Read This Article

Captain Chaos

Original Poster
This article was in the NY Daily news:

Beneath the Goofy looks

By CORKY SIEMASZKO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

A new magazine article exposes the dark side of Disney.

There's a rat in the Magic Kingdom.
A new exposé rips the enormous fiberglass heads off Mickey, Goofy and other beloved Walt Disney characters and reveals the stressful and sometimes seamy underside of Disney World.

"The pressure is enough to drive some Goofys to drink," reporter Tyler Gray reports in the debut issue of Radar magazine.

Whenever possible, the actors flee the sterility of Disney World and seek sanctuary in the grungy 1.5-mile network of dank tunnels below. There they shed their heads in the "zoo" and unwind in ways Walt Disney would frown upon.

"My first day off the bus, I remember seeing Snow White, Mary Poppins and Ariel in costume, standing out there puffing on cigarettes," a former Pluto said.

Then there's Vista Way, an apartment complex known as "adult amusement park where they can shed their costumes altogether" and often do.

"The building houses students from around the world," Gray writes. "It serves as a breeding ground for legions of wanna-be Goofys, Donalds and Plutos."

While recruits are supposed to be living there under Disney's draconian code of behavior, "they're among the youngest, freest, and of the corporation's workforce," Gray writes. And they learn "the thrill of defying the Disney image."

______, drinking and drugs are rampant. And the place's reputation is so notorious that Paris Hilton "is rumored to have dropped by," according to Gray.

It's the chance to perform before a crowd that draws so many young people, many of them gay.

"Prospective characters must meet strict guidelines," Gray writes.

Nobody taller than 5 feet tall gets to wear the Mickey head. Nobody black gets to be Snow White. Nobody white gets to be Mulan. And everybody has to audition to get in.

There's also an unofficial pecking order.

The best gigs are for the "chosen few" who have the "delicate bonestructure" to play Prince Charming or Cinderella.

Then come the big five characters - Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and Donald.

"At the bottom rung are obscure fur characters like Mr. Smee, Captain Hook's sidekick in 'Peter Pan,'" Gray writes.

For $6.50 an hour, they don the oven-like costumes and endure the endless parade of signing autographs, posing for pictures and hugging tykes.

"The first time I stepped out in character I felt like I was famous," one Pluto said. "Everybody freaks out and rushes up to you."

All the while, Disney is watching.

"You don't want someone to start hip-hop dancing or doing the robot in Goofy," said Justin Alt, who trained actors to be Disney characters. "You don't want to ruin the fantasy."

Mortimer B. Zuckerman, chairman and publisher of the Daily News, is co-chairman of Radar, a glossy new general interest magazine edited by Maer Roshan.

Bravesfn1

Thanks for the info. I am assuming that the magazine that the article is in is Radar listed and the end of the post. Is that correct? I want to check that out, sounds interesting. They should really ban Paris Hilton from ever going back to hang with the cast members. Not for anything she did, but because she is a talentless hack.

Melerella

I hate when the newspapers make things sound like that. I knew about Vista Way...but...are they desperate for news? And so what some smoke? Smoking doesn't mean they are evil. :brick:

I don't like that article..lolol..but thank you for posting it! = )

Bravesfn1

Melerella said:
I hate when the newspapers make things sound like that. I knew about Vista Way...but...are they desperate for news? And so what some smoke? Smoking doesn't mean they are evil. :brick:

I don't like that article..lolol..but thank you for posting it! = )

Actually the article in the NY Daily News is using a article in the debut issue of Radar magazine as a basis for the story. It is not their original story, the newspaper is talking about an article that'll appear in Radar magazine. But, anyways who really cares what the cast members do on their own time on Vista Way. I don't.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Bravesfn1 said:
Actually the article in the NY Daily News is using a article in the debut issue of Radar magazine as a basis for the story. It is not their original story, the newspaper is talking about an article that'll appear in Radar magazine. But, anyways who really cares what the cast members do on their own time on Vista Way. I don't.

And its the first issue of radar, which means that it is trying to get subscribers.
Radar is either a trash mag, or a mag done sarcastically. I can't tell from the second hand story posted here.

LpMcQuack

Ah yes The Daily News, "New York's Hometown Paper", they same people who brought just fine journalists as Jimmy Breslin and Mike Lupica. As a native New Yorker, I recall the Daily News as given to those who graduated from Hooked on Phonics. Like it was mentioned earlier, must be a slow news day today in New York.

Bravesfn1

TiggersPooh said:
Why do people care what goes on at Vista Way?

Its an apartment complex full of college students (including myself)...and we have fun!

I agree with you. Some people want to hold Disney and its cast members to some impossible, idealstic standards and when there is something that contradicts those ideals it's news. To me it's something that reallly doesn't bother me.

JungTrekAsia

TiggersPooh said:

Its an apartment complex full of college students (including myself)...and we have fun!

Anytime you get that many college kids together in a whole housing/apartment complex, you know things may get crazy - its a blast there and shouldnt be frowned or looked down upon. We still went to work and made the magic everyday.

Honestly - I really don't care what cast members do on their off-time, whether it's smoking or crazy goings-on back at the apartment complex. As long as it doesn't interfere with the job ("making magic" at WDW), why does it matter?

If it was any other company in the world, nobody would care either (do you see articles about what newspaper reporters do in their free time? Or heck, anyone else?)

But some people hold Disney to a higher standard. It really is a heck of a complement to Disney's incredible standard and amazing service in-park that there's even a need to write articles like this about OFFTIME.

Now, if Snow White was smoking and Prince Charming and Cinderella were getting it on in full costume on stage - THAT might be a problem...

ballewclan

So Vista Way is just like a college campus? Sorry this is the first time ive ever heard of it!

If so then you can expect college aged students to act like, well, college aged students?:)

LoisMustDie

Oh no! People have to WORK for their money now?! Heaven forfend! What kind of evil corporation is this? :rolleyes:

And I love how they just threw out the phrase "many of them (CP CMs) are gay," implying that it's somehow evil for Disney to hire such people. And I'm sure these idiots can BACK UP their claims. :rolleyes: These people need a good kick in the nuts. Go back to blabbering about Paris Hilton, you talentless hacks.

MKCustodial

TiggersPooh said:

And they always forget to mention that, if you don't wanna engage in any of the activities, you just don't! I was there for 3 months and never went to a single party. We did throw water balloons at a party that got out of an apartment and into the streets at 3 in the morning, but they asked for it. :lol:

aloha2308

Ah Liberal Journalism, Breathe Deep and Smell the Stink

:brick: As LP McQuack pointed out, the Daily News is sufficient only as liner for the world's birdcages. More truthful and insightful reporting is done by the "Weekly World News". And I agree with the post that pointed out that this magazine with their "expose" is brand new and probably desperately trying to get subscribers.

Don't forget, however, that the Orlando Sentinel :hurl: leaps all over anything that has to do with Disney imperfection. It's a well formed pattern, and it only proves that trying to do something truly good will get you picked on the same way you get picked on for being a decent kid throughout your schooling career. It's not cool to be about magic, or good, clean family fun. Articles like this are written by miserable people who like to rip away peoples' dreams and kill happiness and idealism, so that everyone shares in their misery. These people should be pitied, because they will never let themselves experience the fun of enjoying time in a place where everyone is as young as they want to be, or the look on the face of a child meeting Mickey for the first time ever. Rather, they'll just sit and pull the wings off of everyone's butterflies to make themselves feel better about leading lives devoid of happiness. Sorta like the mean girls who make fun of other people to make their flaws less discernable.

At any rate, we all know what Disney is about, and speaking as a castmember myself, maybe I'll call the customer service line and let them know what I think of their little magazine.:lookaroun Their ace reporter should remember a quote from "Miracle on 34th Street":

"Look Doris, someday you're going to find that your way of facing this realistic world just doesn't work. And when you do, don't overlook those lovely intangibles. You'll discover those are the only things that are worthwhile." - Fred Gailey

tk421-sw

Being friends with a few Cm's I'v heard some scarey stories, but I would still like to work there. My friend worked as a character, in woredrobe, and all kinds of other thing, but hadn't been to MK in TWO years untill gradnight. She said something like "It lost it's magic after ten years, and Iv never needed to go back after that" But she really enjoyed gradnight. I still wan tto work there at some point, to be a "Fab-five" would be cool, (Id be pluto, but whatever) I can only hope, maybe just parttime or something,

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom