Ralph Breaks the internet... thoughts.. (spoilers may be inside)

ppete1975

Original Poster
So I saw it last night and was honestly disappointed. I loved the first one!! Between it and Wall-e they are my two favorite Disney/Pixar movies. I feel the trailer pretty much told the story, the relationship between vanelope and ralph (outside of the first part of the movie), wasn't as sweet. And the end.. it felt like toystory 3. It felt like they wanted to end the story instead of it just being another chapter. What was so wonderful about the first one, I felt lacked in this one. Id love to hear others opinions. I'm saying 7/10 the first one 10/10

ppete1975

Original Poster
I just didn't like they drifted apart, and sugar rush became what it did. To me the Ralph and vanelope scenes together in the first and second movie were so much better than either apart. I guess I'm just tired of sad movies about life goes on. I wanted everything to end happier

KBLovedDisney

I just didn't like they drifted apart, and sugar rush became what it did. To me the Ralph and vanelope scenes together in the first and second movie were so much better than either apart. I guess I'm just tired of sad movies about life goes on. I wanted everything to end happier
I feel like we are going to get the same thing from Toy Story 4, sadly.

ppete1975

Original Poster
I feel like we are going to get the same thing from Toy Story 4, sadly.
The plot of the next movie of toy story has me a bit concerned (I'm sure it will be funny but its an odd plot)
"The film continues from Toy Story 3, where Sheriff Woody (Tom Hanks) and Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen), among other toys, have found new appreciation after being given by college-bound Andy to toddler Bonnie. However, when they are introduced to Forky (Tony Hale), a spork that has been made into a toy, Woody and Buzz lead him on a road trip to show him what it is like to be a toy"
I can see an agenda being pushed here. If done right, it will be cute and teach you without cramming it down your throat. I think movies and Disney used to do that well (you didn't know you were learning) lately it feels like they have to push views on you.

Magenta Panther

So I saw it last night and was honestly disappointed. I loved the first one!! Between it and Wall-e they are my two favorite Disney/Pixar movies. I feel the trailer pretty much told the story, the relationship between vanelope and ralph (outside of the first part of the movie), wasn't as sweet. And the end.. it felt like toystory 3. It felt like they wanted to end the story instead of it just being another chapter. What was so wonderful about the first one, I felt lacked in this one. Id love to hear others opinions. I'm saying 7/10 the first one 10/10

Movie critics are liking this film better than moviegoers, according to Rotten Tomatoes, FWIW... 87% vs. 77% so far...

Fox&Hound

Gotta say I was sadly disappointed with this one. Thought a lot of the funny parts were seen in the trailer, and my fear going in, that the movie would be a shallow placeholder for jokes and gags but not necessarily a strong narrative, was entirely founded. The princesses saved the movie, and I thought the message was actually good, but I found myself sleeping through parts (all of the racing in the new game, the virus- yawn). Wanted to love it, but it it was just...okay.

PS- I also fear it will not age well....

NateD1226

It was ok. I think I wanted to see more of Felix and Calhoun. Shank was to monotone for me. The princesses were nice touch though. I wasn't having high hopes for this movie. There were some fun parts though. My overall rating is 6.5/10

ppete1975

Original Poster
The princesses were the funniest part but they had released that entire section as a trailer months ago so id already seen it 😢

Bairstow

I was a big fan of Ralph 1, and still prefer it to a lot of Pixar films, but Ralph 2 has about half the smarts and none of the charm that the original has. It had a couple very clever bits, like the Menken song, the Batman segue, and the extended Kong finale, but the core of the film felt very hollow because it didn't expand on the relationship between Ralph and Vannelope in any meaningful way from the first film. If anything, it has to ignore a lot of Ralph's character development in the first film in order to force the character to do what they want him to do in this one. The resolution especially bugged me because not only does offscreen narration wave away one of the central plot points of the first one (characters can't survive outside their games and games can't survive without their characters) but the film didn't have the courage to change the characters at all at the end. The message of the film seems to be that Ralph has to be mature and gracious enough to let his friend grow and change, even if it means growing away from him, and yet the filmmakers weren't willing to alter the physical appearance or age of the Vanellope character to communicate this concept to the audience- presumably because it would make her less marketable for merchandising. Further, instead of having anything at all brave or insightful to say about the cultural and political power of internet media superpowers like Twitter, Google, or Disney itself, the film simply wallows in the warm glow of passive audience name recognition and posits that the internet is mostly good for making derivative viral videos of people flossing. In a lot of ways, Ralph is no better than the Emoji Movie.

Also, the offscreen subplot involving Felix, Calhoun, and the Sugar Rush kids, was both more interesting than the main plot and clearly cut for time.

Animaniac93-98

Why was Buzztube even a thing in a movie that actually uses real brands like ebay, Amazon, Google and Pinterest?

Was saying YouTube out loud off limits, or did they assume they'd never get the rights?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Why was Buzztube even a thing in a movie that actually uses real brands like ebay, Amazon, Google and Pinterest?

Was saying YouTube out loud off limits, or did they assume they'd never get the rights?

They said BuzzTube was a rival of YouTube. I think they went with YouTube so they could have the character of Yesss and plot points that didn't square up with how YouTube works.

I liked the movie.

Movie critics are liking this film better than moviegoers, according to Rotten Tomatoes, FWIW... 87% vs. 77% so far...

That's comparing RT's nearly ineffable 'fresh' (i.e., recommend) score with user's 'like' score.

The average critics' rating from RT and Metacritic is 72. The average user's rating from RT and IMDB is 76. So, closer on that similar scale.

Magenta Panther

The audience score at RT has now dropped to 69%, FWIW.

Friend of mine saw it yesterday and hated it. She said that it was boring and scattershot, and the ending was awful. Also Sarah Silverman's voice is migraine-inducing.

For my part, I'll quote what someone else said on another message board: "I'm gonna rent it!" ;)

ppete1975

Original Poster
The audience score at RT has now dropped to 69%, FWIW.

Friend of mine saw it yesterday and hated it. She said that it was boring and scattershot, and the ending was awful. Also Sarah Silverman's voice is migraine-inducing.

For my part, I'll quote what someone else said on another message board: "I'm gonna rent it!" ;)
You should go see it. Its good i just dont think it compares to the original. But thats a theme it seems. Cars, monsters, in my opinion toy story (i know others will disagree). Honestly if it ended differently id look at it in a better light. Still not as good as original but better.

Fox&Hound

I agree with another poster that said Gal Gadot's character Shank was monotone. I loved her in Wonder Woman but as a voice actress I found her very boring and uninspired.

I wanted to love it but it felt like a direct to DVD sequel that was very unnecessary.

LittleBuford

I thought it was fantastic—smart, funny, emotionally uplifting, and highly relevant to our times. Someone above said it wouldn’t age well, but the core themes are timeless, while the more topical internet-related stuff will become a fascinating (if highly caricatural) document of the era we live in. Even the issue of nasty online comments (and, by extension, cyberbullying) briefly came up, and I think it was dealt with very sensitively. Between this and the original movie, I really can’t pick a favourite.

prberk

Remember, that happened with Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi. Critics loved that it was opening up the Star Wars Universe, untethering it from the Skywalker story. But as time went on, the fans started to hate the way it seemed to callously jettison such a well-crafted narrative -- and I agree. Quite so sure that the same visceral negative from fans will not come for this movie, but I can see their disappointment.

The princesses were the funniest part but they had released that entire section as a trailer months ago so id already seen it 😢

The problem with the princess segment, although cute, was that they did not really represent "the internet" as much as they did "the Disney universe." Yes, they can be found in the internet, but it would have been much funnier and made more sense to use some characters (even made up) that more represented "the internet" -- like, for example, some characters that could have represented some VR character being played by a teenage gamer back home suddenly finding himself with Ralph or Vanelope landing themselves in his "mortal combat" type of scene, or in a game similar to Fortnite. (In either case it could have been a made up game or the real thing -- but for long-term it would probably be best to be made up.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom