Rain while at Disney World

wish upon a star

Original Poster
So we are only at MK for 1 day, it's the end of this month which is supposed to be a drier season but this is an El Nino so higher chances of rain.... So how do we handle MK if it rains? What all will it affect as far as rides, parades and fireworks? Thanks for any info!

Flippin'Flounder

So we are only at MK for 1 day, it's the end of this month which is supposed to be a drier season but this is an El Nino so higher chances of rain.... So how do we handle MK if it rains? What all will it affect as far as rides, parades and fireworks? Thanks for any info!
Don't stress out about it. Very few rides close during rain, mostly outdoors ones. The ones that do close only close during very heavy rain. People pack into shops during rain which makes lines shorter. Fireworks could get cancelled though.

Tom

Beta Return

If it's raining hard at parade time, or there is lightning, they won't run it.

They'll run Wishes fireworks in almost any weather, based on my experience. I'm sure there are times they cancel it, like in high winds and maybe in torrential downpours.

Otherwise, get a few of the cheap disposable ponchos at Target or similar store. They come wrapped in a small pouch that fits in a pocket or purse. I think they're less than $2 each. If a heavy rain breaks out, we'll pull one out, put it on, and then just throw it away after the rain has passed. Much easier than trying to lug around a bigger poncho, especially if it's been worn and is soaking wet.

roj2323

didn't you hear Disney controls the weather now. They invented an Anti rain machine years ago!

=)

Other than bringing ponchos and perhaps a change of socks there's not much you need to worry about other than perhaps enjoying the smaller crowds.

Unomas

If any lightning is around they will close some things. When we were there in August, they closed Seven Dwarfs for over an hour. Even after the storm had moved out they waited for the lightning to be at a reasonable distance. Just take your poncho and keep going :) Enjoy your visit!

JohnD

perhaps enjoying the smaller crowds.

^^^^^ This. Many guests will stay away or flee the park. Don't. Just bring a poncho. You'll have better wait times. Focus on the indoor rides. While in the park, the rain may let up and you'll have better wait times for outside rides as well.

jgj123

Don't worry about the fast passes. If they close a ride because of weather (or any reason) causing you to miss your fast pass window, they will allow you back at anytime later that day once the ride reopens.

DisneyFans4Life

If it does happen to rain, it wouldn't be as big an impact as it is in summer because we don't get the lightning storms in January. If it's raining hard enough, the outdoor rides will close for a bit, but that's about it. Parade will probably still go as well as fireworks, but the castle stage show may be postponed or cancelled simply because the dancers can't dance on a wet stage. I've been there when it was a serious downpour and Wishes still went off...Tink just didn't fly down.

DisneyFans4Life

If you happen to be driving around the resort while it rains...be extra careful because Floridians quickly forget how to drive in rain...kind of like how people up north forget how to drive in the snow lol.

POLY LOVER

If you happen to be driving around the resort while it rains...be extra careful because Floridians quickly forget how to drive in rain...kind of like how people up north forget how to drive in the snow lol.

I would clarify that by saying TOURISTS Forget............ Florida roads get slick in rain tourist think you can still drive fast,,, WRONG

Disney4family

I'm surprised the CMs on here haven't corrected the title of this thread. We all know it's not called "rain" when we're at WDW.
It's always "liquid sunshine". :happy:

Last summer we were heading toward Splash and saw the train stopped at the station. We knew something was coming. We were told outdoor attractions will stop if lightning is within 5 miles. The cell never budged for 2 1/2 hours. At least we had a nice, dry bench by the Splash gift shop and restrooms to wait out the storm.

KikoKea

We keep an eye on the clouds and if we see a dark one coming, we head to SM or another indoor ride before it starts to rain and ahead of the crowd. Usually, by the time we get through the ride, the rain has passed. Those little rain ponchos are wonderful to carry- I always feel sorry for the people who didn't bring one and then have to walk around soaking wet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom