Re-fillable mugs?

docdebbi

Sorry to have started a heated discussion over ethics! It was just a quick question to clarify a point. I thought that mug could be used all over disney just like the dining plan isn't limited to your booked resort restaurants. I didn't mean could I get away with using it in a way it wasn't ment to be used!

i don't know how long or how often you come to this site, but you inadvertantly stepped into one of the hottest topics here. One side arguing it's ok even though the official rules say no, the other arguing it is not ok.

let's just say, it always gets interesting and it always gets unkind. so don't take anyone's answers as a personal assualt, it is an ongoing debate that frustrates folks- from both sides!!!

real mad hatter

When we stayed at PORS in July this year.We always would take our mugs to the Foodcourts at breakfast.Why on earth would anyone want to carry them to another resort Foodcourt is beyond me.:confused:

real mad hatter

i don't know how long or how often you come to this site, but you inadvertantly stepped into one of the hottest topics here. One side arguing it's ok even though the official rules say no, the other arguing it is not ok.

let's just say, it always gets interesting and it always gets unkind. so don't take anyone's answers as a personal assualt, it is an ongoing debate that frustrates folks- from both sides!!!
Exactly,like pool hopping.:(

beanbunny

I always take my mug to the parks - not to try to refill it (even though I've seen people do it at self serve stations) but to fill with water from the drinking fountains. Unfortunately, I've had snarky remarks on the buses. I just explain I use it for water - that usually shuts them up.

jharvey

I always take my mug to the parks - not to try to refill it (even though I've seen people do it at self serve stations) but to fill with water from the drinking fountains. Unfortunately, I've had snarky remarks on the buses. I just explain I use it for water - that usually shuts them up.

we always end up taking them to the park also. No ill intent, I am a psychic. I know that after an 12 hour day walking through EPCOT, carrying and over active 5 year old on my shoulders, I would like the option of hoping off the bus and filling up in the food court. I think I would be emotionally broken if, in that scenario, I had to walk to the room, retrieve the mugs, then walk back to the foodcourt and then back.

That said, I would think what may cause Disney the most fits is not the POR guests using their mugs at the CSR, but people bringing their mugs back from previous stays. I could see that as an issue. That said, I think I just figured out how to save on my next visit. That's if my mugs make it that far.

The Mighty Tim

I don't mean to start a flame war, or open a huge can of worms, as I realise through my pre-membership lurking days that this is a very divisive issue. However, the points made in this thread actually raise an interesting question, due to a scenario which almost presented itself during my last trip.

My brother and I were staying at AS Sports, whereas my folks were staying at PO Riverside. On one of the days, we were going to rent a car, and we decided that we'd all meet at PO and go to the car rental place all together. It was suggested that maybe we could all have breakfast at the PO Food Court together. We didn't in the end, but reading through the posts here, if we had done so, and my brother and I wanted to grab a drink with our mugs purchased from AS Sports, would it have been within the ethics of Disney Resort drink dispenser etiquette to do so? Or would we have had to make a one-off beverage purchase?

I always like to operate with good manners, and good etiquette, and I would not have liked to inadvertently broken some rule somewhere - because I've always understood that a purchase of a mug is good for the entire duration of your stay on Disney property, but could be used in any resort food court (but not, of course, the parks themselves).

real mad hatter

Oh Mighty Tim..The refillable is for use at your resort only during your stay.Yes,I've seen people using past mugs in the Foodcourts but to be honest,we have five sets from previous five visits,great souvenirs for bringing home,especially when this year they were free.:)

awesomeinabox

Oh Mighty Tim..The refillable is for use at your resort only during your stay.Yes,I've seen people using past mugs in the Foodcourts but to be honest,we have five sets from previous five visits,great souvenirs for bringing home,especially when this year they were free.:)
Oh darn you mean you noticed me using my ASM branded mug last President's Day? I guess I have to buy a new one in January.

Kidding aside, I think it would be REALLY awkward to go to a resort to just use their pop machine, the work required to do so wouldn't be worth the payoff of the sweet forbidden coca cola. Although, it's way less sketchy than the people that take their coffee cups from inside the room to the food court. I'm unethical though and have used my cup at an All Star Resort while staying at POR, I had friends there who had lunch with me and ended up buying some rice krispie treats too. It happens, I'll survive and so will WDW. Unless the Disney Police read this and I am forced to ride IASM for 5 hours as punishment.

luv

I don't mean to start a flame war, or open a huge can of worms, as I realise through my pre-membership lurking days that this is a very divisive issue. However, the points made in this thread actually raise an interesting question, due to a scenario which almost presented itself during my last trip.

My brother and I were staying at AS Sports, whereas my folks were staying at PO Riverside. On one of the days, we were going to rent a car, and we decided that we'd all meet at PO and go to the car rental place all together. It was suggested that maybe we could all have breakfast at the PO Food Court together. We didn't in the end, but reading through the posts here, if we had done so, and my brother and I wanted to grab a drink with our mugs purchased from AS Sports, would it have been within the ethics of Disney Resort drink dispenser etiquette to do so? Or would we have had to make a one-off beverage purchase?

I always like to operate with good manners, and good etiquette, and I would not have liked to inadvertently broken some rule somewhere - because I've always understood that a purchase of a mug is good for the entire duration of your stay on Disney property, but could be used in any resort food court (but not, of course, the parks themselves).
you are confusing ethics and morals. While they may often be on the same side of an issue, they are not always. They are very different animals. Don't grow up to be an adult who doesn't understand the difference. :) The refillable mug is not an ethical issue. Some will argue that it is a moral one, which I guess is technically true.

No, Disney would not care even a little if you use your mug while dining with your parents. But there are some people who would frown on (or become enraged thinking about) you using it there. Is it technically against the rules? Yes. It would not be poor manners, so long as you aren't doing some other thing like line jumping or shoving your mug in front of someone else.

Manners have almost nothing to do with ethics or morals, lol. It is often said that a lady can murder her husband and remain a lady, but she cannot be late for dinner. Amusing, but true.

Now you have to think and make decisions for yourself.

Yankeesfan5

I believe that you're only supposed to refill the mug at your resort, and the new system that's starting to be utilized should make sure of that.

Yankeesfan5

What new system? I've been away a few weeks!
Within the last few months, Disney has started testing a system so that only those who purchased refillable mugs on that stay can refill their mugs. When you buy a refillable mug, you will be given an RFID bracelet, which you will tap to something on the refill station. The system should be widespread within the next 2 years.

Wesleyjohn

Within the last few months, Disney has started testing a system so that only those who purchased refillable mugs on that stay can refill their mugs. When you buy a refillable mug, you will be given an RFID bracelet, which you will tap to something on the refill station. The system should be widespread within the next 2 years.

Any idea where these RFID tags are so far? We leave in 5 days and are planning on getting several mugs.

Also, to me the fact that it is only available at your home resort seems stupid. How many people waste even 30 minutes to get a free soda. I just don't see many people stopping their trip to stop over to a separate place just for a drink.

Yankeesfan5

Any idea where these RFID tags are so far? We leave in 5 days and are planning on getting several mugs.

Also, to me the fact that it is only available at your home resort seems stupid. How many people waste even 30 minutes to get a free soda. I just don't see many people stopping their trip to stop over to a separate place just for a drink.
I was just there in January, and the RFID system was not in use at AoA. They are only testing it.

Jessica Meier

Always interesting. Gotta love people that use the way of thinking "If I don't get caught it isn't wrong". Seriously, if you refill the mug in the morning before you leave for the park and when you come back every day of your trip you are getting your money's worth in soda. Not to mention if you were to buy a souvenir mug in the parks it would cost you twice the $ and no soda or coffee. Always amazes me how people want something for nothing and think it is owed to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom