Quick 8/17/06 Epcot Park Update

OmegaKnight

Original Poster
So I went to Epcot for about half of the day today and here are some new things that I noticed:

• Test Track's photo section is currently MIA as they work to install a new updated imaging system. No word on when the pictures will be back up
  • There were CM's by Spaceship Earth trying to get people to sign up for the new Kim Possible Adventure Hunt thing. The kids definitely seemed more interested in doing it than the adults were.
  • Mission: SPACE Orange Side got up to a 70 minute wait at one point in the day. The green side didn't get higher than 10 minutes though.
  • The merchandise stand outside of Soarin' moved to the wall right next to the restrooms in the Soarin' lobby
Nothing too out of the ordinary other than these above things. Park was decently crowded today with FastPasses for both Soarin' and Test Track running out at around 2:30 or so in the afternoon.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Well, as for M:S they just recently started the new park maps and stopped the little inserts telling guests about the "new mission" with green, so maybe they figure the word is out enough since there is a 10min wait, but the general public really hasn't caught on.

On what i would consider a normal "busy" green/orange split day there's usually a 30/90 wait.

New2WDW

Well, as for M:S they just recently started the new park maps and stopped the little inserts telling guests about the "new mission" with green, so maybe they figure the word is out enough since there is a 10min wait, but the general public really hasn't caught on.

On what i would consider a normal "busy" green/orange split day there's usually a 30/90 wait.

Hey MouseMerf - could you do me a favor and explain the difference between the two colors to one who has never rode M:S?

kcnole

The orange side is the original incarnation of Mission Space. It is basically a centrifuge which spins around up to around 3 G's and moves back and forth to make you feel as if you're truly blasting off, weightless, etc...

The Green side is for people like me, those who will get very very sick on rides like this. The green side does not spin but it does pitch back and forth and up and down to simulate blasting off, etc... I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but from what I understand it's very good as well and much much less on the puke factor.

Frank Stallone

So I went to Epcot for about half of the day today and here are some new things that I noticed:

[*]There were CM's by Spaceship Earth trying to get people to sign up for the new Kim Possible Adventure Hunt thing. The kids definitely seemed more interested in doing it than the adults were.

Well, they didn't exactly market Kidcot or Turtle Talk to the elderly, either.:brick:

socalkdg

If thats the case, why don't they go with three orange and 1 green centrifuges instead of the 2-2 split?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
If thats the case, why don't they go with three orange and 1 green centrifuges instead of the 2-2 split?

I'm betting they can't configure the queue to fit longer waits for both sides. As it stands, they can comfortably have a 30min wait for each side inside building doing switchbacks. Beyond 30mins, Green starts going out into the plaza, really having nowhere to go. Orange has the full extended queue to use.

LilRoo714

Hey OmegaKnight - did you notice many kids within the park playing the Kim Possible game? I'm wondering if the deposit is too daunting! :eek:

mufasa

I've been on the original M:S many times and while I handle it pretty OK (I'm 46) I'm always just slightly disoriented afterwards.

We were just there in July and I went on the M:S green side with my wife and 2 girls. Strangely, I felt a little disoriented afterwards that as well. I then did the orange immediately afterwards for comparison (by myself) ;) but the main differences were just that you get a bit of double vision and of course the sustained G's are pretty intense.

Actually I was really surprised how good the green side was! :D Much better than I expected (and I wasn't worried about the family following along).

Epcot82Guy

I've been on the original M:S many times and while I handle it pretty OK (I'm 46) I'm always just slightly disoriented afterwards.

We were just there in July and I went on the M:S green side with my wife and 2 girls. Strangely, I felt a little disoriented afterwards that as well. I then did the orange immediately afterwards for comparison (by myself) ;) but the main differences were just that you get a bit of double vision and of course the sustained G's are pretty intense.

Actually I was really surprised how good the green side was! :D Much better than I expected (and I wasn't worried about the family following along).

Yeah. Green was a really good ride for what it was. I hadn't done Orange, so I did Green for my first M:S mission. If you do green then orange immediately, I really didn't notice that much more intensity. However, after you take a reprieve and do orange, the intensity comes back. You do get disoriented walking through that exit hallway.

PhilosophyMagic

I'm betting they can't configure the queue to fit longer waits for both sides. As it stands, they can comfortably have a 30min wait for each side inside building doing switchbacks. Beyond 30mins, Green starts going out into the plaza, really having nowhere to go. Orange has the full extended queue to use.

They actually can move the chains around in the indoor queue to use it all for green if they need to. However, they are never supposed to have a longer wait registered for green, so that no one who would otherwise choose green chooses orange just because of a shorter wait. That said, in "phase 2" of the redesign, two of the centrifuges will be able to switch between green and orange profiles, so that three can run on ornage when the line is REALLY long.

Now, the line for ornage fluctuates dramatically throughout the day. Starting at about 11am it begins to build and can reach about 70 to 120 minutes at times between 11am and 3pm. When the orange line is very long, more people choose green, making the green line get up to 30 minutes, and sometimes longer. But in the morning, and after 6pm every day, the lines for both are EMPTY. So really, if you want to ride ornage, and the line is long at all, just come back in the evening and it'll be gone. Until people start to figure this out.

wdwishes2005

Hey MouseMerf - could you do me a favor and explain the difference between the two colors to one who has never rode M:S?
Orange spins, and Green kills my single rider line. I say GREEN is the real killer here.... Actually, the only difference is green tilts more but doesnt spin, and orange spins....

dxwwf3

and Green kills my single rider line.

Yeah that's the only thing that sucked about the most recent change.

I think the Green version is a fantastic addition to the park and is tame enough for most people to enjoy, but also wild enough to be considered a thrill ride..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom