Question regarding rides and arm sling injuries...

Scrooged

My son recently broke his arm (proximal humerus/clean break) and will be wearing a sling and arm wrap for six to eight weeks. Of course this happened just before our vacation (which includes MNSSHP and a possible Hollywood Studios visit) and I was wondering if anyone had any ride tips. Clearly he will not be riding any coasters, but I was wondering if Anyone has any tips or advice. Our plan is pirates/haunted mansion and other “easy” attractions. But any info would be appreciated.

bsiev1977

My son recently broke his arm (proximal humerus/clean break) and will be wearing a sling and arm wrap for six to eight weeks. Of course this happened just before our vacation (which includes MNSSHP and a possible Hollywood Studios visit) and I was wondering if anyone had any ride tips. Clearly he will not be riding any coasters, but I was wondering if Anyone has any tips or advice. Our plan is pirates/haunted mansion and other “easy” attractions. But any info would be appreciated.

I really think you’ve got the right idea. If you have knowledge of all the rides, choosing what’s safe to go on won’t be difficult.

Upvote 0

Swissmiss

Premium Member
My DD had a broken thumb and a surprising large/long cast and her arm in a sling during one of our trips this past year. We don’t do a lot of coasters, but she was fine on BTMRR. It was more problematic when she was in a leg brace a few months later...

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Just be a bit more cautious loading & unloading into the various ride cars. Some of them can be a bit tricky entering and being seated having the use of one arm/ hand. You may need to offer him some assistance with balance in especially unloading after the ride. And just think of how the ride goes and be prepared for any minor drops or turns that may jostle his shoulder and body into the side of the ride car. Even the mildest attractions can give enough of a jolt to bump the arm.
Also I'd try always walking on the side of him that has the sling when moving through the park paths and anywhere there are crowds to block off anyone possibly bumping into his arm. You would be providing a buffer.

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

I think he'd be fine if you decide to do MFSR, but don't put him at pilot; you need both hands for that role. You can try to make him a Gunner and put him on the side of his good arm. The ride itself doesn't jerk very much; I think he will be fine.

Make sure you bring something to cover his arm with in case of a rainstorm. Normally I'm not a fan of ponchos, but it might be a good idea to ensure nothing gets wet.

I feel his pain; I tore a ligament in my thumb back in 2015 and was in a brace for both of our summer vacations. It was miserable.

Upvote 0

Scrooged

Original Poster
Just a side note- anyone have any problems with CMs noting injuries? We plan on checking at the front FP area- but may go covert if we encounter a CM who refuses entry. (I understand it’s their discretion- and I want to abide by the rules- but willing to bend them just a teensy bit....)

Upvote 0

bsiev1977

Just a side note- anyone have any problems with CMs noting injuries? We plan on checking at the front FP area- but may go covert if we encounter a CM who refuses entry. (I understand it’s their discretion- and I want to abide by the rules- but willing to bend them just a teensy bit....)
I really don’t think you should do that. The CMs know the rides, and they likely have strict directives about people with certain injuries. Why risk more damage?

Upvote 0

Swissmiss

Premium Member

I didn’t have any issues (and sometimes had to point out the leg brace so they’d put in a row with more leg space) BUT this was at DLP, not WDW.

Upvote 0

Ricky Spanish

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Scrooged

Original Poster
I really don’t think you should do that. The CMs know the rides, and they likely have strict directives about people with certain injuries. Why risk more damage?
I suppose my question was more directed to the CMs and their individual discretion. The kid is aware that hes not going to be riding Space Mountain or anything of that ilk-but he is dying to do SR in Hollywood Studios. I'm not being irresponsible here, just trying to find a grey line.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom