Questions about expenses for the Disney College Program :)

vividaudio

Original Poster
Hello, everybody! I've been looking into the DCP, and I'm very interested in it, but I do have some reservations when it comes to finances. I attend college and I've had to take out a couple loans. I definitely want to do this program, and even though I know I'll enjoy it I really can't unless I can bring back some money from it to pay off loans. I've heard that once rent/housing is taken out of your check, in addition to expenses like food and gas, you're really not left with a lot of money.

So, my questions are:

1) Aside from the rent/housing, textbook fees, and application fees, what other expenses did you come across? I especially would like to know about weekly expenses, like how much you ended up spending on food every week? Does DCP provide you with food, or discounts on food?

2) How much driving did you end up doing? Does the Disney-provided transport get you where you need to go efficiently and conveniently or did you end up using your car a lot? How much did you end up spending on gas?

3) And if it's not too intrusive, I was wondering if CP veterans could tell me what your weekly paycheck ended up being, how many hours you got, etc? Were you able to take any money home? Is it realistic to try and bring at least $2,000 back with you, or are living expenses just too high?

Thank you very much for any input!!

joanna71985

Hello, everybody! I've been looking into the DCP, and I'm very interested in it, but I do have some reservations when it comes to finances. I attend college and I've had to take out a couple loans. I definitely want to do this program, and even though I know I'll enjoy it I really can't unless I can bring back some money from it to pay off loans. I've heard that once rent/housing is taken out of your check, in addition to expenses like food and gas, you're really not left with a lot of money.

So, my questions are:

1) Aside from the rent/housing, textbook fees, and application fees, what other expenses did you come across? I especially would like to know about weekly expenses, like how much you ended up spending on food every week? Does DCP provide you with food, or discounts on food?

2) How much driving did you end up doing? Does the Disney-provided transport get you where you need to go efficiently and conveniently or did you end up using your car a lot? How much did you end up spending on gas?

3) And if it's not too intrusive, I was wondering if CP veterans could tell me what your weekly paycheck ended up being, how many hours you got, etc? Were you able to take any money home? Is it realistic to try and bring at least $2,000 back with you, or are living expenses just too high?

1. Really the only fee you have to worry about is rent (besides food). You don't have to pay for transportation (unless you bring a car), cable/internet, ect. And you don't have to pay for books, unless you take classes (the Disney classes are optional). You do have to provide your own food, though.

2. I never had a car for any of my CPs. But the buses were fine, for the most part. It could get a little crazy around closing time. But I never had any major problems with the buses.

3. Hours will depend on role and location. On average, I would get around 40-45 hours. But during busy times, I could get 50+. As for $2000, that might be a little high. I got around $1500 from my CP, and that was from working a ton of hours

vividaudio

Original Poster
Thank you, Joanna!

Also, I was curious if you get sick days/vacation days on this program, and how many if you do?

TheBeatles

So, my questions are:

1. Food costs depends on what kind of shopper you are. Some businesses around the area give you a discount if you are a Cast Member.

2. I did a lot of driving because I enjoyed exploring the area. Buses were fine, but there were a couple times I had to hurry to work because the bus was late.

3. I've never had a work location that gave me more than 40 hours. I was lucky enough to work somewhere that offered a position with a pay raise. I also picked up extra shifts. After 3 months of work I left with almost $1,000 dollars. Just depends how you spend your money.

If you are in dire need of money, I wouldn't suggest the CP.

vividaudio

Original Poster
That's not true. I was able to get 5 days off in a row, and I know others who got the entire week off. It all depends on availability

So, hypothetically, if I was to wake up one morning with a terrible flu, I wouldn't be able to get the day off? :veryconfu

TheBeatles

So, hypothetically, if I was to wake up one morning with a terrible flu, I wouldn't be able to get the day off? :veryconfu

You would call in for the shift and get a point on your record card.

As far as taking days off, you aren't allowed to take more than 8 or 9 days off in a row. It could be different now.

CP_alum08

So, my questions are:

1. Besides food, the only other expenses are 'fun' expenses. I ended up spending quite a bit of money, but my roommates and I did a lot of stuff outside of Disney. We went to Universal Studios a few times, drove to the beach multiple times, ate out a lot, etc.

2. Again, with doing more things outside of Disney you will have to drive a lot more. I drove to work everyday, so did my roommates. We tried the busses the first few days we were there and they worked fine, but you definitely have to plan ahead. I could drive to work in about 10 minutes verses around an hour taking the bus.

3. I don't remember exactly what the pay check was, sorry. I worked around 40 hours on average, some weeks a little more others a little less. Like someone previously said, if you are doing this to make money you'd better think twice, it's more about the experience than the pay.

As far as 'sick' days...it really depends on your managers. They know what to expect from CP's. You are all college age kids and the likelihood of people partying and not coming into work the next day is quite high, so they expect you to call in to some degree. I was lucky and had amazing managers so I called in probably more than I should have and never got in trouble for it. On the other hand, one of my roommates had strict managers and he went to work a few times when he was actually sick and probably should have stayed home. Regardless of managers, if you request time off far enough in advance you will probably get it. As long as you don't want 5 days off during spring break or something like that.

Good luck and have a blast! I did the CP a little over 2 years ago now and I still keep in contact with my 3 roommates and a couple others I met down there. I also know of a couple who met on their CP and are now happily married, so you just never know what can happen!

SinginSarah

1) You get discounts at several restaurants in the area. Other expenses depend on what your lifestyle is. But aside from food, all your other money is pocket money.

2) I didn't do a whole lot of driving, but I also didn't "explore" as much as some other people do, nor did I take any beach trips or anything. It's a bit of a trek to get to work from the complexes, but I only had to fill up once every week and a half or so. Again it depends on what kind of activities you do when you're not working, and also what kind of car you have, because my car had decent gas mileage.

3) I was in costuming at $7.25 and usually got 40 hours a week, which turned into 37.5 hours when they took out my unpaid lunches. I normally made around $230-$240 a week with taxes taken out, and my rent was $93/week, so take home I made around $150 a week.

Taxes are another thing to think about. Since I worked out of state they didn't take any state taxes out and I ended up having to pay $200 in state taxes.

I don't even know how much money I came back with, but I think it was less than $500.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom