Question about mobile order

Roakor

Original Poster
Do you have to pay for the meal with mobile order or can you just place the order and pay for it when you pick it up. I really have no desire to put any finical information into my phone or or use apple pay.

DisneyJoe

Do you have to pay for the meal with mobile order or can you just place the order and pay for it when you pick it up. I really have no desire to put any finical information into my phone or or use apple pay.
You can use a Disney Gift Card with mobile order to reduce your risk.

crawale

I believe you do have to pay with some sort of payment when you order which makes sense.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Mobile order only works if you are willing to use some sort of payment on the phone, or charge to your room via the phone. If you are unable/unwilling to do that you can still go to the available order queue and place your order the old-school way we’ve always done it.

While it’s certainly your choice, I am curious what has you concerned about using your phone for payments. The convenience and security of that approach is hard to beat whether at Disney World or anywhere else in the world that accepts it.

Last edited:

JaxFLBear

To pay for a Mobile Food Order with a Disney Gift Card, you must key in the card information on the payment screen. MDE will not save DGC numbers in the app.

Roakor

Original Poster
You can use a Disney Gift Card with mobile order to reduce your risk.
can you use the visa chase rewards Disney gift card? Might go that option if we can. was going to use that for food anyway which was one reason i didn't want to pay with mobile order. but if i can link the chase rewards card that would work.

donsullivan

Premium Member
can you use the visa chase rewards Disney gift card? Might go that option if we can. was going to use that for food anyway which was one reason i didn't want to pay with mobile order. but if i can link the chase rewards card that would work.
I do not believe you can link that card, you have to enter it manually for each transaction during the Mobile Order process. It will not remember it between transactions.

Roakor

Original Poster
Mobile order only works if you are willing to use some sort of payment on the phone, or charge to your room via the phone. If you are unable/unwilling to do that you can still go to the available order queue and place your order the old-school way we’ve always done it.

While it’s certainly your choice, I am curious what has you concerned about using your phone for payments. The convenience and security of that approach is hard to beat whether at Disney World or anywhere else in the world that accepts it.
The more places you have your finacial info (CC number) stored the greater the risk of it being stolen. I'd rather just use the physical credit card. Also we planed on using our Disney chase rewards gift card for food, which it looks like we may be able to link to my mobile. So that could be our best option.

donsullivan

Premium Member
The more places you have your finacial info (CC number) stored the greater the risk of it being stolen. I'd rather just use the physical credit card. Also we planed on using our Disney chase rewards gift card for food, which it looks like we may be able to link to my mobile. So that could be our best option.
The key with service like ApplePay (Android Pay is exactly the same), is that your card number is not actually used for the transactions. The service generates a one-time use number that is used for the transaction that is invalidated immediately after the transaction completes. Your card info is encrypted on the phone and requires your passcode to even utilize it. Nobody in the approval chain ever sees your actual card number so they can’t capture it, or store it in any way.

If you look at the actual details of how it works, it’s actually significantly more secure and private than carrying the physical card around and using or losing that. If you use your physical card, merchants can match your transactions to a profile with that card number. And trust me, Disney has been doing that for years. If you use ApplePay only at a merchant that is hacked, you are completely safe because that merchant never had your actual card number, only the one-time token that expired immediately after use. This anonomity is a key reason so many merchants resisted accepting ApplePay in the early years- they could no longer track your transactions based on seeing the same card number over and over again.

Not using something like this is absolutely your choice, but I hate to see people miss out on the convenience and security benefits of these services due to misunderstanding how they actually work.

It’s a bit of a TLDR,but this page explains how things are kept secure and private with Apple Pay.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom