Questions for Disney Moms and Dads

mrtoad

Original Poster
We are two weeks away from taking my 3 year old her first ever WDW vacation. Well, if you count while she was in the womb, then her second trip, but we won't count that one.

I have been to WDW 20 times if my counting is correct, so I am not a newbie by any stretch. But this is my first trip with a child of my own. I just wanted to hear what other parents have to say.

On taking your child for the first time, what was the best part? The look in their eyes when they saw Mickey? The smile after riding Dumbo? I know all answers will be different, I just wanted to hear about it.

Thanks,
Mike

NashvilleMouse

I am not a daddy yet, but there is a story my parents feel "obligated" to tell me every time we go to or talk about Disney. So, from the advice from my parents:

When I was 4 or 5 my parents took me to WDW. Silly them bought me new sandles and kept them new until the WDW trip. Therefore the morning of MK I put on my brand new sandles for my first trip to WDW...

...BAD IDEA... I had blisters before I made it to Frontier Land. So, Dad got to carry me on his shoulders the entire time at MK. So, my parents were burdened with my weight and screams of discomfort. ...and they let me know about it often. :brick:

Other than that, we had a great trip. One that I (or them) will never forget.

mrtoad

Original Poster
Originally posted by NashvilleMouse
I am not a daddy yet, but there is a story my parents feel "obligated" to tell me every time we go to or talk about Disney. So, from the advice from my parents:

When I was 4 or 5 my parents took me to WDW. Silly them bought me new sandles and kept them new until the WDW trip. Therefore the morning of MK I put on my brand new sandles for my first trip to WDW...

...BAD IDEA... I had blisters before I made it to Frontier Land. So, Dad got to carry me on his shoulders the entire time at MK. So, my parents were burdened with my weight and screams of discomfort. ...and they let me know about it often. :brick:

Other than that, we had a great trip. One that I (or them) will never forget.

Yeah, we planned for that. We bought my daughter 2 new pairs of sneakers about a week ago. She is alternating them every other day until we go.

Your story makes me think of something from when I was little going with my family. I remember by days end we would be just dragging and I remember walking holding my dad's hand and him saying "don't hang on me" because rather than just hold his hand I would "hang" for support for my aching feet.

Jonathan

We went this past September with our then 2-year old daughter. We parents have been to WDW and Disneyland countless times, to the point where we just like being in the parks, without going on any rides. But the best part about being there with our daughter was experiencing the magic through a child's eyes. It's amazing how much we realized we had taken for granted for so long, and suddenly we felt like kids again ourselves, getting excited about everything from Mickey balloons to getting squirted by water unexpectedly.

We took video while we were there, and our daughter has watched the video dozens of times since then. I know she will remember our trip for a long time, and when we go back next September I know she will remember her favorites: "Pooh's house," Buzz Lightyear, and seeing all of the characters come to life in front of her. When we ask her to smile for a picture, she poses like Minnie Mouse does on the castle stage after the meet and greet.

You're not going to believe how much fun you're going to have!

The Mom

Premium Member
The most important thing to remember is that it's your child's trip from now until about age 10 or so. If you push to see everything, you'll regret it. It's terrible to see parents screaming at their children about "wasting all this money" when they don't want to rush from attraction to attraction. Some of my best trips were days when we only went on a couple of favorites, then spent the rest of the time exploring.

Let your child's mood/energy level determine things. If he's whiney, it usually means that he's hungry/thirsty/or just plain tired. Don't forget that it's possible that he's had too much of a good thing, and needs a break from the parks! If you're staying close by, a trip back to the hotel for a swim or lie down is a great idea.

I know it's hard to believe now, but you WILL have a chance to visit WDW without children again, or with children who are capable of seeing everything with you.

wdwhoneymooner

We've taken our 3 yo to WDW 4 times already and we absolutely love watching his expressions as he takes everything in! Many times, we'll just watch him instead of the shows / fireworks / attractions because we get such a big kick out of it.

As the ever-wise Mom already stated, be aware of your child's schedule and energy levels. Take breaks or naps as needed and be sure to slow down to enjoy it all. Keep reminding your child to take sips of liquids to keep hydrated and be sure to take "potty" breaks.

The best part about our last trip was that we made it a point to record his favorites on video so that he can watch them as often as he wants. He even initiates conversations with us by saying, "Remember when we did this at Disney World?"

SlideOperatorCP

I'm not a parent but I used to work at Tyke's Peak at Blizzard Beach (still doesn't quailfy me, I know!)

But don't force them to do ANYTHING.... no matter if you know he/she will "love" it..... I can't even tell you how many parent take their babies and leave them at the top of the water slide and tell them "okay, you'll like it this time if you keep your eyes open" .... and the kid is SCREAMING at the top of their lungs! (making all the other kids scared too!) I know so many people my age and even older who STILL have bad memories of WDW cause thier parents forced them on rides!

that's it, I'll keep my childless mouth shut now :zipit: :)

MouseMadness

If it were me, I'd get a small, collapsable stroller to take along. Much more convenient and cheaper than getting one in the parks, and her little legs will thank you. IMO, 3 is too little to have to do that much walking! Take it easy, let her rest/nap when she's accustomed to. Toddlers are the same in WDW as they are everywhere else... schedules are your friend! :wave:

We will probably pass at some point... we leave the 29th! Look for the obnoxiously large group with a small herd of little girls. :lol:

JBSLJames

That's a pretty good point. This may surprise some of you, but I am going to WDW for my kids. At this point in my life, I would not be doing WDW if I did not have two young ones. This trip is for them and will revolve around what they want (and don't want) to do. I may feel more pressured to 'do everything' if we were only staying for a day or two, but the trip will be a total of 5 days.

It is my assumption that at WDW KIDS RULE, although I am sure I will have a blast as well. Part of that blast will be the smiles on my kids faces.

NashvilleMouse

Crap! This posting has set my "parent clock" up a couple of notches! :lol: My wife and I are planning on "family building" later this year after our house is finished being built.

Let me ask y'all this: What would be a good age to take a child the first time to where they comprehend what is going on and enjoy a large mouse, rather than be scared of it? Of course our children will grow up with Disney stuff (books, toys, and the like) so they will know who the big mouse is.

I am very excited to see the looks in their eyes and their expressions. I just hope I don't get too carried away wanting to show them everything. You all are right, it has to be taken at a very child-conservative pace.

DisneyPhD

There has been some good advice on this board (stroller, shoes, take breaks, don't worry about doing it all.) Our DD loves WDW and she always has the most fun at the pool and play grounds. We spent a great deal of the trip at both places. Each park has a place (or 2 or 3) for kids to fun and play, don't miss them.

BB is great for small kids, Tikes Pike is a water wonderland for todlers, with small slides just pefect for 2 and 3 year olds, and ones that grown ups can ride with the pre-schooler.

In Aug 2003 it was our DD 3rd trip to WDW. For the 1st half of the trip it was just us (Mom, Dad and DD) for the second half our BIL and SIL joined us. We noticed DD wasn't having as much fun all the time and her moods were a little more difficult. It was because when it was just she called all the shots. When other peoples needs and wants came into play it was more difficult.

Make sure you do what feels right for the mood and time, take it easy, wear lots of sun screen, do some nice sit down meals where you all can relax. Take lots of pictures and video. We liked getting an autograph book, a light spinner for night, and pins. These all keep her busy and broke the ice.

My last trip report had two 2 and 1/2 year olds (almost 3 really) read it if you like. (oh and even in 5 days you can't see and do it all, heck a week and half and there is still more to do, or do again!)

While MK is great, don't only stay there, hit at least every park for half a day.

JBSLJames

Having not taken the kids yet, we waited until our youngest would fully appreciate the experience. We have the luxury of being Gold Pass holders at Paramounts Kings Island, and have used our trips there as a barometer. Our youngest is now tall enough to ride most of the rides, old enough not to be frightened by the 'characters', old enough to walk (no strollers :) ), and both are still young enough to qualify for the child cost.

Gucci65

The first time I took my dh to WDW she was 20 months old. She had a pacifier we could not get rid of. Two months prior to going she started saying she would give it to Mickey. I didn't see this happening because (1) she only wanted this pacifier when she went to bed at NIGHT (2) she was scared to death of Barney (who was huge at the time). We went to Mickey's toontown and she gave him the pacifier and told him not to drop it. I cried - I think it was a combination of her not being scared/giving away her pacifier/her complete fascination with everything. (Give me sec - I gotta grab a tissue).

My whole point of telling you that story is because it seemed to me that the characters that we met / or seen in the parade paid more attention to her then than they did as she became older. Oh what memories............

But I would say rent a stroller, then you don't have to carry yours back on the bus. Have a great time!!!:sohappy:

JBSLJames

Originally posted by Gucci65
The first time I took my dh to WDW she was 20 months old. She had a pacifier we could not get rid of. Two months prior to going she started saying she would give it to Mickey. I didn't see this happening because (1) she only wanted this pacifier when she went to bed at NIGHT (2) she was scared to death of Barney (who was huge at the time). We went to Mickey's toontown and she gave him the pacifier and told him not to drop it. I cried - I think it was a combination of her not being scared/giving away her pacifier/her complete fascination with everything. (Give me sec - I gotta grab a tissue).

My whole point of telling you that story is because it seemed to me that the characters that we met / or seen in the parade paid more attention to her then than they did as she became older. Oh what memories............

But I would say rent a stroller, then you don't have to carry yours back on the bus. Have a great time!!!:sohappy:

I should probably explain the walking thing a little better. At PKI I still take a pull wagon for the kids when we go for the entire day. My youngest will be 6 by the time we go to WDW, so I do not plan on bringing or renting a stroller. I just hope daddy's shoulders hold up for the week. By and large, I would say that parents know what their kids will respond to. Base your travel on how you think they will do.

DisneyPhD

Oh what a cute story. When ever we go DD seems to hold on tighter to her passie. (she needs the extra secturity when traveling.) Her friend who went with us did the same, we were making true strides weeks pior to the trip. I was hopeing to give it up on this trip, but there is not way that was happening. Now if I can just get her to give it up before the 2nd baby comes! (or she will steal it out of his/her mouth!)

DD also tended to get real quiet and take everything in on earlier trips. We expected more reaction, but then when we got back to the room she would talk all about it. By this past trip (her 4th, when she isn't 3 yet) she was really into everything and ready for everything. She knew what to expect, and even told us where to go, it was pretty funny. She also told her friend not to be scared. It was too cute!

NashvilleMouse

That is so sweet! Does anyone have a child here I can borrow for our April trip? This stuff is too precious! Hey, maybe they will let me "borrow" a child from the Lost and Found booth? :lol:

Well, when I took my family for the first time it was me, my wife, and my daughter which was 5 at the time. Neither of them had ever been there before so I got to witness not only the wow and amazement from a 5 yr old but from my wife as well. My fondest memory was the first day, we came out of the train station about to head up Main Street and the look in both their eyes, well lets just say I still get a tear in my eye occasionally thinking about the sheer happiness and awe in their eyes. That was in 2000. We went back faithfully in 2001,2002, and 2003. But last year will be the last year for us for a while cause last May my son was born. I want to wait until he's 5 like my daughter was so he'll be old enough to remember things, and not be afraid. And also, I highly suggest renting the strollers while at the parks. The kids won't be in it all day, but it does give you a place to put your backpack or bags while they are walking aka making your trip easier. Plus they are extremely easy to push, almost like not pushing anything. And I agree with the others, take your time. Trust me, kids find the small things as interesting as the big things. Rushing only leads to everyone being tired way early in the day including the adults. So just take your time, soak it all in, and enjoy this time with your kids. It's quality time that only comes once.

Raven66

We had debated for a couple of years on when to take our daughter for the first time. We finally took her when she was 5. We stayed on site, and as we drove up to the front of Magic Kingdom in the bus, the look on her face was priceless and of course I started to cry. The very first character she saw was Captain Hook. I thought for sure she would run screaming, but she threw her arms around him and hugged him. Of course once again I cried. I know she will always remember, because I took 13 rolls of pictures. My husband and I will always remember because of her face at each character encounter and ride she saw. We went to Chef Mickey's for the breakfast and when she saw Chip and Dale she ran to them and just hugged and hugged. Even the people around us were weepy. There was a lady that wanted to know how I got her to hug them. Her boy wouldn't even go near the characters. We just told our little one that they were bigger then they are on TV. We are planning our next trip which will be in May 2004. We can't wait.

My advice..............take lots of pictures. Even if they are little, you will always have the pictures. We still look at ours, esp. now with us getting ready to go again. Have fun!! That first smile is the best.

westie

My advice as a male is to bring a lot of tissue. Not for them but, you. The expressions and joy my daughter showed and still shows can make even the strongest of men well up. Just thinking about it does it too...

<---LOOK, little souvenir

The type of stroller I was suggesting taking was just the small $15 version that folds up to a few feet long and is easily fit in one hand. :) We took one one year, and it was so nice not having to wait in lines to get one, and shell out that money you'll never see again. But whatever you feel would be most convenient for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom