Rapunzel's tower has arrived.

Patricia Melton

The tower itself is adorable. I'm not sure I like how large it is or how visible it is from other lands. That's a little bit off-putting for me. I hope they block it more with trees or something from other lands.

I think the area is not finished yet and that the final sightlines issues are not really ready to judge yet. We should all wait and see a little longer in terms of what this will look like from other lands. I can't imagine Disney would just put this up without a plan for how it would look from the colonial-themed Liberty Square area.

I need to really think about how it looks from the Haunted Mansion area. Since today is the first day I am seeing this, I don't know how I feel yet. I might have to wait until I see it in person next year.

lazyboy97o

That's going to be one big weenie!
But should it be a weenie? What is the pay off for seeing this landmark and making the journey? I'm not sure signifying the location of restrooms warrants the strong visual language that reaches out across te Fantasyland corridor and possibly into other lands. I think the strong visual language gives the tower a responsibility beyond its aesthetic beauty.

GLaDOS

I think the strong visual language gives the tower a responsibility beyond its aesthetic beauty.

Isn't that basically Fantasylands MO now?

Be Our Guest - E-ticket exterior for a restaurant
Little Mermaid - E-ticket exterior for a mediocre dark ride
Storytime with Belle - E-ticket exterior and some great AAs wasted on a glorified meet and greet

wolf359

i dont wanna drag poor Walt into this, but wasnt one of the original reasons they built disneyland they way they did (i know this is not disneyland, but its essentially the same layout) was because Walt didnt want you to be able to see one land from another? thus, youre in liberty square, you cant see fantasyland? therefore keeping you immersed in the current land, etc?

Short answer: Yes and no. The general idea was to make each land thematically and visually independent, but this level of slavish malcontent at the slightest possible visual intrusion is an internet-age fan creation.

One of the best bits of proof sightlines were "more like...guidelines" back in jolly old Walt's day can be found in the very attraction this tower replaced; the Skyway. Theming be damned, you not only saw every bit of the parks from up there, you saw all of the most ugly and unpleasant parts very clearly.

Maerj

But should it be a weenie? What is the pay off for seeing this landmark and making the journey? I'm not sure signifying the location of restrooms warrants the strong visual language that reaches out across te Fantasyland corridor and possibly into other lands. I think the strong visual language gives the tower a responsibility beyond its aesthetic beauty.

The pay off of this particular weenie lies within the weenie itself, a restroom facility designed for the comfort of Fantasyland guests and visitors. Although it may seem a bit of an underwhelming task for a weenie, especially a weenie this large, bear in mind that when you have to go really bad and can't find a proper facility, a giant weenie may be the best pay off possible.

So when you are there and got to go real bad, you can be assured that all you have to do is look for that gigantic weenie, then you can go.

lazyboy97o

The pay off of this particular weenie lies within the weenie itself, a restroom facility designed for the comfort of Fantasyland guests and visitors. Although it may seem a bit of an underwhelming task for a weenie, especially a weenie this large, bear in mind that when you have to go really bad and can't find a proper facility, a giant weenie may be the best pay off possible.

So when you are there and got to go real bad, you can be assured that all you have to do is look for that gigantic weenie, then you can go.
Most aspects of the parks are designed for comfort. What makes these bathrooms so special that they need to be called out above all others restrooms and other activities in the park? If anything, being too visible would be a detriment to a restroom facility as it means more people will be converging on these facilities. I also question how a tower, in a park where weenies typically denote some sort of experience, is going to be read as being for a restroom and not a more substantial Tangled experience.

Patricia Melton

Most aspects of the parks are designed for comfort. What makes these bathrooms so special that they need to be called out above all others restrooms and other activities in the park? If anything, being too visible would be a detriment to a restroom facility as it means more people will be converging on these facilities. I also question how a tower, in a park where weenies typically denote some sort of experience, is going to be read as being for a restroom and not a more substantial Tangled experience.

You do realize that the general public has no idea what "weenies" are, right?

They will see the tower and be drawn into Fantasyland as they want to get a better look at it...and then they will be drawn through the new path into Fantasyland.

It's not necessarily an attraction that is a "weenie". The biggest weenie of them all is at the end of Main Street and it's not an attraction...but a big castle that draws guests into Fantasyland from that vantage point.

autigger

Tower, nice. Lets not go crazy about how magical it is, though. It's a bathroom, not an attraction.

Patricia, I look forward to hearing if your niece is disappointed because it is just a bathroom. I can hear kids now, "look! Tangled! Lets go on the tangled ride! Lets meet rapunzel!" Sorry, kids, it's a bathroom.

I'll bet CM's in the area have to answer the question, "where's the entrance to the ride?" Many times a day...

My opinion? Nicely done tower, for what it is.
However, if you can see it from liberty square or frontier land, that's not good. Here's hoping for trees.

Surely there will at least be a meet and greet or something?

Patricia Melton

Is there really nothing but bathrooms in this area? It might be hard to expain to kids that there is an eleborate tangled area with no attraction.

Rapunzel will be in the Princess Fairy Tale Hall for her meet and greet.

Her tower in the distance is just a theming element. And the bathroom area are the buildings from her town. It will just be a pretty area where there is a nice traffic flow instead of the congestion that was there before. The restrooms are going to free up space by Peter Pan because the current restrooms there are going to be removed so that a very exciting new queue can be made for Pan...so think of the restrooms as being part of a bigger picture. Everything will make more sense to you when it's all completed and the Pan restrooms are removed and the new interactive queue added there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom