Question for Magical Gatherings veterans (and reunions in general)

DocOrange

Part question, part venting.

Any suggestions for dealing with that one (or more) family member who is coming to the reunion, but is too cynical about the Disney experience? I'm talking about an adult who is taking a teen-like "painfully hip" attitude about partaking in "prepackaged entertainment". We obviously can't drag her kicking and screaming into the parks, but I'm concerned that her attitude might put a damper on the reunion in general. I am guessing that you can't help getting at least one person like that in a group of 18, and that this can't be a unique experience.

Thanks in advance.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
DocOrange said:
Part question, part venting.

Any suggestions for dealing with that one (or more) family member who is coming to the reunion, but is too cynical about the Disney experience? I'm talking about an adult who is taking a teen-like "painfully hip" attitude about partaking in "prepackaged entertainment". We obviously can't drag her kicking and screaming into the parks, but I'm concerned that her attitude might put a damper on the reunion in general. I am guessing that you can't help getting at least one person like that in a group of 18, and that this can't be a unique experience.

Thanks in advance.
You could always forget to pick her up when you head to WDW. :lol: But seriously depending on how vocal they are one person like this can ruin a whole trip for the other 17. About the only advice I can give you is don’t force her to do anything. If she doesn’t want to go on a ride let her wait outside. If she doesn’t want to go to a park let her stay at the hotel. If she becomes really belligerent your only real choice is cut her off at the shoulders. Inform her that there are 17 other people that enjoy where they are and what they are doing and that if she insists on bringing everybody else down then she can just go away.

Upvote 0

jesserin

I'm going to ditto with Yoda... We had a grump on our last Magical Gathering and I planned it like this:

Each person paid the same thing - based on how many people where in your room - we all booked the activities and I even threw in a few suprises - but when it came to booking - the only thing I put on the letter we sent out was $$ per person. Every one paid it - now she had the ticket's and didn't even know it... so when we got to WDW I gave everyone a copy of the itinerary and we all agreed to lots of together AND lots of apart time... this gave each family time for each other (and time for those of us who didn't want to be around the grump) But then we met up several times as well for group activities - when the complainer was around, I just ignored her and went on with the group - no matter what, do not give her ground to complain and ruin other's trip... just do what you came to do - have fun - and if she blends, great! and if not, her loss... I never asked her to join in - I just left that up to her...

Upvote 0

polynesiangirl

I think you may be surprised to find that they actually just didn't understand what WDW has to offer. We went with a large group several years ago and my uncle was not that thrilled about it because he had heard from someone that it was impossible to get an (alcoholic) drink in Disney! They must have just gotten it confused with MK and applied to the whole place. Once he knew that he could still be in the great weather, in a patio chair with a beer (just like any other "nice, relaxing, grown-up vacation",) he was relieved. He had also been concerned about the quality of the hotel, and he was pleasantly surprised about that. I think he was afraid he was staring down a solid week of Small World and character breakfasts! Once that was cleared up for him his attitude changed a lot and he ended up having a great time, both out of the parks and in.

The key is really to not push them into anything they don't want to do and to try and find more generic, less "Disney"-ish stuff to do with them on occasion, so they don't get overdosed. Give them time to hang out at the pool, or go with them for afternoon, for example.

Upvote 0

DocOrange

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input

I think you hit it polynesiangirl. She does seem to have her own idea of WDW, even though she's never been there. I am hoping she'll lighten up after a day or two.

Thank you all for your ideas. We have sketched out an itinerary that includes a lot of apart time, with at least one full day between the three parks we're planning to hit, and have emphasized that the only time we're planning on getting together is for certain meals during that week. But for a group our size, I'm guessing we need to start arranging for priority seating for those meals now, which would include the Fantasmic package among other things, which makes it sound like we're making a visit to Disney MGM mandatory, which is one sore spot.

The sad thing is, she has two young kids, 6 and 8, and this is their one big chance to visit WDW. I have this fear that her gratuitous pseudointellectual snobbery will keep them from really enjoying the trip. ("You know, that's really not Jasmine. That's just somebody who works here pretending to be Jasmine.")

Heh. jesserin had a "grump" in her group. Now what souvenir, featuring which Disney character, do you think I should welcome this person to Orlando with? :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom