Question about Generic Kid's Menus

Momketeer

Original Poster
I did a search first and didn't see anything about this, please forgive if this is already been answered.

I just read over on allearsnet.com that they have recently rolled out a generic kids menu nearly all over WDW.
Does anyone know if this is:
1)a permanent change or something temporary/in testing and
2)is it for everyone or just those using the the Dining Plan?
Looks like some good food and some healthy choices for kids. No burgers though...I thought that was pretty standard kids fare. Oh Well.

Any info you have on the new kids' menus is much appreciated.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I did a search first and didn't see anything about this, please forgive if this is already been answered.

I just read over on allearsnet.com that they have recently rolled out a generic kids menu nearly all over WDW.
Looks like some good food and some healthy choices for kids. No burgers though...I thought that was pretty standard kids fare. Oh Well.

Don't know if it's permanent or temporary, but I know there are no separate menus for DDP vs non-DDP. If you're on the meal plan, you get the same menu as if you're not.

maelstrom

No burgers on a kids menu? Is there chicken fingers or hot dogs or mac & cheese? Sometimes I don't know what they're thinking with those kids menus.

Chape19714

They just added more options to the kids menu, such as being able to substitute Fries for Carrots or Crackers, and Soda for Juice or Milk.

PotteryGal

I just read this too, which makes me wonder.. does this apply to both counter service and sit-downs? And what if you have a kid who likes PBJ or pizza? Are those options no longer available? I was under the impression from all ears that this wasn't an addition to existing menus, but an across -the-board replacement. I hope this isn't permanent, or I read it wrong.

KKnopf

I too read about the new kids menu... :confused:

My 9 year old is not thrilled with it either... :cry: It makes it sound like they ONLY have a choice of Chicken strips, Pita Pizza or Macaroni and Cheese OR Spaghetti and Meatballs, although the writer did state "...The kids could also order from the a la carte menu at the bottom of the menu..." at Tony's.

My daughter is at the age now where she is more into the adult type food then the kid food... and can not see her limiting herself for 7 days to these choices, my 5 year old on the other hand, give her Macaroni and Cheese and she will be happy!

Does anyone have any more info on this new change?:hammer:

pinkrose

I too read about the new kids menu... :confused:

My 9 year old is not thrilled with it either... :cry: It makes it sound like they ONLY have a choice of Chicken strips, Pita Pizza or Macaroni and Cheese OR Spaghetti and Meatballs, although the writer did state "...The kids could also order from the a la carte menu at the bottom of the menu..." at Tony's.

My daughter is at the age now where she is more into the adult type food then the kid food... and can not see her limiting herself for 7 days to these choices, my 5 year old on the other hand, give her Macaroni and Cheese and she will be happy!

Does anyone have any more info on this new change?:hammer:

Same here. My daughter is 9 and though she loves mac and cheese and chicken strips, she will not want it every evening for 8 days. I was excited to see that some of the places we have ADR's at offered things such as baked chicken with mashed potatoes, ect. on the kids menu. Now it seems as though she won't have that option. Spaghetti and Meatballs isn't an option for my daughter because she used to have a severe tomato allergy. Even though she's no longer allergic to it, she won't touch it.

This is such a limited menu...

Pita Pizza - with diced chicken and mozzarella cheese, served with shredded vegetable salad and brown-sugar apples $7.49

Just Dip It - assorted fruits, vegetables, chicken salad and yogurt $7.49

Chicken Strips - served with barbecue sauce, sweet potato sticks, green beans, carrots and yogurt parfait $7.49

Kid's Picks - choice of one appetizer, one entree and one dessert:

Appetizers: Vegetable Salad OR Chicken Noodle Soup
Entrees: Macaroni and Cheese OR Spaghetti and Meatballs
Desserts: Fruit Salad OR Ice Cream Sundae

maelstrom

Pinkrose, would your daughter eat pasta with parmesan cheese or melted butter? I'm sure you can get it without the sauce and meatballs. Just a suggestion.

pinkrose

Pinkrose, would your daughter eat pasta with parmesan cheese or melted butter? I'm sure you can get it without the sauce and meatballs. Just a suggestion.

Yeah, that's how she eats it at home. I'd def. see if we could get that (along with honey mustard for the chicken fingers instead of bbq sauce). Thanks :)

pinkrose

Where is this new change indicated on AllEars?

EDIT: Nevermind... found it. Such a cluttered site. http://allearsnet.com/menu/menu_ddpkids.htm

Yeah, I have the feeling I'll be ordering (and paying out of pocket) for my daughter off of the adult menu a good bit. She's not going to want to eat chicken fingers or mac and cheese every meal. They need some choices for the kids on the "older" end of the spectrum.

coltow

Even my (almost) 3 yo would not be happy about this. He likes variety and with this there really isn't any. Mac & Cheese, Chicken Fingers or Spaghetti, not much of a selection here. No burgers, hot dogs, PB&J or regular pizza. This is awful.

Tara Stone

My Daughters will only eat buttered pasta and though this was not on any of the menus we were able to get it everywhere we asked on our last trip 9/18-9/24/06.
some places we had it
Chefs de France
Liberty Tree Tavern
Narcoosees
Yachtsmans Steakhouse

I'm pretty sure most places will accomodate pickey eaters.... it is WDW after all!

Tara Stone

This is all my girls will eat and we were able to get buttered noodles everywhere we asked for them even though they weren't on the menu. We were in WDW this past September. We had them at Liberty Tree, Yachtsman's Steakhouse, narcoosees, Chefs de France etc
I think they will accomodate this pretty much anywhere

whoops didn't think this went thru the first time....sorry

slappy magoo

I mentioned on a thread discussing the reduction of entrees across-the-board at WDW resturants that management is thinking this way:

The fewer the entrees, the easier it is to prep all the food ahead of time, before it is even ordered.

The more food that can be prepped ahead of time, the sooner customers can be served

The sooner people are served, the sooner (hopefully) that they'll leave.

The sooner they leave, the more often they can turn over the tables, serving more customers and turning away fewer guests without ADRs. I wouldn't be surprised if, once a meal, at every busy resturant in WDW, there is invariably a scene when someone without reservations flips out because the wait is either ridiculously long, OR they can't be served at all.

So, keep the menu simple. Turn the tables faster. Serve more customers. Everyone is happy. That is, what I think, the concept at work, and this new limited kids' menu seems to reflect this as well.

However, I think it will cause more harm than good. The lack of choices, for both kids and adults, will turn off some more discerning customers. During the less-crowded season, they'll start seeing more and more customers opt to leave the parks, eat off-site, and then come back...maybe. They will get a lot of negative feedback over these slimmed-down menus. I don't have kids, but I know I'd be unhappy only offering these few choices to a child. I'd also be angry over a choice of 5 or 6 entrees for myself, what with living in the land of a million diners and all.

We're not heading back till August of 2007. I sure hope they go back to more expansive menus by then.

KKnopf

Well the good news (?) is allearsnet reports that the menu has been rolled out at "...SOME restaurants (Tony's, Prime Time, Mama Melrose, Brown Derbyt, Sci Fi.) around Walt Disney World. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Could be a test run...."[/FONT]

The pictures makes it look better than it sounds, altough my older daughter would like a little more choises than this. here is a link...
http://allearsnet.com/menu/kids.jpg

xx_lilo_xx

thought i'm not a disney kid anymore , when i was a disney kid i wont not anything like that, my sister who is diabectic would nt eat thing like that i think they should be given a choice of what there can have, keep the old and bring in the new!!!

d-r

Yeah, I have the feeling I'll be ordering (and paying out of pocket) for my daughter off of the adult menu a good bit. She's not going to want to eat chicken fingers or mac and cheese every meal. They need some choices for the kids on the "older" end of the spectrum.

Those chicken strips on the children's menu aren't chicken fingers - they are cold grilled chicken strips. Not breaded.

tigsmom

Well the good news (?) is allearsnet reports that the menu has been rolled out at "...SOME restaurants (Tony's, Prime Time, Mama Melrose, Brown Derbyt, Sci Fi.) around Walt Disney World. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Could be a test run...."[/FONT]

The pictures makes it look better than it sounds, altough my older daughter would like a little more choises than this. here is a link...
http://allearsnet.com/menu/kids.jpg

After looking at those meals I have to be perfectly honest...I would order them. They actually look good.

pinkrose

Those chicken strips on the children's menu aren't chicken fingers - they are cold grilled chicken strips. Not breaded.

:hurl:

Looking at the pictures, I don't see much that my daughter would eat. She'd eat mac and cheese and she'd eat a hamburger, but not every day of an 8 day trip. It will all work out though. I'm sure she won't starve. lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom