Question about height requirements

rcapolete

Original Poster
I was looking at the height requirements for some of the rides at Disney. I noticed the Big Thunder Mountain, Dinosaurs, Everest and some of the other Disney thrill rides have a height requirement of 40". Now Pimeval Twirl has a height requirement of 48'. Is this correct or is it an error on Disney's site. I have seen the Primeval Twirl in person but never been on it but it doesn't look nearly as scarey for a kid as BTMRR or Splash Mountain which again have a smaller height requirements. My 4 ds would love it but he will probably be only 42-26' when we go in Sept.

calicommando

I was looking at the height requirements for some of the rides at Disney. I noticed the Big Thunder Mountain, Dinosaurs, Everest and some of the other Disney thrill rides have a height requirement of 40". Now Pimeval Twirl has a height requirement of 48'. Is this correct or is it an error on Disney's site. I have seen the Primeval Twirl in person but never been on it but it doesn't look nearly as scarey for a kid as BTMRR or Splash Mountain which again have a smaller height requirements. My 4 ds would love it but he will probably be only 42-26' when we go in Sept.

I'm pretty sure that's correct. I know it's over 40" because my 3 year old son couldn't go last week. He just snuck into a lot of rides at 40.5". I'm pretty sure everest is higher than 40" too. I could be wrong though. ToT is 40" though. He "enjoyed" that. (at least as he retells the story he did. it didn't seem like he was enjoying it at the time though. haha)

disneydata

Height requirements are not for "scare factor" (except for Stitch I guess). They are for safety reasons. The restraints are designed to hold children only if they're a certain height. This prevents them from easily slipping out of them. Yes there is a little give, but that would be cutting it too close for comfort.

As for the "big shoes" trick, I would strongly advise against using it. That two extra inches on their feet will not help when when they're slipping out of the harness. If your child isn't tall enough, be a good parent and let them ride next year when they are. Most of the time, attractions with a height requirement will have some sort of card or certificate so when they are tall enough they can go through the FastPass line.

mdisney

the main reason is the way it holds people in and since its a pull down lapbar for two people they feel its safer for people to be 4 foot even or taller to ride it so kids dont slide out of it.

As disneydata said, there are certificates that they give out for a child to go on the ride when they get taller. My Mom found one from 1994 in an old photo album that was mine because I was too short to go on Space Mountain. We asked the CMs if we could still use it, and they said yes, they don't expire.

Also, they have passes that you can use (childswap is what I believe they are called) that work somewhat like a fastpass. You, your child, and whoever else go in line and when they measure your child, ask for a childswap pass since he/she will be too small. Each person can have a turn riding, but one person watches the child. When the other person is done riding, you give the pass to the person collecting fastpasses and go ahead, while of course, the other person stays with the child.

rcapolete

Original Poster
what i don't understand is why the is such a bigger height requirement on a tamer ride such as Primeval as oppossed to say Space Mountain or BTMRR, TT, ect.

EpcotGrl

what i don't understand is why the is such a bigger height requirement on a tamer ride such as Primeval as oppossed to say Space Mountain or BTMRR, TT, ect.

It's likely (and this is all guess work on my part) the sudden, jerky spins. That's a lot of force on a tiny person, and might well be enough to toss them out if they're too small. As a kid I was nearly thrown from one of those "sizzler" rides at our local fair, so I'm guessing it's the same principle for PW :wave:

Pioneer Hall

The higher requirement has to do with the overhead restraint system. It is the same with Rock 'n' Roller Coaster because the overhead restaraints require a higher requirement.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

I dont think I would use the word tame (or any variation of it) for Primeval Whirl. Its one of the roughest rides I have been on at WDW. My daughter was eagerly awaiting being tall enough to ride it for a couple of years. When she finally was tall enough, we rode it, and it scared her to death. It is a very rough ride. Imagine the roughness of Dinasaur, coaster effect like Space Mountain and the ride vehicle spins like the teacups. It was not fun to me....

Laura

Premium Member
magine the roughness of Dinasaur, coaster effect like Space Mountain and the ride vehicle spins like the teacups. It was not fun to me....

:ROFLOL:

Great description!

Primeval Whirl is one of only 2 rides my 5 year old son is too short for this year. The other is Rock N Rollercoaster.

alecshawn

Height requirements are not for "scare factor" (except for Stitch I guess). They are for safety reasons. The restraints are designed to hold children only if they're a certain height. This prevents them from easily slipping out of them. Yes there is a little give, but that would be cutting it too close for comfort.

As for the "big shoes" trick, I would strongly advise against using it. That two extra inches on their feet will not help when when they're slipping out of the harness. If your child isn't tall enough, be a good parent and let them ride next year when they are. Most of the time, attractions with a height requirement will have some sort of card or certificate so when they are tall enough they can go through the FastPass line.
If you child is CLOSE to the height requirement then the "thick sole shoes" are fine. When you are only an inch or so too short then there would be no saftey issue imho. I could understand 2 inches too short or more. Its an age ole tradition to try and "add" height to young ones!!:)

Laura

Premium Member
If you child is CLOSE to the height requirement then the "thick sole shoes" are fine. When you are only an inch or so too short then there would be no saftey issue imho. I could understand 2 inches too short or more. Its an age ole tradition to try and "add" height to young ones!!:)

Orrrr you could just let your child wear comfortable walking shoes and let them ride when they are old enough and it's 100% safe. ;)

joanna71985

Actually, if the shoes are obviously thick, the CM may ask the child to take the shoes off to be measured. It has happened before.

alecshawn

Orrrr you could just let your child wear comfortable walking shoes and let them ride when they are old enough and it's 100% safe. ;)
Nothing in life is 100% safe. The height adding soles is a tradition of millions who have visited disney for years. We'll be fine..:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom