Rating the Rides Fright Factor for Kids

TAH

Original Poster
I have a pretty stout 5-1/2yr old princess (45" and 42Lbs.) who wants to ride all the rides on her first trip to WDW. Many books categorized the fright factor by preschool, grade school, teens and so on. Still, I'm still not sure if my child should ride rides like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Kali River Rapids, Splash Mountain, or Dinosaur. Her dad will be with her but I don't want to ruin her trip by going too far too soon. Any Advise?

togasports

Im not sure about height restrictions, but from a freight standpoint I would avoid Dinosaur, Big Thunder is Loud in some parts, but i think is fun because it doesnt loop or anything really scary. River Rapids will just make you EXTREMELY wet, and splash mountainmight scare her with the drop, but everything else is fun with brer bear and rabbit!
I hope that This has helped, and Welcome to The Message Boards!

barnum42

As toga said - height will probably be the main factor. Other than that, loud noise and darkness is the main thing to be wary of of the "scary" rides.

GenerationX

My youngest son (who is 5) has been on all of the attractions you mention, except for Dinosaur, and enjoyed them despite being a little apprehensive. I've been on Dinosaur, and I'd steer clear of that one with little kids.

My best advice is to have her ride the tame attractions first and work your way up to the ones you're not sure of. A friend of mine mistakenly put one of his kids on Dinosaur as her first attraction at WDW, and she refused to get on another ride for the rest of the trip.

surfsupdon

GenerationX said:
My best advice is to have her ride the tame attractions first and work your way up to the ones you're not sure of. A friend of mine mistakenly put one of his kids on Dinosaur as her first attraction at WDW, and she refused to get on another ride for the rest of the trip.

And yet my first ride as a 4 year old was the pre-refurbished Snow White's Scary Adv. and I screamed and cried and refused to ride anything else until after our 7th voyage through Small World.

I have since overcome my fear. ;)

venooch333

Most children seem to be able to handle the "scary" rides but get spoked by other things, such as the witch in Snow White! So really you need to know how your children are going to react to different things!! The only ride i would never go on is Space Mountain and thats purly because you can't see your hand infront of your face! :king:

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I give all of the info on the height restrictions ans scary rides to my clients when they book and I do an itinerary for them.
I will tell you that my daughter who was 8 at the time totally freaked out when she rode Dinosaur. Another one that I would not take your daughter on is ToT. I think that RnRC may be too much for a 5 year old also.
It's in the dark and goes upside down. It is pretty intense for a young child.

Pam

DCL

Kingdom Konsultant said:
I will tell you that my daughter who was 8 at the time totally freaked out when she rode Dinosaur.

I'm 20 years old and still get freaked out when I ride Dinosaur! :lol:

mr.bad

I FIRST RODE DINOSAR WHEN I WAS ABOUT.....6 OR 7 AND I THOGHT IT WAS THE BEST THING I'D EVER BEEN ON,SPLASH MOUNTIAN AND THUNDER MOUNTAIN AT 4 AND I'M SURE.:). AND I SILL HATE SPACE MOUNTAIN.:lol:

:fork: PATRIOTS!:fork:

Tom

Beta Return
TAH said:
I have a pretty stout 5-1/2yr old princess (45" and 42Lbs.) who wants to ride all the rides on her first trip to WDW. Many books categorized the fright factor by preschool, grade school, teens and so on. Still, I'm still not sure if my child should ride rides like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Kali River Rapids, Splash Mountain, or Dinosaur. Her dad will be with her but I don't want to ruin her trip by going too far too soon. Any Advise?

Check this out: http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/rr.htm

Robfasto

It all depends on the child, I have seen childern 5 and 6 years old riding on E-Ticket rides while 10 and 12 year old children wait outside. Each and every person handles rides different. My son who is now 10 will anything and everything, he always has been a thrill seeker. His favorite ride when we want to Disneyland Resort in 2002 was the Mali-boomer http://www.disneypix.com/Disneyland/CA/PP/2002/PP-011702-66.htm

I have never stopped my child from riding any ride because I thought it was to much for him.

Only you know your child and what they might and might not like...

Maika

Tower may be something not to take her on. There are little kids who love it, but then again there are adults that hate it. Heck, even some roller coaster fanatics are scared of it!

Goofette

Dreamflight4Eva said:
I'm 20 years old and still get freaked out when I ride Dinosaur! :lol:

I'm almost twice your age and I get freaked out on that! I was so embarassed when I rode it, because I had to ride with a different family. My dh waited outside with dd. I kept trying to cover my ears and hang on to the bar, but the way the ride slings you around it was pretty difficult...After it was over I "thought" I liked it, but I'm not sure HAHAHA.

I thought my dd at age 7 would love HM, because she loves Halloween and the spooky fun stuff. That was the 2nd ride we rode at WDW and I was afraid she wasn't going to get on anymore. Everytime we were near there and she heard the howling, she would freak out. She says now that she can't wait to ride it again (she'll be turning 11 next month), so I'm crossing my fingers :lol:

She should be fine. My brother is 3 and 38" (The height limit is 40" for Splash, Thunder, & Dino and 38" for Kali) So my mom went out and bought him shoes that made him exactly 40 inches, and he LOVED all the rides. Shoot, he even rode Tower of Terror :p Let your princess do what she is comfortable with. If she wants to try it, and doesn't like it-- then she won't have to do it again.. Just don't let her regret something because she didn't get to do it..

TAH

Original Poster
Well were back from WDW and I thought I would follow up with ya all.

My little princess loved Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain Railroad, and all the other roller coaster rides that the big D threw at her. Dinosaur was the only one to scare her and to warrant a "Dad, lets not ride that one again". The kid's got spunk!

Bullredchaser

Glad to hear she tried everything.Dinosaur scares my wife as well ,but she stiill manages to get back on.She is also a roller coaster fanatic.

mej

For some reason our kids assumed that once you were tall enough, it meant that Mickey expected you to ride!! DS has been doing ToT since he was 3! There was no talking him out of it! He still isn't overly keen on the Twilight Zone bit but he loves the drop! He is 7 now and we have just returned from DLP where for the first time he was tall enough for RnRC! He can't wait to be as tall as his sister so that he can do PW with his sister.

The only ride I was wary about taking either DD or DS on was SM and that was only because I couldn't sit beside them if they were upset.

coasterphil

Has she been on rides at other amusement parks. It helps if you can compare the Disney rides with those in order to comfort them. My little brother who is four went on just about everything at MGM and MK. I explained that ToT was just a big Frog Hopper and he understood that and was actually laughing after the initial drop. At MK we decided against Space Mountain because he would have to sit by himself, but he did great on Splash Mountain. He enjoyed everything up until the drop was a little frightened but was willing to ride again. It took some convincing to get him on BTMR, but after he watched it and we explained that it was just a fast train ride he really enjoyed it and wanted to ride again. He was a little tense at the beginning of HM but ended up being fine half way through.

indianajdp

Wow, I'm impressed she actually rode Dinosaur. I didn't even bother trying to get my 4 1/2 year-old daughter on that one. She did fine on Splash Mountain and Big Thunder, but hated POTC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom