Question about AKL & Standard View Room??

lilone

Going to AKL in June for 6 nights and booked a standard
view room. From everything I have heard and read, if you're
staying at the AKL, savannah view is the only way to go. But
for $76 more a night versus the standard room it seems a little
much just for the view, even though I know it's all about the animals.

My question: since I can't afford the savannah view room, should
I stay at the Wilderness Lodge instead? I don't think I've read
any reviews from anyone that has stayed in a standard view room at the AKL??

Has anyone stayed in a standard view room at the AKL? If so,
could I get some feed back on the experience? Any help would be appreciated!:brick:

WDWspider

Originally posted by lilone

Has anyone stayed in a standard view room at the AKL? If so,
could I get some feed back on the experience? Any help would be appreciated!:brick:

I stayed Standard room view at WL. The Wilderness Lodge is much more for the place, the View is just a nice extra. We still had a Balcony, and a Lovely view of the roof and Bus Walkway. :lol: But at Wilderness Lodge you are doing more physical things as opposed to observing like you do at AKL. Sure if I could have, I would have got a better view at WL, but I felt no big lose in having the view I got.

At AKL however, you could see the animals and participate in the activities without Savannah view, but Personally I would never go to AKL if I was going to have standard view. Kinda the whole point for us was to be able to enjoy the animals and scenery from our balconies.

Upvote 0

disneydudette

AKL is rarely booked....in fact when we book our standard room...and checked in...we were upgraded to a pool view....

you must think about how much time your going to spend at the resort...the AKL is beautiful...the amenties are great...and the pool is decent...and even though you can't see the animals from your room....would you ever go down to the pathways and watch them....
if not....then move to the Wilderness Lodge....this way your in a better location....and with the resort nearly surrounded by woods...you'll at least get a decent view room....plus you'll be able to watch the water pagent and be close to most resort character breakfasts as well as the easy access to the MK...

I think the AKL is best if you do have a SV room....that is the only perk to that resort....

here are some pics of the AKL....you can see the standard view...
http://wdwig.com/g_akl.htm#sv
I could only find one pick of the standard view rooms from the WL...
http://wdwig.com/wl86.jpg
all photos - http://wdwig.com/g_wl.htm

hope this helps...

Upvote 0

crazygirley

Originally posted by disneydudette
AKL is rarely booked....in fact when we book our standard room...and checked in...we were upgraded to a pool view....

When were you there when you were upgraded? We are going in June, too. What are the possibilities of our room being upgraded. It seems as though everyone who has ever commented on AKL that wasn't staying in a savannah room has been upgraded in some way. That would be great!

Upvote 0

DanStat

If you don't have a pool/savannah view, I think you will be dissapointed. The standard views are not good at all. But you can always walk to a viewing area.

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by disneydudette

Same with me. I had a standard view booked but was upgraded to a pool view (Room 4420).

I don't know if it was because I'm a campus rep and still an employee of Disney, but I arrived on December 26th during one of the busiest times of the year.

Upvote 0

WDWspider

I like them both, but prefer AKL as most everyone else does. Besides I don't think the Contemporary has anything to do with the question that was asked, and since you didn't have anything to support your comments, what was the point of you even posting.:lol:

Upvote 0

MinnieFan

We just returned from both WL and AKL. I can't wait to stay at AKL again, and I will not return to WL. The CM's at AKL are outstanding as is the whole resort.

Stick with AKL and hope for the best that you will receive an upgrade. There are a lot of very nice public areas to view the animals.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by turkey leg boy
Hmm, I think you should do AKL. WL is overrated to me.

Agreed TLB! I've never stayed at WL, but I've visited many times. It has to be one of the noisiest lobies I've ever walked into. How anyone in rooms rear that lobby sleep is beyond me.

AKL is the way to go. We are now officialy exclusive AKL goers!

Upvote 0

WDWspider

Originally posted by AkiraRaptor
It has to be one of the noisiest lobies I've ever walked into. How anyone in rooms rear that lobby sleep is beyond me.

I can answer that since our rooms were off the Main Lobby. You can't sleep :lol: . Well, I think at 9 the restaurant (with the bulk of the noise) closes and a general quietness occurs. During the afternoon and early night hours it is extremly noisy though. They ring cowbells, Yell Yee-ha's, have races, and tons of othe crazy things... singing, and yes... even the eating is loud, not to mention everyone chatting at their tables. I think this is masked at AKL cause Bomas is on level one where the lobby is level 3, so the noise is kinda trapped at Bomas and not in the lobby.

Upvote 0

lilone

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great input! What is the possibility of being upgraded to a Savannah view? Is it something I should request upon checkin? What's the best way of handling it?

Upvote 0

disneydudette

start small....
usually you don't even have to mention the word "upgrade"....they Cm will most likely say something like..."since your such outstanding Disney guests....we've upgraded you to a pool view..."
when she says that you may mention if they're are any SV rooms available....and then ask her if there is anyway she can accomadate you in one of those rooms....
If she doesn't mention an upgrade...ask...even if its for a pool view....

to be honest...

we were extremely content with our Pool View....we were on a higher floor....so we had a full view of pool....and could see trees and shubs to the right....from there is where we saw a reticulated giraffe.....

the overview of the pool was fantastic....it looked so real...like an authentic African water-hole....
plus most pool view rooms are the closest to the lobby....and allow for easy access to the food court and restaurant...as well as buses....

for some reason I am unable to post pictures of teh view...did I do something wrong...

I can't help but wonder...after all this talk of upgrades...that you will not recieve one....I hope not...:(

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

For 76 a night whatever you choose is a good choice. Both places are very nice and they each have their own special perks. But if you are in to the animals, then AKL is definately the better choice.

Upvote 0

wedance

WE are going in a few weeks and decided to go standard. The interior of the rooms seem much nicer than WL. I hope we get upgraded too. But since we never spend that much time in our room, we decided to use the extra $100 a day someplace else.
Enjoy!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom