QS Pricing

Goof-Man

Original Poster
I was reviewing the menus for our upcoming trip and noticed some
Interesting observations. If I look at CBR and their QS the entrees itself don’t appear overly expensive to me; in fact when you compare it to say McDonald’s or another QS the prices are reasonable. But it’s when you look at Soda or a bagel or even a banana that the prices seem outrageous.

I mean let’s look at a banana and $2.49 for something that costs less than 0.50 at a grocery store.

Has anyone noticed similar findings and how do you overcome the sticker shock while still enjoying Disney food?

crawale

I was reviewing the menus for our upcoming trip and noticed some
Interesting observations. If I look at CBR and their QS the entrees itself don’t appear overly expensive to me; in fact when you compare it to say McDonald’s or another QS the prices are reasonable. But it’s when you look at Soda or a bagel or even a banana that the prices seem outrageous.

I mean let’s look at a banana and $2.49 for something that costs less than 0.50 at a grocery store.

Has anyone noticed similar findings and how do you overcome the sticker shock while still enjoying Disney food?
How about the cost of a bottle of water?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
See the banana thing is why I refuse to buy them at Disney.
I can buy 6 for 89 cents. I'm actually considering bringing some from home my next trip since it is what I normally have for breakfast at home.

Other things like soda and water are really not that shocking because its the same type of pricing at other amusement parks, fairs, concerts etc.

To me the entrees are NOT similar pricing to fast food chains.
I don't usually spend $13 on a burger and fries at McDonalds.
I'd spend that much at a local family owned diner for better quality ingredients.
I don't really have sticker shock about it though.
It is what it is.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Maybe it’s me all the way up here in Canada but a Big Mac meal at McDonald’s is 9.99; so comparatively I would rather have a burger at wdw than McDonald’s.

But that's for the burger, fries, and drink.

I think the cheapest burger and fry combo at Disney I've seen is $11.50. Then add another what $3.50 for a drink?

We're talking a solid $15 and probably more like $17 depending on what you order.

$10 vs $17 is a pretty big difference.

Don't get me wrong yes I agree I much rather spend my money at Disney but pricing is not comparable.

Clamman73

I understand the sticker shock so that’s why I go into a trip with a zero balance on the credit card and buy one water and then reuse that bottle for refilling from a fountain the rest of the trip.
For one week it’s fine…the rest of the 51 weeks of the year I’m making 0.89 cent/lb shake-n-bake chicken.

castlecake2.0

There’s quite a few QS entrees that really are reasonably priced and often times big enough to share. But I agree sometimes the smaller things are a little steep and I’m guessing it’s to push you towards buying an entree instead of just a side. When my family travels here (4 adults 2 kids) usually at QS we usually buy a couple entrees and a couple sides and just split it all and it’s enough for everyone usually.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
There’s quite a few QS entrees that really are reasonably priced and often times big enough to share. But I agree sometimes the smaller things are a little steep and I’m guessing it’s to push you towards buying an entree instead of just a side. When my family travels here (4 adults 2 kids) usually at QS we usually buy a couple entrees and a couple sides and just split it all and it’s enough for everyone usually.

When I was young and it was 2 adults and 3 kids and we always stayed offsite we ate breakfast offsite, then would have a milkshake and fries for lunch in the parks and then eat dinner offsite. (This meant we were not eating dinner until 10-11pm but that was actually no different from at home. My dad is a farmer who often didn't leave the farm until after dark in the summer)
Yes onsite restaurants are unique in theme but its unreal what you get for your money onsite vs offsite.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I understand the sticker shock so that’s why I go into a trip with a zero balance on the credit card and buy one water and then reuse that bottle for refilling from a fountain the rest of the trip.
For one week it’s fine…the rest of the 51 weeks of the year I’m making 0.89 cent/lb shake-n-bake chicken.

My sister and I pack 1 bottle per day we will be there in our suitcase and just refill at drinking fountains.

Goof-Man

Original Poster
So to add to this; does anyone see a benefit in resort refillable mugs at $20 each, really it’s like 5 refills and it’s worth it. But certainly not for kids.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Captive audiences pay more. We did a trip to the Grand Canyon after a trip to WDW one year and food at the lodge at the GC was as or more expensive than WDW.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
So to add to this; does anyone see a benefit in resort refillable mugs at $20 each, really it’s like 5 refills and it’s worth it. But certainly not for kids.

I've never just bought it on its own. I only get it if I get a dining plan and even then the majority of times I've gotten a dining plan it has been a free dining plan.
I just don't spend enough time at the resorts and food court at the resorts to warrant one. Plus I hate carrying them around so I always have to drop it back at the room before heading out which means I then have to back to my room to pick it back up when I do want something.

But I will say I see no difference between adults and kids to say its worth it or not worth it.
Most kids I know would actually probably get more use out of it than me because they want all the soda that they can get on vacation because they don't have as much at home.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Maybe it’s me all the way up here in Canada but a Big Mac meal at McDonald’s is 9.99

And there's the difference. What are we at now? about 1.20 to 1.00 on conversion. The price on the CBR menu is USD. So your $9.99 CAD Mickey D's would be costing you about $17 CAD at Disney.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

They'd never be worth it for my family. We mostly drink water anyway, and we're not generally taking any meals at the food courts, etc. where the refill stations are, so we'd have to make special trips to use them.

Last edited:

Goof-Man

Original Poster
Why not for kids?
I guess I was thinking that my kids don't drink Soda or coffee, but if they offered juice it would be worth it. But with that being said, I think this is how it would go: Why does Dad get a special mug: I want one. and then we have a mug that may get refilled once with Powerade, maybe iced tea.

Goof-Man

Original Poster
Thank you for the kind discussion, I certainly am enjoying this. I wanted to bring into the discussion a recent trip to Niagara Falls. At Niagara Falls the prices are incredible. We were there 2 years ago and the kids wanted milk, so, I went to starbucks. 2 Large glasses of milk and it was 12.50; I walked down to the convenient store and I purchased 2X 1L 2% milk and the bill was $14.50; for something that sells for $2.99 at the grocery store. Not only was there tax added, there was also the Destination fee. At least, as far as I know, there is no special tax at Disney.

With this in mind and yes taking in consideration currency conversion. I still feel Disney isn't bad food wise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom