Questions on Free Dining???

LuisT

I was looking around the forums, and didn't really see a whole lot of stuff on the " Free Dining " subject.

I was wondering..

- How do we know when it starts or when this promotion ends?
- Is this ACTUALLY free, because for some reason my mom doesn't believe it is?
- Do we have to pay for tips or is it FREE FOOD and FREE SERVICE?
- When was the last time they had free dining
- How can you get free dining?

Edit: I had a question about the Disney Dining Plan as well..

- Since my family is a pretty big family meaning we eat A LOT. Does the Disney Dining plan include a lot of food to fill up a big family or is it not worth it?

Thats basically it!

Thanks!

- Luis

ImaYoyo

See answers to your questions in your quote in red
I was looking around the forums, and didn't really see a whole lot of stuff on the " Free Dining " subject.

I was wondering..

- How do we know when it starts or when this promotion ends? Keep checking back or book through someone like Kindgom Konsultants who can change it if it's announced.
- Is this ACTUALLY free, because for some reason my mom doesn't believe it is? You have to buy a package (rooms and tickets), but yes, it's "free"
- Do we have to pay for tips or is it FREE FOOD and FREE SERVICE? Gratuity not included
- When was the last time they had free dining August/September 2007
- How can you get free dining? Ask for it

- Since my family is a pretty big family meaning we eat A LOT. Does the Disney Dining plan include a lot of food to fill up a big family or is it not worth it?

Thats basically it!

Thanks!

- Luis
If your family is the type of family that will eat a quick-service meal (entree, side dish, dessert, beverage), a snack (popcorn, soda, ect), and a table service meal (entree, dessert, beverage) for each person, each day, then yes, you will probably come out ahead using the dining plan. If you're not going to use each of these items for each person, then no, skip the dining plan.

Upvote 0

LuisT

Original Poster
See answers to your questions in your quote in red
If your family is the type of family that will eat a quick-service meal (entree, side dish, dessert, beverage), a snack (popcorn, soda, ect), and a table service meal (entree, dessert, beverage) for each person, each day, then yes, you will probably come out ahead using the dining plan. If you're not going to use each of these items for each person, then no, skip the dining plan.

We'll probably use most of it.. But the thing is.. Are the portions small or big? I know it depends on the restaurants, but we never really eat on disney property..

- Luis

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

Luis,
I can help with a few of your Q's:
Free dining is usually in August and Sept. The promotion booking time is somewhere between April and May. The last 3 years Disney had done free dining. Last year the guest who were staying in Setp were offered a free dining bounce back if they re-booked before check-out. I don't know if that means free dining will be offered or not, some one else here may have a better clue.
Yes it is free. You have to book a 3 night stay at a WDW hotel and I think you have to have at least a one day Magic Your Way ticket. The Disney Dining Plan is added to your package for free. If you have any Q's on what is inculdedon the DDP then try a search on it, I cannot begin to answer a lot of thoose Q's for sure. I do know that the plan DOES not inculde tipping this year. The plan inculds one snack, one counter service and one table service. You have one of each credit for each night you stay. You can use 3 table service credits in one day or 3 snack credits in one day or any combonation of the three. The table service inculdes non-alocholic drink, entree, and dessert. Any drinks, appatizers, and tip will be on seprate bills. I know there are people here who know the recipe issue much better than me too.
You can get the free dining by call WDW with a code which I am sure will be posted here or by a travel agent. I love Kingdom Konsultants who are on the this board. If your Mom is booking that she should at least give them a call, they rock and handle my trips.

As for the DDP filling up a large family, that is up to you. The plan has undergone some changes this year one was no tip inculded and another was the apptizer was dropped from TS credits. The snack credit is for a snack up to $4.00. The counter service is typically a "meal" at a walk up restruant. A burger, fries and dessert with your drink. The table service is an entree, side and dessert. I still think it is enough food, but a couple extra bucks budgeted for food would probally not hurt if you all eat a lot. My brothers through thier teenage years would have been hungry if they go all food all day so you know your family better than we do.
If you can travel during Aug or Sept than Free Food can't hurt. JMHO.
My kids are little and only in preschool so we can travel then with no problem and free dining is an incentive for us to keep coming back. We enjoy eating in places we would not have before due to cost. If your family does book I would get your dining res. 180 day in advanced so you can eat where you want and sit together due to your party size.
I hope I helped!:wave:

ETA: Some of the portions are huge and some not so much. I DH ordered the venison at Askahaus in Norway and it was not very large but the rest of the meal, salad bar was filling so it was no big deal. Everywhere else we ate, the portions were large and I usually had some left, that DH or the kids finished. I also didn't usually finish my CS meals, again DH and the kids helped out there too!

Upvote 0

aj_steig

I was wondering..

- How do we know when it starts or when this promotion ends?
- Is this ACTUALLY free, because for some reason my mom doesn't believe it is?
- Do we have to pay for tips or is it FREE FOOD and FREE SERVICE?
- When was the last time they had free dining
- How can you get free dining?

Thats basically it!

Thanks!

- Luis

Hi Luis!

The "free dining plan" add on is a promotion that has been offered over the past years during the months of August and September. As of this time, there is no information about whether it will be offered this year (as always, there is no guarantee) but I am remaining optimistic and crossing my fingers!!:)

Are you aware of what the dining plan is? The dining plan is an add on to a WDW vacation package which includes one snack, one counter service meal, and one sit-down meal per day (appetizer and gratuity are no longer included in the plan). If I am not mistaken, it is $37.99 per day. In order to get the dining plan, you have to book a WDW package with room and tickets.

Again, there are no guarantees that the free dining plan will be offered this year, but what I mentioned above is how it has worked over the past couple years. If it is offered, it would most likely be in August or September like it has been in the past.

Hope this helps!!:wave:

Upvote 0

ImaYoyo

We'll probably use most of it.. But the thing is.. Are the portions small or big? I know it depends on the restaurants, but we never really eat on disney property..

- Luis
Exactly what you said, it varies by restaurant. Each restaurant is run by it's individual area chef as if it was his or her own, which means portion sizes will vary GREATLY. For instance, at the Maya Grill, the mixed grill includes an 8 oz filet mignon, a 6 oz mahi-mahi filet, and a 1/2 rack of ribs. VERY generous portions. However shutters at the Caribbean Beach Resort has been known to skimp on portion sizes.

In general, you will find most restaurants offer generous sizes, but there are those that skimp a bit.

Upvote 0

LuisT

Original Poster
I appreciate everyones post! And now I am defiantely thinking about going to WDW during August-September. *Hopefully* :ROFLOL:They will offer free dining which can save us some good $$, since were a family of 5. Thanks so much to everyone!

:)

- Luis

Upvote 0

aj_steig

I appreciate everyones post! And now I am defiantely thinking about going to WDW during August-September. *Hopefully* :ROFLOL:They will offer free dining which can save us some good $$, since were a family of 5. Thanks so much to everyone!

:)

- Luis

Glad to help! If you're seriously considering going in the fall, September is an awesome time to go. We went in September 2007 for our honeymoon and had the time of our lives! The crowds were light, the weather was great (very warm on some days). We just missed free dining by two days last year (we got married on September 22nd and the promotion ended that day) so we're crossing our fingers for free dining this year! Keep checking this site often (especially in late March, early April). If free dining is offered, someone here should know about it!:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom