Quick AK Update w/photos

djkidkaz

Original Poster
You can see the construction of the Avatar E ticket from the parking lot. The top of the building is reaching above the trees just slightly now.
IMG_0503.JPG

Speaker boxes being installed in front of the Tree of Life, presumably for the show that is supposed to take place with the tree.
IMG_0507.JPG

Construction work finally taking place on the pathway that used to lead to Camp Minnie Mickey.
IMG_0509.JPG

This is across from the new Africa section by FOTLK. It looks like it might of been a water feature back when they had the boat ride around the park. Anyone know for sure? Wonder if they will fix it and bring it back. It looks kinda crummy the way it currently is.
IMG_0512.JPG

They removed the ropes the monkey were able to climb across from the two big towers. Maybe they are just replacing them with new ones?
IMG_0514.JPG

That is all. Everything else at the park was more of the same which you can see in other threads on here.

Rob562

I believe there used to be geysers along that section of the river.

And the construction along the Camp Minnie-Mickey path is more likely connected to the work happening behind Pizzafari (rumored to be for a new Table Service restaurant) than for Avatar.

-Rob

SnarkyMonkey

You mentioned a rumor about a show involving the Tree of Life? Could you say more about that or could someone direct me to a relevant thread? I hadn't heard about this.

Rob562

You mentioned a rumor about a show involving the Tree of Life? Could you say more about that or could someone direct me to a relevant thread? I hadn't heard about this.

I think there's two different things that are being pulled together.

First is the "Rivers of Light" show that's being done on the lake with viewing from Asia and Dinoland. The ToL will serve as a backdrop and concept art shows lighting effects in/on the Tree itself as part of the show.

These (currently) empty boxes are for smaller lights or speakers, not something that would shine on the Tree. There was talk of nighttime live entertainment separate from the Rivers of Light show without it being an actual parade, so it's possible that these will be for that.

-Rob

SnarkyMonkey

Thanks, Rob. I have been following the news about the Rivers of Light water parade but wasn't aware that the ToL would be part of that.

Rob562

Thanks, Rob. I have been following the news about the Rivers of Light water parade but wasn't aware that the ToL would be part of that.

Well, apparently the Tree will be used for both the street entertainment and Rivers of Light. (Hey, if you're going to spend money, might as well get some use out of it)

First is the nighttime street entertainment with concept art seen here (note the glowing glasses on the Guests):
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...ainment-coming-to-disney's-animal-kingdom.htm

The other is the Rivers of Light artwork that if you look closely you can see the Tree with multi-colored lights in the upper right background:
(I don't think this post was its first appearance on the forums, but it was the first I could find that has the artwork)
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ys-animal-kingdom.875251/page-45#post-6467319

-Rob

Next Big Thing

Well, apparently the Tree will be used for both the street entertainment and Rivers of Light. (Hey, if you're going to spend money, might as well get some use out of it)

First is the nighttime street entertainment with concept art seen here (note the glowing glasses on the Guests):
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...ainment-coming-to-disney's-animal-kingdom.htm

The other is the Rivers of Light artwork that if you look closely you can see the Tree with multi-colored lights in the upper right background:
(I don't think this post was its first appearance on the forums, but it was the first I could find that has the artwork)
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ys-animal-kingdom.875251/page-45#post-6467319

-Rob
From what i've heard, the leaves on the tree are planned to be individually changed out to have LED color changing lights installed in them to create the effect seen in the concept art.

dstrawn9889

From what i've heard, the leaves on the tree are planned to be individually changed out to have LED color changing lights installed in them to create the effect seen in the concept art.
yeah, lets add another 50 tons of wire and screens to the tree that already has branches falling off, i doubt that is in the works

JasonDeyoung

Cool pics, I look forward to seeing the progress of the AK over the coming months/years. I actually am looking forward to the River Light show I think it'll be interesting. As for Avatar, I'll wait till its done and make a judgement :)

Last edited:

Jake Wilson

Does anyone else feel like the guest in the concept art aren't wearing glasses but more like they are wearing a glow acting face paint? Clearly the entertainers are wearing some sort of sun-glasses, yet I feel the guest are covered with face paint that may be activated by glow lights?

flyerjab

Does anyone else feel like the guest in the concept art aren't wearing glasses but more like they are wearing a glow acting face paint? Clearly the entertainers are wearing some sort of sun-glasses, yet I feel the guest are covered with face paint that may be activated by glow lights?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if face painting in the Avatar expansion section will include blue face paint that glows at night to go along with the bioluminescence of the forest elements.

twebber55

It wouldn't surprise me at all if face painting in the Avatar expansion section will include blue face paint that glows at night to go along with the bioluminescence of the forest elements.
i never really noticed that before in this concept art...but i would agree with you...there is a reason its there

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Here is the gyser someone spoke to

image.jpg

This is across from the new Africa section by FOTLK. It looks like it might of been a water feature back when they had the boat ride around the park. Anyone know for sure? Wonder if they will fix it and bring it back. It looks kinda crummy the way it currently is.
View attachment 80363

They removed the ropes the monkey were able to climb across from the two big towers. Maybe they are just replacing them with new ones?
[

Great update thanks. I believe that was Dragon Rocks. It is a little hard to tell with all the overgrown landscape for over a decade of neglect. As the river boat pulled up the dragon in the cave area would shoot fire towards the boat multiple times.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom