Rainy New Years Eve

Michael72688

Original Poster
I know it rain pretty bad on NYE, but on the news they said Disney was still going to so the fireworks, was anyone there? Was it miserable?

surfsupdon

It was awful. My family and I went on Imagination in the evening and it was really sunny, but etremely windy. After the ride, which took all of 10 minutes, including wait, we came outside and it was raining lightly.

IT POURED!! 4.5 inches in Orlando on NYE!!!!

Everyone was soaked and just hiding out in pavilions, which made them sickening. The paths were completely flooded, with inches of water. Ive never seen rain that hard.

We left at 10, went back to Caribbean Beach, and watched Iluumonations from the Aruba busstop, which is directly behind American Adveture, and we could see MGMs and Universals in the distance, NICE!

Mr. Tom Morrow

Yup we were there, at Magic Kingdom. It began raining during the first Spectromagic parade, a light rain. Just as the rain picked up, shortly after Spectromagic, they let of the first Fantasy in the Sky fireworks which were about a half hour early. Speculation was that the approaching storm would blow over by midnight. The second Spectromagic was cancelled due to the storm. We stayed dry by waiting at Casey’s for the rain to stop or slow down. It’s amazing how quickly those yellow ponchos start appearing all over the place! The plan was to make our way to Tomorrowland and take in the indoor attractions, but the rain never stopped. So, we sat and watched the hoards of people exit the park. By the time midnight arrived, it was still raining but there was still a crowd, but we were all on Main Street. The fireworks went off at midnight and we were back at our hotel by 12:45 a.m. This was very strange for us as we had never gotten out of the Magic Kingdom parking lot before 1:00 a.m. ever on NYE. The morning news reported that six inches of rain fell during the night. There was still standing water all over WDW when we left four days later. I thought Disney was able to control everything, including the weather inside WDW? We’ll it could have been worse, we were thinking of buying tickets to the party at Pleasure Island, that would have bit the big one!

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by Michael72688
I know it rain pretty bad on NYE, but on the news they said Disney was still going to so the fireworks, was anyone there? Was it miserable?

I wasn't at Disney on NYE, but I can tell you this much. You think Orlando got alot of rain? You guys should've drove 4 hours southbound to Naples, FL (where I live). I was leaving a friend's house at around 10:30pm because I saw lightning in the distance and heard thunder. So, I bailed out. By the time I got home, it was 11:25pm. The storm was behind me, but no more than 15 mins later, it POURED and it POURED until 2am. When I woke up NYD, I looked at the weather reports online and we got 5.4" of rain in 2 hours! Then, the cool weather started to make residence down here.

Speaking of cool weather --- what do you Floridians think about this crazy winter time weather that will be paying us a short visit this weekend? In Naples -- the high for Friday is going to be 55 degrees. The low? Get this.. 32 degrees (with possible 20s inland). If its going to get down to 32 here, in Orlando they'll probably see 20s with no problems at all. So I recommend bundling up if you're going to go out at night. :)

Parkeit

I was totally there! I was in Orlando staying with a friend (also a good excuse to get to visit WDW), it has become an annual trip to go stay for about 6 days around New Years, this year we also had 4 other people from Tuscaloosa, Atlanta, and Nashville. We decided to go to EPCOT for New Years, and it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!! The rain got rid of what should have been killer waits for all the rides. The only downsides were that the fastpasses kinda melted in your hand, the near flood in line for Honey I Shrunk the Audience, and well, being wet and kinda cold. When it came time for the countdown, no one, I mean NO ONE was there. We were all kinda tired so we snaged a bench inbetween Norway and China, the view of the lake was slightly blocked by a huge tree, but didn't effect the experience. Actually the speaker that was directly infront of us was AWFUL!!!!!! :brick: It didn't work most of the time, and when it did it was really crackling. Also there was this guy standing behind me who kept dumping the water off of his umbrella to the space between my skin and the huge yellow poncho, argh, but nothing could put a damper on my wonderful New Years at WDW. The fireworks were amazing, almost apocalyptic. The awesome part about being at EPCOT was the celeberation of New Years around the world, with each pavillion playing a song from their country accompanied by fireworks, Norway's was the best, with Peer Gynt, although i am like 50% Norweigan so i might be a little biased. So the rain in my opinon was wonderful, it killed the crowds, and made for fun sliding around. Call me crazy, but it was what made my New Years as memorable as it was!!!!!

mickeyfanatics

We were at MK and it started raining about 6:30 and did not stop until after 1 AM. The park really cleared out. We got hit really hard while on Grand Prix Raceway, as soon as we left the station. It was fun though, and the fireworks were neat, even though all of them were not set off. Also, some of the cast members in the Main Street shops were nice enough to open some merchandise like cards for us to play with and take them as a damaged loss.

SewIn2Disney

I was there. It was awful...we ended up jumping on the monorail just to stay dry and ride around. As we passed under the TTC my dad remarked that all of the people waiting for busses looked like lemons in a crate (because of the yellow ponchos and the fact that they were packed into one little square under the bus stop roof)

All of the fireworks went on as planned...we watched from our room in the Polynesian. I couldn't believe the noise...it sounded like we were being bombed. If this is what they do for NYE, I'd love to see it on the 4th of July!

Yay! 100th post!:sohappy:

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by SewIn2Disney
I was there. It was awful...we ended up jumping on the monorail just to stay dry and ride around. As we passed under the TTC my dad remarked that all of the people waiting for busses looked like lemons in a crate (because of the yellow ponchos and the fact that they were packed into one little square under the bus stop roof)

All of the fireworks went on as planned...we watched from our room in the Polynesian. I couldn't believe the noise...it sounded like we were being bombed. If this is what they do for NYE, I'd love to see it on the 4th of July!

Yay! 100th post!:sohappy:

Lets just say that it gets very crowded during the 4th

surfsupdon

We were in EPCOT for the 4th of July fireworks of 2000, the Millenium Celebration year, thinking they would be very good, better than usual, and it was not anything really better that the norm. It was nothing like NYE, and I thought that that was sad, that the fireworks for the 4th were sorta stinky.

mickeycruiseme

It was wet at MGM

We spent the day at MGM on New Years Eve and all was fine and crowded. We had a resevation for scifi dinner at 7:25 and when we came out all hell had broken loose. We got the ponchos on and put on our plastic New Years hats and away we went. We have three kids and luckely it was warm with the rain so we let them jump in the puddles as they had gotten wet anyway. I was told that the park went from 48,000 to less then 8,000 by 8:00. We went on all the rides many times and then at 11:45 the fireworks show started. It lasted for about 25 min to different music. I actually was glad it rained because a bus driver the night before had said it would take hours to get a bus back to a hotel due to the mass of people. We got back to the hotel in 20 min. Attached is a photo from that night.

Attachments

• roll 62 - 9.jpg
    roll 62 - 9.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 90

SewIn2Disney

Re: It was wet at MGM

Originally posted by mickeycruiseme
We spent the day at MGM on New Years Eve and all was fine and crowded. We had a resevation for scifi dinner at 7:25 and when we came out all hell had broken loose. We got the ponchos on and put on our plastic New Years hats and away we went. We have three kids and luckely it was warm with the rain so we let them jump in the puddles as they had gotten wet anyway. I was told that the park went from 48,000 to less then 8,000 by 8:00. We went on all the rides many times and then at 11:45 the fireworks show started. It lasted for about 25 min to different music. I actually was glad it rained because a bus driver the night before had said it would take hours to get a bus back to a hotel due to the mass of people. We got back to the hotel in 20 min. Attached is a photo from that night.

Awwww!:) that picture is priceless.
too cute!

mickeycruiseme

Real troopers

Thanks the kids did a good job holding up on such a rainy day. We had to take off from going to a park on the first of Jan. as they all had fevers and needed to rest.

I guess I am a bad parent for making them stay out in the weather. Shame on me. Hopefully CFS is not reading the boards. lol:hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom