Questions about World of Color

TuffyCatt

Original Poster
Hey all!

My family and I are going to be making our way to Disneyland Resort for the very first time July 21-27. We're WDW veterans, and very excited about checking out the west coast. Our trip has been a little up in the air, but we're going for sure now, so I've gone into crazy planning mode. As I wait for my guidebooks to be shipped from Amazon, I've been avidly reading the forums picking up info about fireworks, Fantasmic, and the best ways to tackle RSR! :)

One topic I couldn't find a recent post about was information about World of Color. I'm really, really excited about seeing this show, since it sounds like it's amazing and WDW doesn't have any kind of equivalent. Therefore, any information about how the viewing space works, the best places to watch the show, and how early we should plan on staking out a spot would be much appreciated. I know that Fantasmic sometimes does two shows a night...is this the case with World of Color as well, or is there only one show?

Thank you all so much for your help! Any other tidbits you want to share with a newbie would also be appreciated. I can't wait to share our experience with y'all!

Californian Elitist

First, I want to say I'm happy you are officially going.:) That's great news!

There are two shows. The first show is usually always more crowded than the second, so I'd recommend seeing the second showing. Right after the first showing ends, I'd recommend going straight there to grab a spot towards the front (best spot). You might get a little wet.

Check out this link for more info;):

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2542717

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Get to DCA at rope-drop at get fast passes for WoC - that's what we did and we got fantastic spots. Also, once you have fastpasses - make sure you line up in your correct 'zone' for WoC about 1 hour before it starts to get even better spots.

WoC is amazing and made my whole trip to DL that much more worth it!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Another option is to do a preferred seating dining package. It gives you access to a reserved section, like FP does. Like the Fantasmic Dining at WDW, these packages are "free", but require you to place an ADR at one of the participating restaurants and order the required amount of food.

The Winery and Carthay Circle participate.

The package requires that every participant order an entree and an appetizer or an entree or dessert.

TuffyCatt

Original Poster
Another option is to do a preferred seating dining package. It gives you access to a reserved section, like FP does. Like the Fantasmic Dining at WDW, these packages are "free", but require you to place an ADR at one of the participating restaurants and order the required amount of food.

The package requires that every participant order an entree and an appetizer or an entree or dessert.

Oooh, we have reservations that Friday evening for dinner at Carthay Circle anyway! I wonder how easy it would be to make it a World of Color dining package...

Are the reserved spots with the dining packages pretty good? Comparable to the spots you would get with FP?

Thanks everyone for all the input so far! :D

tare

Aerials grotto is the best for food package for woc

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Oooh, we have reservations that Friday evening for dinner at Carthay Circle anyway! I wonder how easy it would be to make it a World of Color dining package...

Are the reserved spots with the dining packages pretty good? Comparable to the spots you would get with FP?

Thanks everyone for all the input so far! :D

Just give them a call.

From the DLC website:

"When you purchase an entrée and either an appetizer or a dessert, you are eligible to receive a ticket granting you access to a Reserved Center Stage Viewing Area for the World of Color nighttime water spectacular.
Guests dining before 7:00 p.m. receive access to the first World of Color show of the night. Guests dining between 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. receive access to the second World of Color show of the night."

007mickey

We just got back and found out that at Carthay (at least for lunch) they provided a WOC pre-set 3 course menu that allowed for a choice of a salad or soup, about 4 entrees and choice of 2 desserts. We were a little disappointed we couldn't choose from the full menu. It was good but I think could have been better. The WOC passes were nice though and we showed up about 30 min before the show and had good spots. Also, I believe I remember we were given a choice between 1st show or 2nd show passes.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We just got back and found out that at Carthay (at least for lunch) they provided a WOC pre-set 3 course menu that allowed for a choice of a salad or soup, about 4 entrees and choice of 2 desserts. We were a little disappointed we couldn't choose from the full menu. It was good but I think could have been better. The WOC passes were nice though and we showed up about 30 min before the show and had good spots. Also, I believe I remember we were given a choice between 1st show or 2nd show passes.

Odd, their website is in direct contradiction.

Oh...wait...that's not odd... :p

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yeah, I was unpleasantly surprised. I had researched and read the same thing, was banking on the full menu and choosing an app or dessert. It was a little bit of a bummer.

I had planned to do it on my last trip but had to leave early, so I didn't have a chance to experience it.

Very interesting.

TuffyCatt

Original Poster
I've been looking into the new price fixed menu WOC package for Carthay Circle. Found what the menu includes over at Touring Plans:
http://touringplans.com/disney-cali...taurant/menus/world-of-color-prix-fixe-dinner

A pretty nice menu, but doesn't seem to have the biscuits or the majority of the good appetizers we'd heard so much about, which is a bummer. It's a shame since we were going to do a full dinner there anyway that we couldn't just do the WOC package with the full menu, but that's they way it goes, I guess. Maybe we'll just stick with our regular dinner plans and try for WOC fast passes instead.

TrolleyFollower91

You'll love World of Color! My only advice is be prepared to stand for an hour if you get Fastpasses for the first show. It was a long wait. We didn't go down in the front (too cold to get wet!) but I bet it would be fantastic. We were up several levels so we couldn't see any of the lower fountains due to heads. I definitely would recommend going in the front and embracing the water, especially if you only have one opportunity to see it.

007mickey

I've been looking into the new price fixed menu WOC package for Carthay Circle. Found what the menu includes over at Touring Plans:
http://touringplans.com/disney-cali...taurant/menus/world-of-color-prix-fixe-dinner

A pretty nice menu, but doesn't seem to have the biscuits or the majority of the good appetizers we'd heard so much about, which is a bummer. It's a shame since we were going to do a full dinner there anyway that we couldn't just do the WOC package with the full menu, but that's they way it goes, I guess. Maybe we'll just stick with our regular dinner plans and try for WOC fast passes instead.

That must be the dinner menu, it looks better. At lunch we did not have 7 entrees to choose from, it was about 5 and one item was a burger. The ravioli was on there as well as an eggplant sandwich and a couple of other options.

neoshinok

@TuffyCatt I highly recommend seeing World of Color multiple times! We watched it three times during two days at California Adventure, and each vantage point has something great to offer. We were down in front the first time, on the bridge on the left side the second, and in the center of all the viewing area the third. The last time we were against the railing facing a dividing planter, and out of nowhere a blue geyser popped up about a foot in front of us out of the planter! Very unexpected and the only time I got to see it. It is a show leagues beyond most at WDW, only Illuminations can compete. Here's a video from my trip! Very excited for you:)

Cosmic Commando

4880152804_5ee2ff9670_b.jpg

When we went, we got there a couple minutes before the hour mark and sat down right in front. We had some counter service food with us to eat and nobody came around to make us stand until maybe 15 minutes before the show. It may be earlier if it's especially crowded. If you look at this map, you can see that the fountains are not really aligned with the viewing area, so try to stand on the left side... you'll be closer to the show. Some people may say too close, but I disagree. :D

croboy82

I watched World of Colors twice while there (and I've cried both times, not ashamed haha!).

First time we had a reservation at Carthay. We ate dinner (apetizer and entree) and at the end I said I wanted the World of Color "tickets" it was no problem. And we could choose from the full menu. So reading here you only could choose from some menus is a bit new for me? But my dinner was last year so things might have changed. My personal opinion though is that the Restaurant is a bit overpriced and I didn't really enjoy the meal that much. But it might be better for you :)

We got some spots I think in D2 (green) in that pic above and the view was great.

Second time we got fast passes. But we wanted them for the 2nd show. You can either wait or as we did, ask the CM if we could get fast passes for the 2nd show already? He said to wait a few more minutes and then wrote by hand on the fast passes which area and that it was for the 2nd show.

Those were Y2 (yellow) so almost the same spot as before. As long as you are somewhere in the middle you should be fine imo.

TuffyCatt

Original Poster
Thank you all so much, this has all been super helpful! I'm getting more excited by the minute! Between the info here and from the link over at DisBoards, I think we'll be able to come up with a plan. We'll be there for 5 days, so it should be easy enough for us to fit in multiple viewings if we want to as well!

I'll let you all know if we find out anything else about the Carthay Circle dining package - if it continues to look like you can only get the WOC tickets with the fixed menu I think we'll skip that since our initial plan was to try out the full menu and just enjoy our meal. However, thanks to all the info we've gotten here it looks like we can do just as well with the fast passes anyway. :) Now we just need to come up with our plans for viewing Fantasmic (which I've been able to read up about on here and DisBoards as well)!

Cosmic Commando

Another quirk: when I saw WoC, I had "Blue" Fastpasses twice and "Red" once. Both times I was in the Blue, I was able to get down close to the water and walk all the way across the viewing area into the Red section where I think you get the best view. My hunch is that the spots closest to the water have a little less demand because people are afraid of getting wet. It is a possibility, but I've never had more than a light mist. It's the best spot to see the show from, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom