Question regarding price difference between US and UK

R. Mexico

Original Poster
Hi, I was wondering if anyone noticed this before. I looked at the UK version of expedia and typed in the dates that I wanted to stay at WDW. The animal kingdom lodge came up for just the room to be 1216 pounds or $1820 which is exactly $1100 cheaper than the disney website for the same exact room. I think added the tickets i want and the expedia price plus the tickets on Disney site would be $3232. My question is this. Has anyone in the States ever booked using a UK site like http://www.expedia.co.uk? Can you? Thanks

ULPO46

I don't believe it's possible. You would have to be kind of covert about doing so, after all you would have to convert the US Dollar to the UK's Pound Sterling. I'd do it just to check but i think it won't let you do it since you are in the United States.

R. Mexico

Original Poster
I don't believe it's possible. You would have to be kind of covert about doing so, after all you would have to convert the US Dollar to the UK's Pound Sterling. I'd do it just to check but i think it won't let you do it since you are in the United States.
It stinks cause it is really a lot cheaper.

ULPO46

haha I know, but at least now you understand why foreign tourist have so much extra to spend in the Parks.

katieee

haha I know, but at least now you understand why foreign tourist have so much extra to spend in the Parks.

'Foreign tourists' charming! Ha. I disagree! My fiancés mum died 2 weeks before we were due to fly to disneyworld last august and we had to reschedule the trip. Our travel agent company was less than sympathetic and due to changing it to a more 'peak' time it's cost us £5000 about $8000 for 2 weeks for the 2 of us!

R. Mexico

Original Poster
'Foreign tourists' charming! Ha. I disagree! My fiancés mum died 2 weeks before we were due to fly to disneyworld last august and we had to reschedule the trip. Our travel agent company was less than sympathetic and due to changing it to a more 'peak' time it's cost us £5000 about $8000 for 2 weeks for the 2 of us!
Oh I seriously wasn't trying to be mean or anything. I just noticed this on the UK's expedia site and wondered.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have heard of people trying this before, but unless you had a UK address and a UK bank account, it would not let it through.

The why is simple. Disney will give extra breaks and incentives to UK visitors because they tend to travel for longer periods and spend more money. As a rule UK visitors could combine promotions (eg free dining and a room discount) and they even have special UK only tickets that will run up to 3 weeks in length.

R. Mexico

Original Poster
I have heard of people trying this before, but unless you had a UK address and a UK bank account, it would not let it through.

The why is simple. Disney will give extra breaks and incentives to UK visitors because they tend to travel for longer periods and spend more money. As a rule UK visitors could combine promotions (eg free dining and a room discount) and they even have special UK only tickets that will run up to 3 weeks in length.
Man, that stinks:) Oh well.

Pluto15

There are offers all year round with 14 day unlimited ticket free dining and discounted room rates. It's to try and compensate for the flight costs.

Tinkerkelle

The free dining, promotional gift cards and such are, pretty much, for early booking 18 months to a year in advance-sizeable deposit usually required. Locks in the UK visitor who will generally stay at least 10 days but more likely 14+. And the airfares push costs up, although I just got some money back for our flights for this October as the govt have done away with flight taxes for kids. More money for mickey ears!!

Kit83

There are offers all year round with 14 day unlimited ticket free dining and discounted room rates. It's to try and compensate for the flight costs.

These deals for the brits have been around for a long time we had the 14 day park hopper and free DDP including 100 Disney dollar's back in 1993, we have the same deal this year ! When we travel we normally book flights and hotels ourselves, with Disney its best to go through them or an agent because of the deal . As long as you book several months in advance. With ADR's and fast pass + you need to book well in advance .

skishlee

I wish the UK deals were available for Australians as well buuuut what we've spent and the 13.5 hours on the plane will be totally worth it!

Mouse_Trap

Hi, I was wondering if anyone noticed this before. I looked at the UK version of expedia and typed in the dates that I wanted to stay at WDW. The animal kingdom lodge came up for just the room to be 1216 pounds or $1820 which is exactly $1100 cheaper than the disney website for the same exact room. I think added the tickets i want and the expedia price plus the tickets on Disney site would be $3232. My question is this. Has anyone in the States ever booked using a UK site like http://www.expedia.co.uk? Can you? Thanks

Have you looked what price expedia.com (US version) gives you?

For AKL, you don't mention dates or duration....so I choose the 12th June for 7 nights.
Expedia comes out at £1,168 and Disney £1,809 (and they claim that's with 2 free nights) - both using UK sites for the same standard view (car park) room.

So in this case, booking direct with Disney is 50% more expensive then booking with Expedia.

Looking at their terms & conditions, I can't see no reason why you can't book with expedia.co.uk if you so wish....there's nothing about requiring a UK address (just enter your zip code for postcode in the credit card section - or use Paypal).

Pluto15

Have you looked what price expedia.com (US version) gives you?

For AKL, you don't mention dates or duration....so I choose the 12th June for 7 nights.
Expedia comes out at £1,168 and Disney £1,809 (and they claim that's with 2 free nights) - both using UK sites for the same standard view (car park) room.

So in this case, booking direct with Disney is 50% more expensive then booking with Expedia.

Looking at their terms & conditions, I can't see no reason why you can't book with expedia.co.uk if you so wish....there's nothing about requiring a UK address (just enter your zip code for postcode in the credit card section - or use Paypal).

I've never found disney can match the specials offered by the travel companies. Travel companies have far greater offers as they are selling holidays and packages in bulk to millions and millions of customers and that's there core business. Disney have some offers but far limited in comparision.

WDW_Jon

14 days spending money in resorts and parks plus paying for what is technically a long haul flight negates any ticket / hotel saving....

It's pretty rare anyone books for less than 10 days from my experience and we pay what looks to be less as part of a big package rather than 3/4 nights based on a nightly cost so hard to compare

Mouse_Trap

I've never found disney can match the specials offered by the travel companies. Travel companies have far greater offers as they are selling holidays and packages in bulk to millions and millions of customers and that's there core business. Disney have some offers but far limited in comparision.

Agreed.

My point was though that the OP seems to be comparing UK Expedia to the US Disney site, and saying how much cheaper the UK Expedia price was; but then was unsure if they could book via the UK Expedia site.

My question was had they tried comparing the UK Expedia price to the US Expedia price so that it was a fairer comparison.

I tried to illustrate this by showing if they compared the UK Expedia price to the UK Disney price then the Disney site come out far more expensive.

Therefore, its not necessarily the country of booking which is causing a price difference (i.e. Disney offering better deals of overseas - though it certainly can happen), but in this case more about who you are using to book with in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom