Question on navigating around Columbus Day

phillip9698

Looking to plan a 2021 trip in October and i always hear to avoid the Columbus day weekend. But what i dont know is when exactly does the spike happen? Columbus day is on the 11th. Would crowds be ok the week before, or are crowds already arriving in anticipation of that day off? Also is the entire week for Columbus day higher demand, for a vacation say starting the 13th?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Looking to plan a 2021 trip in October and i always hear to avoid the Columbus day weekend. But what i dont know is when exactly does the spike happen? Columbus day is on the 11th. Would crowds be ok the week before, or are crowds already arriving in anticipation of that day off? Also is the entire week for Columbus day higher demand, for a vacation say starting the 13th?
The crowding starts the Thursday before... which is at the tail-end this year of the mega-crowding of MK's 50th, which is the first week of October.

Upvote 0

phillip9698

Original Poster
The crowding starts the Thursday before... which is at the tail-end this year of the mega-crowding of MK's 50th, which is the first week of October.

Thanks. After more research I'm thinking we are just going to go in mid September and avoid all that. Going to be our first time going with children (2 and 5) so it may be best to visit with slightly smaller crowds.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Thanks. After more research I'm thinking we are just going to go in mid September and avoid all that. Going to be our first time going with children (2 and 5) so it may be best to visit with slightly smaller crowds.
I totally agree with you! The Food and Wine festival should be going on at that time and I am hoping that they will have Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party making a comeback but I am not holding my breath

Pam

Upvote 0

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I totally agree with you! The Food and Wine festival should be going on at that time and I am hoping that they will have Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party making a comeback but I am not holding my breath

Pam

By way of the rumor tracker...
The usual Halloween and Christmas parties will be back not only in full force in 2021, but with upgrades [here]
What’s more 2020 than thinking ahead to the holidays in 2021? I’m told they are planning for the return of MNSSHP and MVMCP. Complete with some upgrades over 2019‘s parties. Get yo’ vaccine next Spring!

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

We have been told that the parties will be back, but again I am not holding my breath

Pam
We’re planning to be there the Friday after Columbus Day for a week. It would be so great if the Halloween party was an option, though hopefully with lower numbers than in the past. Any inkling on when Disney is planning to announce that? I assume not until well into spring.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
We’re planning to be there the Friday after Columbus Day for a week. It would be so great if the Halloween party was an option, though hopefully with lower numbers than in the past. Any inkling on when Disney is planning to announce that? I assume not until well into spring.
I am expecting them to be out sometime next month. Fingers crossed!

Pam

Upvote 0

phillip9698

Original Poster

Pam

Do you know if its possible to get the exact building you would like to book? For example i went ahead and booked a Cars suite at Art of Animation for mid September online, if i called would they be able to put me in building 2? I tried calling all yesterday but all i could ever get is a busy signal.

Upvote 0

Disstevefan1

Just my opinion, but we cannot use pre COVID crowd trends for any time going forward. My gut tells me it’s gonna feel MOBBED no matter what TWDC says the “reduced capacity” is at that moment.

Go in with low expectations, expect and prepare accordingly for crowds, if you experience anything better than that, it’s a win...

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Do you know if its possible to get the exact building you would like to book? For example i went ahead and booked a Cars suite at Art of Animation for mid September online, if i called would they be able to put me in building 2? I tried calling all yesterday but all i could ever get is a busy signal.
You can ask for it to be notated on your reservation but they will not guarantee it. You can also see if you can notate it if you do online check in through the MDE app.

Pam

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

Steer clear of Boardwalk if you are looking at going after Columbus Day. Gartner starts the 18th (If they have it that is)
What’s Gartner? We’re booked at Boardwalk (home DVC resort) and I think it’s unlikely we’d get 2 2-bedrooms at Beach Club at 7 months, but I can check... (Actually, can you check? I think you can just see that one is available, but maybe if I call...)

Upvote 0

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
What’s Gartner? We’re booked at Boardwalk (home DVC resort) and I think it’s unlikely we’d get 2 2-bedrooms at Beach Club at 7 months, but I can check... (Actually, can you check? I think you can just see that one is available, but maybe if I call...)

It’s a large IT conference that takes place every year at the Swolphin. They also take some rooms at Yacht Club. They block off public areas for functions and the whole vibe is that of a conference.

I stayed at Dolphin one time when it was going on. Wasn’t my cup of tea. That being said others may be fine with it. I wasn’t.

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

It’s a large IT conference that takes place every year at the Swolphin. They also take some rooms at Yacht Club. They block off public areas for functions and the whole vibe is that of a conference.

I stayed at Dolphin one time when it was going on. Wasn’t my cup of tea. That being said others may be fine with it. I wasn’t.
We’ve stayed at Boardwalk late October before. Hard to say if conferences will be happening as normal. I suspect we’ll be ok at Boardwalk. We’ve got kiddos and will be traveling as a large family group (I think 15 of us) so we’ll be too self absorbed to notice some IT folks out partying. 😉

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom