Question about backpacks in WDW

Ali in Wonderland

Original Poster
You can always ask for a cup of water for free at quick service restaurants. They don't make you pay for a bottled water (not being snarky, just letting you know because I know there really are places outside of Disney that won't give you a free cup of water when they have bottled). You are right about the lines during peak times though. Having your own bottle would be more convenient.

Cost is not an issue. Time is. We are going the week of Easter this year. That said, it is highly likely that I would pay $5 for a water to not wait in line for more than a couple of minutes. If I bring my own water, I can save valuable time and money :)

habuma

How big is too big? Can you take them on all rides?

I just came back from WDW yesterday and carried around a Lowepro Flipside 400 (which is a decent-sized bag) every day I was there. I had absolutely no trouble with it on any ride, although I'd expect it to be trouble on Space Mountain (I didn't carry it with me on that ride because my wife held the bag for me while me and my oldest rode.)

In the past, I've carried a smaller camera backpack and Space Mountain was the *only* ride I had trouble on (and even then, the smaller bag worked out...just uncomfortably so).

Ali in Wonderland

Original Poster
I was told b
I just came back from WDW yesterday and carried around a Lowepro Flipside 400 (which is a decent-sized bag) every day I was there. I had absolutely no trouble with it on any ride, although I'd expect it to be trouble on Space Mountain (I didn't carry it with me on that ride because my wife held the bag for me while me and my oldest rode.)

In the past, I've carried a smaller camera backpack and Space Mountain was the *only* ride I had trouble on (and even then, the smaller bag worked out...just uncomfortably so).

I was told by a neighbor that they had to leave their bag with CMs on Soarin. Did you experience that?

JohnD

I have never taken a backpack (or anything else for that matter) into the parks. Typically, we go back to the resort mid-day for a break, so it has never been necessary. On our up coming trip there will be a day when we will more than likely be in the parks from rope drop ( at MK) until after the first Fantasmic! Showing ( at HS). I'm thinking it may be necessary to have a backpack for that day. I would like to have on hand; a few bottled waters, ponchos, phone, iPods for the kids, camera, etc... My questions are: How big is too big? Can you take them on all rides? If not, which ones? The backpack that I was thinking of taking is a Northface that is the size of an average student backpack. Any and all advice/comments would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

That is fine. Remember, you have to go through bag check before you enter a park. Yes, you can take backpacks with you on rides, provided you have room for it, either under your legs or in a net, depending on the ride. Also, remember backpack etiquette and try not to hit people with it while you're wearing it. When I'm in a queue I typically carry it by the loop on top. If I'm standing on a bus/monorail, I put it on the floor between my legs.

dreamfinder

I carry a decent sized messenger bag with me normally. Big enough for my DSLR, 2-3 lenses, rain jackets and extra layers for my me and my DW, SIGG, 2 resort mugs, snacks and a few other things. But then again I normally go rope drop til close.

I was told by a neighbor that they had to leave their bag with CMs on Soarin. Did you experience that?

There are two rides where I have been physically separated from my bag. Soarin, and Sum of all Thrills. In Soarin anything that doesn't fit under the seat will be placed in taped off areas on the floor. This is the same place where they will put wheelchairs after transfer as well. Sum of all Thrills has lockers before you load, you lock your stuff in there and hold the key. Space Mountain can be a tight squeeze as there isn't much room by your feet to stick bags. Every other ride just hold it/put on floor of vehicle (Peter Pan, Winnie The Pooh) or wrap the strap around your leg and stick on floor (Big Thunder Mountain) and you will be fine.

JIMINYCR

I usually start putting on my backpack a week before the trip and gauge how it feels with the weight I'll be carrying. In the past I've had my DW add better padding to the straps or at the lower back level for extra comfort. Get the straps adjusted at the perfect spot before hand. Theres a difference wearing a pack to classes and then wearing one all day. After the first couple of hours you feel the straps biting into your shoulders so before the trip make it more comfort fitting. Be sure you put an ID in the pockets of the pack just in case it gets forgotten/ left behind by mistake.

habuma

Was in Hollywood Studios yesterday and I was knocked several times by large backpacks. I have no problem with folks that choose to use them, but please be mindful of others.

Agreed. But it's not just backpacks...the statement "please be mindful of others" is a globally applicable rule, no matter what the circumstance.

With regard to my backpack, I always take a glance over my shoulder before making any move that might hit someone. Just a quick glance to see what is around you is all it takes to be considerate of others. While I never hit anyone with my backpack, I had plenty of people hit my otherwise motionless backpack. While standing perfectly still, people in line behind me would bump me frequently. I do not believe it had anything to do with the backpack and therefore I'm glad I had it on or else they'd have been bumping up way too close to my personal space for my comfort.

Ali in Wonderland

Original Poster
I usually start putting on my backpack a week before the trip and gauge how it feels with the weight I'll be carrying. In the past I've had my DW add better padding to the straps or at the lower back level for extra comfort. Get the straps adjusted at the perfect spot before hand. Theres a difference wearing a pack to classes and then wearing one all day. After the first couple of hours you feel the straps biting into your shoulders so before the trip make it more comfort fitting. Be sure you put an ID in the pockets of the pack just in case it gets forgotten/ left behind by mistake.

The backpack I am planning on taking is not actually a student backpack. It is specifically made for backpacking/hiking, so long wear is no problem. I have had that thing on my back for many many miles/hours.

Jahona

You say backpacking and I think of something like this.
backpack.jpg

That might be a bit large for going to the park.

Ali in Wonderland

Original Poster
You say backpacking and I think of something like this.
backpack.jpg

That might be a bit large for going to the park.

I do have this particular one in another color, but definitely won't be taking that one. I know better than that, LOL. It is about the size of a student pack pack. Maybe a few inches bigger in length. It is made for day hikes.

PMC0849

I have a hiking backpack I took last time. It was a little big, but I never had any problems. The big key was, it was waterproof! Which was a necessity when we were there. BY having a bigger backpack, my wife didn't need to carry around a purse too, which was nice for her.

Ali in Wonderland

Original Poster
I have a hiking backpack I took last time. It was a little big, but I never had any problems. The big key was, it was waterproof! Which was a necessity when we were there. BY having a bigger backpack, my wife didn't need to carry around a purse too, which was nice for her.

Both good points.

WhatJaneSays

I have taken a backpack to the parks on occasion.

When I’m corralling 2 or 3 of the niblings for an all-day adventure I take a small sling bag(10 or 12 L ish size). It has an iPad pocket but I don’t always bring it. Generally I only pack some snacks like goldfish or cereal, a few throwaway ponchos, my bobble, and an extra pair of socks for everyone in case we get soaked on a water ride. I never had an issue with this bag on any rides, even RnRC where I just made sure to have a foot through the strap.

The only time I bring a proper backpack are on the 24-hour MK event days. I pack my trusty Kelty (23 L) to the hilt with: a full change of clothes, extra shoes, pajamas, rain coat, camera, video camera, pre packed meals, a frozen liter bottle of water, snack packs, wet/dry sacks, and my Duffy. I did not carry the bag with me most of the day but rented a locker and stored it. I’m sure it would have been a nightmare to deal with for rides or walking. I was by myself and felt It was worth the extra expense and time to store the bag than carry it.

Just from watching others in the park it seems a bag around 25 L (not crammed) is the largest backpack that’s reasonably comfortable getting around or on rides without it being an issue.

PHS79

Our last trip we took a backpack into the parks everyday. We had ponchos, extra change of clothes for our DD (then 3), put our sweatshirts in there for cool weather, and the backpack has 2 water bottle holders on it. It worked out great for us, the one I used was small enough that it fit under the seats in Soarin and easily sat at our feet on other rides. Wearing it most of the day didn't bother me as until recently I was a carpenter for 15+ yrs and I always wore suspenders on the tool bags, so my shoulders were use to alot more weight on them than the backpack.

We are taking the back pack with again for our up coming trip. Here is a picture of the one we took, only different colors.
28-5061wps-2.jpg

Ali in Wonderland

Original Poster
Our last trip we took a backpack into the parks everyday. We had ponchos, extra change of clothes for our DD (then 3), put our sweatshirts in there for cool weather, and the backpack has 2 water bottle holders on it. It worked out great for us, the one I used was small enough that it fit under the seats in Soarin and easily sat at our feet on other rides. Wearing it most of the day didn't bother me as until recently I was a carpenter for 15+ yrs and I always wore suspenders on the tool bags, so my shoulders were use to alot more weight on them than the backpack.

We are taking the back pack with again for our up coming trip. Here is a picture of the one we took, only different colors.
28-5061wps-2.jpg
That is just about the size backpack I am talking about. Thanks!

JillC LI

A student size backpack is fine but I use a smaller backpack myself and put our jackets and ponchos and whatnot into a locker for the day at the MK. (At other parks I leave them in our car.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom