Rainy Days and Water Parks

OneLuckyMom

We leave tomorrow and Faye has thrown a kink in my master schedule.

We have a room only reservation for tomorrow night and Saturday night, following by a package reservation starting for Sunday with free dining. Our park tickets are on the package. We like to hit a water park one day on our trip, so I just was planning on hitting a water park on Saturday and not dishing out for any other park tickets.

But now Faye is refusing to move on. And they are predicting thunderstorms for Saturday. :hammer:

So I have several questions.
1. I believe the water parks stay open on rainy days, provided there is no thunder/lightning. Is this true?
2. If a thunderstorm comes thru, do they actually close the waterparks, or just make everyone stay out of the water?
3. Anyone have any other ideas what I could do with an 8-year-old on a rainy Saturday with no park tickets? So far all I have is Downtown Disney and DisneyQuest, but I know that will lead to me spending WAY too much in the stores, and we really aren't a video-game kind of family so I'm not sure how much fun DisneyQuest would be....We don't mind getting wet, as long as we have cover for thunder/lightning!

We won't have a car, so going offsite isn't the easiest option, but if there is something fun close by, I guess we could grab a cab! (I'm debating the outlets as another option, but again that would mean $$$ the way I shop :ROFLOL:)

DivineMadness7

I'm not sure I would want to pay out of pocket for water park tickets to then have it rain/thunder/storm a few hours after I get there. I'm not sure how the process is for that, but I can't imagine you get your money back. I guess I'd wait to see how the weather looks that morning, but even then there is no guarantee.

DTD/Disney Quest are about your only options, since putt-putt golf is also out during a storm. Another option is to just hang out at the resort. The 8 y/o can go to the arcade for a bit or just hang around the pool there if the weather cooperates. Many trips I've wished to have extra time to spend at the resort, there's a lot to do there! Good luck!

Upvote 0

Lucky

If you have the water-parks-and-more option, you might give DisneyQuest a try. I'm not a video game person either, but I liked some of the virtual-reality games.

Upvote 0

DisneyWhiz

We were at Typhoon Lagoon a few days ago..

1. The park stayed open until a really loud boom of thunder..then everyone was ordered to get out of the water

2. All the attractions were closed..i don't know if it was closed for the whole day, because our family and most other people left as the rain poured down

3. Many people decided to go to DisneyQuest and it's not all video games. There's also attractions like learning to draw a Disney character, making your own song, a bumper car-type attraction, or building your own rollercoaster and riding it.

Have fun!!

Upvote 0

DivineMadness7

If you have the water-parks-and-more option, you might give DisneyQuest a try. I'm not a video game person either, but I liked some of the virtual-reality games.

I'm pretty sure she meant her package reservation doesn't start until Sunday, so no tickets until Sunday.

The only thing about Disney Quest is that if it IS raining...you won't be the only one with the idea to go there. And on the weekend, I would imagine it could be even more filled with local kids.

Upvote 0

tink68

Maybe Downtown Disney to shop, eat and maybe see a movie? Is the theater still there? Visit and explore other resorts and plan your next stay. ;):lol:

Upvote 0

OneLuckyMom

Original Poster
What about checking out other hotels? I think that would be fun and it would be free too!

That would be fun for me, not so much fun for an 8 year old who was expecting to swim to her hearts content that day!

Sounds like I'll stick with the DisneyQuest idea as a backup plan, maybe manage to throw in a ride on the monorail for grins and giggles (we stay at the values so riding the monorail is not a regular thing for us). I still have hopes that it will just be rainy and not thunderstormy (is that a word?) or really windy on Saturday, in which case we'll still go with the waterpark plan. I have no problem getting rained on - after all, it is a water park and you're wet anyway! - I just don't want to be blown off the slides or hit by lightening :eek:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Fay will more than likely be in the panhandle by Saturday so you should be fine. As a general rule of thumb the weather after a hurricane is simply beautiful.

Upvote 0

Epcotrob

Even with Fay still hanging around I dont think I have seen any lightning or heard any thunder. As for the water parks they will make you get out of the water if lightning is close but after it passes they will reopen everything. It usualy takes about a half hour to get all the life guards back to thier posts.

Water parks are the best in rainy weather. :wave:

Upvote 0

OneLuckyMom

Original Poster
Fay will more than likely be in the panhandle by Saturday so you should be fine. As a general rule of thumb the weather after a hurricane is simply beautiful.

Yea, I grew up in Louisianna. Tropical storms don't concern me much. But my mama did teach me never to swim in the ol' bayou when there was lightening :)

Upvote 0

wpxc

I agree with everyone above, the water parks are a good choice if it's just raining. However I know today TL was closed because of Fay, but Fay should (hopefully) disappear in the next few days. Typical summer Florida thunderstorms don't last all day, so even if the attractions do close it usually won't take long for them to reopen.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom