RCI/DVC

eb3257

Original Poster
Does anyone know if you can use an RCI timeshare for a DVC property? My parents have a set week (not points) through RCI and I wondered if you could use it towards DVC and what the process would be. I would love to exchange it for some time at Animal Kingdom Lodge but we are not picky as to what resort we stay at. Thanks in advance for any help!! :)

nickys

Premium Member
Does anyone know if you can use an RCI timeshare for a DVC property? My parents have a set week (not points) through RCI and I wondered if you could use it towards DVC and what the process would be. I would love to exchange it for some time at Animal Kingdom Lodge but we are not picky as to what resort we stay at. Thanks in advance for any help!! :)

I believe you can, but I have only seen reports of SSR and OKW being available. Not sure about their fixed weeks, I think ANY DIsney resort will use a lot more points than a fixed week at RCI will cost.

Rob562

Yes, you can use RCI to trade into DVC, we've done it three times. (Once at Beach Club right after they joined RCI, and twice at Saratoga) My parents also have a fixed week (referred to as "RCI Weeks") rather than Points. Unfortunately, the trading value of my parents' week on Cape Cod has been holding steady or slightly declining while the trading power required to get into DVC has been rising steadily, so we're getting to the point where we are either being priced out of the trade, or we would have to combine two years' of deposits to have enough trading power.

There are also a couple other issues. Disney has been only depositing 1-bedroom units for a few years now. Three or four years ago we got a 2-bedroom at SSR, but that was one of the last they deposited. Last year we only got a 1-bedroom.

And since DVC is in high demand in RCI, you need to start an Ongoing Search VERY far in advance (like 9 months or more) and give them a large window of dates you'd accept. We always gave a 3-4 week window where we'd accept any check-in within it. And don't expect the match to come more than 4-5 months out. (The waiting can be nerve-wracking)

Lastly, Disney has doubled their "incoming DVC exchange fee" from $95 to $190. (They did this so they could offer free exchanges by DVC owners into RCI) All of the fees combined (The DVC fee, the RCI Exchange fee plus the annual dues for the actual timeshare) is putting it to the point of being cheaper for us to just rent DVC points.

-Rob

dreamfinder

As @Rob562 said, you need to be flexible and put in for it well in advance. We traded in twice, once into SSR and once into OKW. We were able to get weeks that were close to what we wanted, but at the time they were Fri-Fri, Sat-Sat, or Sun-Sun only. I think we ended up taking the first that came up, and then having to tack on normal hotel days before/after to get it closer to what we wanted. Have a backup plan in case the trade doesn't come through, but I seem to recall that units tended to come up a month or so after the owners 7mo booking window hit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom