things I know we would enjoy doing if we were own our own.

Epcot being my favorite I know I will be spending a lot of time there. (Rose and Crown, Bangers and Mash and a nice cold Strongbow await me there I know!!) Any other suggestions or things we must do while child free while there would be great. Also some of the best times to go that have low crowds would be nice. Either thinking of September as our anniversary is during this month or March to catch the International Flower & Garden Festival.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'll throw out a quick list and elaborate more if you need me too.

La Nouba
Jellyrolls
9:00 pm and later at Raglan Rd
Signature restaurants such as California Grill, Jiko, Artist Point, etc.
Behind the scenes tours.

Upvote 0

nngrendel

Original Poster
Thanks Yoda I talked to you two years ago when planning our last trip. Glad to see you are still around.

Dining is a big advantage we will have visiting without the kids. We have 5 kids and tips alone ranged around $40 with a party of 7. Before we left last time we had Breakfast at 'Ohana and I asked our waitress about the dinner menu. Is this as good as it sounded when she told me about it??

Raglan Rd. sounds AWESOME!! Thanks!! Looking into that now.

Do they still have Segway tours around the world at Epcot?

What about the MK Dessert Party during Wishes? Or has Wishes been expired now? Sorry I am out of the loop. Its hard to visit the boards here when you dont have a trip planned. its just too painful. LOL.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks Yoda I talked to you two years ago when planning our last trip. Glad to see you are still around.

Dining is a big advantage we will have visiting without the kids. We have 5 kids and tips alone ranged around $40 with a party of 7. Before we left last time we had Breakfast at 'Ohana and I asked our waitress about the dinner menu. Is this as good as it sounded when she told me about it??

Raglan Rd. sounds AWESOME!! Thanks!! Looking into that now.

Do they still have Segway tours around the world at Epcot?

What about the MK Dessert Party during Wishes? Or has Wishes been expired now? Sorry I am out of the loop. Its hard to visit the boards here when you dont have a trip planned. its just too painful. LOL.
I know the feeling. We have three kids and when my wife and I get the check from a dinner for only two we get reverse sticker shock.

They still have both the segway tour at Epcot and the Wishes desert party, although getting reservations for the desert party can be a bit tricky as they do not seem to release dates for it with any regular pattern.

Upvote 0

westie

The problem I always have and, you may fall into this to is that I want to relax, I want to stroll, I don't want some kids head up my rear while waiting in line. But, alas, the wife has always got to make it a death march. Up at dawn and on the ready line soldier. Out the door and no coming back till everything is closed. No drinking(or very little) till I get back to the room and raid the minibar.(and thats really expensive) I come home soo tired I need a couple days on the couch before I can go back to work. Oh, if only a happy median existed.:shrug:

Upvote 0

wendysue

No offense to families meant, but we SOOOOO enjoy going without kids. There are so many places to discover that the kids might not want to look at. We usually just hop on a boat or bus just to see where we end up. We like to wander around the other resorts and check out their lounges and have a drink. The beach at the Poly is so nice in the evening.
Have a great time...

Upvote 0

10Magic

Don't poo-poo the early starts! If you get to the park at rope drop, you can be DONE with all non-kiddie stuff by 1:00. Then the day is yours for relaxing or whatever floats your boat. Perhaps even floating in a boat.

Upvote 0

moonchild925

I have only really done adult trips as i have no kids and last year and this year (2 weeks away!!!) with a group of 6 adults and i agree with all the above suggestions. dinner at jiko or victoria and alberts are my top dining recommendations. The segway tours are both great though i kind of lean towards the epcot one if you haven't done one. Also since pleasure island as we know it is gone and with it the adventurer's club (muffled sob) i think jellyrolls and raglan rd are the best alternatives you'll find. Another alternative if within your budget is a fireworks cruise or for a slightly more romantic lean maybe just find a patch of sand at poly to watch the fireworks from. Enjoy your trip! Being big kids at disney is the best!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

lbrad

DH & I are taking our second (really 3rd) "adult only'' trip in 17 days!!!

Last trip we went late Nov. and enjoyed all the festivities and decor for Christmas. Dined at Narcoossee's & Cali Grill for the first time ... both during Wishes ...and both were AWESOME!

This trip we are going to enjoy Food & Wine; dine at Citricos; walk
the Boardwalk, etc.

Each trip we have done over a LONG weekend. (DH is a school teacher).
We have enjoyed are "QAULITY" time together.

Go and ENJOY :wave:

Upvote 0

nngrendel

Original Poster
Last trip we went late Nov. and enjoyed all the festivities and decor for Christmas.

That is the other thing I am trying to decide. When to go....
Our anniversary is during the First of Sept. and I see the pricing is affordable after Labor Day. Any other times to look at??

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That is the other thing I am trying to decide. When to go....
Our anniversary is during the First of Sept. and I see the pricing is affordable after Labor Day. Any other times to look at??
Aside from the heat and possibility of rain September is a great time to go crowd wise. Early October would be my choice simply because of food and wine and MNSSHP. Another good time is between marathon week in early January and before the rate spike that happens in mid February. It tends to be cool to cold with a lower chance of rain.

Upvote 0

durangojim

My wife and I go every couple of years to WDW for an adults only trip, usually 4 nights. We went this past July and stayed at the Poly. We had an absolutely great time and felt no remorse or guilt. Some of that might be because we had been here with our kids in May and are bringing them back in Oct, but still. Going for an adult only trip is such a different wonderful experience that I think any couple who has only been with their kids should try it at least once. It gives us a chance to do things we wouldn't normally do with the kids, mainly relax, sleep in late, rent a cabana, enjoy more adult libations than usual, and stay in the MK until 3am (not happening with a 3 y/o and 6 y/o. Hope you decide to do it and have a great time!

Upvote 0

nngrendel

Original Poster
My wife and I go every couple of years to WDW for an adults only trip, usually 4 nights. We went this past July and stayed at the Poly. We had an absolutely great time and felt no remorse or guilt. Some of that might be because we had been here with our kids in May and are bringing them back in Oct, but still. Going for an adult only trip is such a different wonderful experience that I think any couple who has only been with their kids should try it at least once. It gives us a chance to do things we wouldn't normally do with the kids, mainly relax, sleep in late, rent a cabana, enjoy more adult libations than usual, and stay in the MK until 3am (not happening with a 3 y/o and 6 y/o. Hope you decide to do it and have a great time!

I am hearing nothing but good things about going without the kids. I don't want people to think we hate our kids. However taking children at the age of 3 to maybe 12 is a different world from taking kids that are ages 14+. Seem the older kids get the more they complain about things. Im hungry, thirsty and of course Im Hot. However adults can be thirsty, hungry, and hot but not complain to the extent of teenagers can. Not to mention the uncool factor with having to hang out with your parents.

I dont think I have been as an adult without hearing normal arguments and complaints while there. (Teenage Siblings can argue like no other even on the happiest place on earth.) You know if you sit around and take a break long enough to notice others around you its not hard to find other parents struggling with the same issue you are. I have been there and done that multiple times. Time to try something new!

My last trip was June 2009 and I am getting excited again about returning for a whole different experience. Talk to my wife about it last night and she said it seems like a great idea. Thats the just permission I need to start looking! Now we just need to receive a pin code or Free Dining for the dates I am looking into.

Im looking into September as I can save some $$. The heat doesn't bother me as I have been in July and August and know how to work around the hottest parts of the day. Hurricanes however worry me. Thats a big gamble.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am hearing nothing but good things about going without the kids. I don't want people to think we hate our kids. However taking children at the age of 3 to maybe 12 is a different world from taking kids that are ages 14+. Seem the older kids get the more they complain about things. Im hungry, thirsty and of course Im Hot. However adults can be thirsty, hungry, and hot but not complain to the extent of teenagers can. Not to mention the uncool factor with having to hang out with your parents.

I dont think I have been as an adult without hearing normal arguments and complaints while there. (Teenage Siblings can argue like no other even on the happiest place on earth.) You know if you sit around and take a break long enough to notice others around you its not hard to find other parents struggling with the same issue you are. I have been there and done that multiple times. Time to try something new!

My last trip was June 2009 and I am getting excited again about returning for a whole different experience. Talk to my wife about it last night and she said it seems like a great idea. Thats the just permission I need to start looking! Now we just need to receive a pin code or Free Dining for the dates I am looking into.

Im looking into September as I can save some $$. The heat doesn't bother me as I have been in July and August and know how to work around the hottest parts of the day. Hurricanes however worry me. Thats a big gamble.
Quite the contrary, taking a break from the stresses of being a parent from time to time can make you a better parent. You need time to decompress. It gives you more patience and tolerance.

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

Living in Fl I can tell you we haven't had a hurricane in 5 years! If one was to come I would evacuate to Disney! By the time it got to Disney which is inland it would only be rain and some wind. They are also very prepared and a safe place to stay even during a hurricane. Our children are all grown and we still go to Disney at least twice a year sometimes more. Its great doing what you want when you want. There is so much for adults! Have a great time!!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom