Rain while at Disney World

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
The best part about WDW is that almost every attraction is indoors! and there are ways to maneuver around the rain inside shops like through the main street shops and such.

You're only screwed big time if you're at Epcot in a large open space.. Even with that though, there are attractions/pavilions that can take up a lot of time until rain tones down (Enery: 45 minutes, Innoventions: Mulitiple exhibits to occupy time, The Land: Circle of Life/Living with the Land/Food Court, Nemo: The ride/Turtle Talk/Aquarium, Mission Space: The Ride/Advanced Training Lab (various video games)) You get the idea.. Every Future World pavilion/attraction is either long enough to take up a lot of rain time or has a lot of extra exhibits at the end of the attraction to take up time.

yensid67

The best rule of thumb is to plan on rain everyday for at least an hour! Like other posts have said...go to a store and buy a CHEAP poncho/raincoat. I bought ponchos from a grocery store(better made and heavier quality) and went to a hobby store and bought adhesive decals and 'Disneyfied' the ponchos with our favorite characters...much cheaper than buying just a plain poncho with Walt Disney World printed on it for $20(?) in the parks!

Kate Alan

If it rains...get wet, lol. The last day of my trip this December, it rained all morning while I was in Magic Kingdom (finally stopped around lunchtime). Started light but ended up pretty hard (though not as hard as the sudden summer downpours Florida tends to get). Lots of people fled for either indoor rides or to leave the park entirely, even more just threw on plastic ponchos (or a hoodie in my case), and continued on. Wait times drop significantly for outdoor rides. I rode BTMRR five times in row since the wait time was 5 minutes (in reality, the wait time was simply how long it took you to walk through the queue). Even did Splash Mountain (what's a little more water on top of the rain, lol).

Thunder/Lightning is the real issue because they'll shut down outdoor rides until it passes, even if the storm isn't located directly over the property.

Bottom line - buy a cheap poncho at home before you travel (Disney prices for ponchos are ridiculous) or a lightweight hoodie/raincoat/hat that dries out quickly, and enjoy yourself!

Plowboy

[QUOTE="wish upon a star, post: 7033947, member: 106188" So how do we handle MK if it rains?[/QUOTE]

Ponchos and flip flops. Next.

ChesterKiwi

If it's in the evening and it rains you can pretty much count on walk-ons everywhere you go. The rain gets people leaving earlier than they would have normally but they don't come back.

...I rode who knows how many attractions last year in February when it rained late in MK. Nearly walked on to 7DMT, Space Mountain, and Splash. Maybe a 10 minute wait. It was a busy week too.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Contrary to previous advice, buy a Disney poncho. Cheaper dollar store ponchos tear easily and are pretty much "one and done", not re-usable. The Disney ponchos are made of sturdier stuff and can be re-used. If it does happen to tear, any park or resort store will replace it for you.

I wear cargo pants or shorts in the parks and keep a poncho in the side pocket. Easy access and I'm good to go whenever it rains.

RobOttawa

I had an experience at Disneyland about 10 years ago where we only had one day to visit both parks, and we were "blessed" by a huge downpour of rain all day. Walking in the rain wasn't pleasant, but since it kept all the locals away, we were literally able to walk onto every ride. It was great. We did all major rides in both parks by about 2pm. Then we were able to redo some of our favorites, have a nice long lunch, stroll Downtown Disney for dinner, and the rain cleared up just in time for the fireworks! It was ideal! Don't let it stop you.
The only thing I would have done differently is have some sort of waterproof footwear.

Weather_Lady

^^^^^ This. Many guests will stay away or flee the park. Don't. Just bring a poncho. You'll have better wait times. Focus on the indoor rides. While in the park, the rain may let up and you'll have better wait times for outside rides as well.

Ditto this!

One of my all-time favorite Disney memories is the day when my sister and I (11 and 13) got to spend an afternoon in the MK in heavy, constant, monsoon-like rains which drove most of the guests right out of the park. While a few "exposed" outdoor attractions (e.g., Big Thunder Mountain) shut down, things like Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain were walk-ons. We did Space Mountain four times in a row with not a moment's wait, and rode Haunted Mansion with no other guest anywhere in sight. We didn't even have umbrellas or ponchos -- we just made a run for it in between attractions, and laughed at how drenched we got. It was the closest I'll ever come to having the Magic Kingdom all to myself, and it was totally awesome. Bring on the rain!

danyoung56

I agree with the concept of continuing on in the rain. The only thing I do differently is that I don't do the poncho - I do the umbrella. Disney really air conditions its indoor spaces. Wearing a wet chilly poncho is not good, and you end up taking it off and putting it on multiple times. It's much easier (for me) to just close an umbrella and carry on. Disney sells the little umbrellas too, so you don't have to fight with a full sizer.

Tom

Beta Return
A Disney poncho fits in a cargo shorts pocket? I remember them being bulky.

I like the $1.99 ones because they fit in pockets easily. If its going to be a heavy rain day, I'll carry two. Use one, throw it away when I'm done. Whip out the second if needed later in the day. Worth it to not have to carry a bulky, wet poncho.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom