Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Zoog Disney

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Vault Disney (RIP)

Votes: 17 65.4%

• Total voters

General Grizz

Original Poster
What part of the Disney Channel do you like the most - and the part that proves truly Disney-esque? Please explain your answer if you have a few moments.

Think carefully before voting. Think to yourself what Disney-esque is. And please post it if you have a good idea.

General Grizz

Original Poster
OK - now please, with Zoog Disney - I am interested to hear why you dub it Disney-esque. Please describe if it has any capacity for adults and children to enjoy quality time together.

The weird thing is, when I have swipped through Zoog, they always say how Disney Channel Stars are Kids Just Like Me. Yeah. Okay... Just like a 75 year old also. Unless they want to throw back at you "Kid at heart"...

To me, a major aspect of Disney is he bonds between family. The programming inside Vault Disney, especially classic episodes of the Wonderful World of Color or Ink and Paint Club, are not made for kids. They're not made for adults. They're not made for teenagers. They were made for family - and that's exactly what they are! Vault Disney programming featured some of the only true, classic, family entertainment. And I think Walt was the best at this. Many folks wonder what's missing from ABC. Well folks, it's right here.

Sure, parents can watch their children enjoy Playhouse Disney. But the majority of shows on here are really focused towards smaller children. But, didn't Walt Disney always envisioned a place where family could enjoy it together - the satisfaction placed both on the parents and the children??? Yes, teenagers dig the stars on the Zoog Disney, but younger audiences I know usually switch the station when it comes on, and frankly, I don't find the thing the least bit entertaining. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it is the wrong thing to show 75% on a station dubbed "The Disney Channel".

It seems to me that families are now being separated into groups rather than being brought together. I can now only imagine a world where Walt Disney once stood in front of American audiences. Luckily, I have several episodes of the Wonderful World of Color on tape. I put it in Christmas Eve for the whole family: with members from three to eighty-two. Not a person left unsatisfied.

There is magic in this stuff. Magic that paved the way for the Disney company. Horizons broadened. But where are they leading? Are they leading in a direction money-based? If so, will they try to be more like more successful stations, such as Nickelodeon? If this is the case, why does it even exist? Imagine watching Walt Disney Presents with the children at 7. Then snuggle up for a few classic cartoons. Maybe a light night classic film. Yes, teenagers now-a-day who aren't particularly Disney fans probably find this whole thing utterly disgusting. So, sure, Disney - just create a Zoog Disney Channel, and then create...A Disney Channel.

MicBat

Vault Disney would have been a lot better if they would have shown more classic Disney specials more often. I liked seeing the opening of WDW and the newer MMC (the one from the 70's). Whenever I turned on VD, I would see Zorro (not a favorite of mine) or some true life documentary. With the shows the present Disney Channel (formerly "Zoog" - thank God they got rid of them, though) plays, a vast age range is reached. Little kids watch it, of course, but a lot of people my age watch it, too (I am in college). Walt Disney provided quality entertainment for the whole family to enjoy. I am able to watch the Disney Channel with my parents and not get emberrassed at some of the content and dialogue, like most other shows on tv now.

I learned in mass comm class the other day that with Disney and Nickelodeon in competition, more and more preschool shows are out now than ever. Just thought I'd add that piece of info! :)

General Grizz

Original Poster
Please - anyone voting for Playhouse/Zoog especially, please explain to us why you feel this way. Also, additional comments can be added for Vault Disney as well; I am just curious of why these selections have been chosen.

Thanks!!!

Wilson

The problem with the Disney Channel now is that it's the same thing over and over. I mean, Boy Meets World is shown almost 50 times during a two week period. Sister, Sister is on almost 60 times during that same two week span. Do we really need 25+ hours a week of the same two average sitcoms? Add to that the fact that there are a glut of shows with a similar style/feel (i.e. Even Stevens = Lizzie McGuire = Jett Jackson; Boy Meets World = Sister, Sister = Smart Guy) and the whole channel is just stale.
My solution: Keep all of the shows currently playing on the Disney Channel, but, show them only once a day. If you look at the current schedule, doing this would clear 9-10 hours a day for other programming. Use that time for whatever, old shows, news shows, anything, so long as it's different. I mean, they have 75 years worth of material, how about a little variety?

btw, I voted for Vault Disney, but to me it was merely average. It suffered from the same problem as the current schedule: the same things were shown over and over. Every time I turned it on it seemed to be Zorro or the Swamp Fox with Leslie Nielson. Nothing wrong with that, but again, a little variety please. They could do/have done so much more with what they have

MicBat

Originally posted by Wilson
The problem with the Disney Channel now is that it's the same thing over and over. I mean, Boy Meets World is shown almost 50 times during a two week period. Sister, Sister is on almost 60 times during that same two week span. Do we really need 25+ hours a week of the same two average sitcoms? Add to that the fact that there are a glut of shows with a similar style/feel (i.e. Even Stevens = Lizzie McGuire = Jett Jackson; Boy Meets World = Sister, Sister = Smart Guy) and the whole channel is just stale.
My solution: Keep all of the shows currently playing on the Disney Channel, but, show them only once a day. If you look at the current schedule, doing this would clear 9-10 hours a day for other programming. Use that time for whatever, old shows, news shows, anything, so long as it's different. I mean, they have 75 years worth of material, how about a little variety?

btw, I voted for Vault Disney, but to me it was merely average. It suffered from the same problem as the current schedule: the same things were shown over and over. Every time I turned it on it seemed to be Zorro or the Swamp Fox with Leslie Nielson. Nothing wrong with that, but again, a little variety please. They could do/have done so much more with what they have

True... Very very true! Truthfully, I've always thought they've done that. When I was younger, they'd play the episodes they'd played all week on saturday (remember Flash Fwd? or the Babysitters' Club?) And then on Sunday, they'd play a "new" episode to overplay during the week.

I think Disney Channel is more "Disneyesque" now than it has been in a while. I remember back in the early 90's when they'd show kids shows during the day and shows for the adults (not literally) at night. Anyone remember "The American Teacher Awards?" "Tina Turner in Concert?" "Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken?"

WDWspider

Originally posted by MicBat

I think Disney Channel is more "Disneyesque" now than it has been in a while. I remember back in the early 90's when they'd show kids shows during the day and shows for the adults (not literally) at night. Anyone remember "The American Teacher Awards?" "Tina Turner in Concert?" "Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken?"

I agree with this as well, I think attempts at more family shows has occured the past few years. However I think the channel has became more of a Nickolodeon and concentrates nearly all efforts toward young teens and earlier now too (but in a Disney fashion), just not a Disney all viewers fashion.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Yes, but do compare the level of Disney-esque with Vault Disney to Zoog Disney. Not necessarily specific shows, but in general, the type of audience it has reached out to. I believe right now it's going against its own foundation, only to bring in money. And it won't work in the long run; these shows are shown so very often that they will soon wear down.

I am still very interested to hear from anyone who voted for Zoog Disney why they picked this. I trust anyone who voted for it chose it because of any Disney-esque quality that it significantly holds above the others. NOT because it is your favorite!! I tested this idea out on polls long ago, and people did indeed vote for their favorites. I am trusting no one did this, but to be ensured, I really need to hear responses.

I would much rather hear responses than to see numbers...it makes a WORLD of difference. I mean, if no one explains themseleves, the number is useless!!

Thanks!!! :)

Wilson

Originally posted by MicBat
True... Very very true! Truthfully, I've always thought they've done that. When I was younger, they'd play the episodes they'd played all week on saturday (remember Flash Fwd? or the Babysitters' Club?) And then on Sunday, they'd play a "new" episode to overplay during the week.

I do remember all of those, although my memories are from mostly the mid-late 80's: I remember stuff like Good Morning Mickey, Donald Duck Presents, Mousterpiece Theater, You & Me Kid, Dumbo's Circus, Danger Bay. At night there was the Going Home concert series, A Conversation with...George Burns, Carol Burnett, etc, classic movies. various specials.

Looking at that list, I'd say that the individual shows aren't much more "family friendly" than what we have today. Not many parents would want to sit through Dumbo's Circus, and not many kids would care about a conversation with George Burns. And there is nothing on today that is remotely close to being as utterly inane as a show I used to watch all the time: Kids Incorporated. But, collectively, I think the channel was much more Disney-esque then than now. There really isn't anything on now that would appeal to the over 14 crowd, other than maybe the occasional movie. I mean among "normal" people, not Disney geeks like myself. Back then, there was programming for all ages. Maybe not the same programming for all ages, but still.

I don't think you can compare Vault vs. Zoog with regard to which is more "Disney-esque." Vault is a collection of classic Disney television, how can you get any more "Disney-esque" than that? Zoog has merit, I like Even Stevens myself, and is relatively family friendly, it just doesn't need to be on ALL the time. That's my complaint.

General Grizz

Original Poster
I mean, if you view, say, the Wonderful World of Color it will probably be a much more family-oriented show than, say, Sister-Sister. This type of programming (away from the content that is so unfortunately pressing on most of the other channels) is that good-style entertainment for children and parents of all ages to enjoy.

Testtrack321

Well, the fact is that 'family' style shows just arn't in it for the long run on cabel TV. Look at the Family Channel. I've seen this channel as 'The Family Channel' in two incarnations, the 'Fox Family', the 'ABC Re-run Family'.

The general broadcast forum is the best since most people get this and that its still concidered more family oriented and more moderated by poeple than cabel TV.

The Disney Channel, getting back on topic, should have much for both crowds (and admitadly, I like the Pround Family), including Zoog, Playhouse, and Vault. Admit it, you loved watching all those old shows. My fond memory was when I went to WDW durring the Millennium Celebration. I couldn't fall asleep due to anxt over all the new thngs, so I started watching Vault. I saw all the old ads for TDC, and even saw the special with the Osdmond Brothers and the Haunted Mansion.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Here is an excellent post from our friend, David S.:

Vault Disney programming isn't just for "boomers". I'm not a boomer, I'm technically a "Gen Xer" but my taste is similar to the boomers in many things, including love for Classic Disney movies, music, attractions, etc. Also, as you said, MANY of today's children enjoy classic Disney material. How else does one explain the ongoing popularity of films such as SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS (from 1937)!

The Walt material was indeed designed as something that could be a SHARED experience between people of all age groups and even backgrounds, making it VERY family friendly. Modern entertainment (including much of Disney) is becoming more specialized and fragmented, with everything geared toward a specific "target market" age group. These type of things often have little to no appeal to anyone outside of the "target" age group, making anyone but the "target" age group feel "marginalized"

But Walt always said he was NOT making "kiddie" pictures. He even disliked the "Midget Autopia" at Disneyland because families couldn't SHARE the experience together and eventually got rid of it.

And lastly, great point about the DVD situation. You can't release a few token Vault Disney DVDs to make up for the literally HUNDREDS of hours of vintage material from the Vault which aired on Vault Disney. So the statement that it's OK to cancel the show because "Vault Disney is now on DVD" is, to put it kindly, not very accurate! And even if they keep releasing Vault Disney DVDs, like you said it will take years to release everything and sadly some of the more obscure treasures from the Vault will possibly NEVER see the light of day on DVD.

Again, anyone who voted for ZOOG DISNEY, please give us your reasons!! :D

prberk

I think that Vault Disney, classic B&W Disney sitcoms (like old MMC serials) and specials, along with "live" shows from the parks (like "Inside/Out") were the best. I also liked Walt's personal intros on the old "Disneyland/Color" shows were fun.

I must point out that I liked these classic shows when I was young, and the were reruns even then. This argument that kids will only watch modern-day, sassy material is wrong. I am 36.

I understand and enjoy "Boy Meets World." It was well-written, and so was most of the classic stuff I have mentioned above. That is the key: well-written, well-produced shows that have kids and families in mind.

The older stuff should be kept on the channel, mixed in with new stuff. And the really more serious stuff put on later at night, for diehard Disney fans.

50 airings of any show at the expense of another that would expand your audience and shore up your fan base among the paying adults (i.e., the ones who would bring kids to Disney World, etc.) is "So Weird," not to mention STUPID!

prberk

By the way, though, despite the strong feelings that I put in the above post, I do support new things in the mix. And I would like to hear more from those who like the newer stuff. What do you like and why?

General Grizz

Original Poster
I would still like to hear from the people who voted for Zoog, and also Playhouse. I am not saying you're wrong, I just want to hear why you picked it. Heck, I may as well not count them if I can't hear a reason why they are more Disney-esque as far as Disney theory, not necessarily Disney material (having Disney Characters, etc.).

I watched an episode of Boy Meets World a few times. Except, after about the 3rd episode, I loathed it. A teenage boy was tempted with s*x.

:rolleyes: Oh we're just so much more Disney-esque than ever! Walt Disney would be so proud to see his name on this! And, of course, let's make him collectable pins to get some money, but let's not spend any on his wishes on family-friendly production or Carousel of Progress, the only attraction that he emphasized should stay in his parks forever. He doesn't know it's closed, so let's not put any effort in advertising it - and then guests won't ride it so it is fair game to close!! :sohappy:

*sigh*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom