"Put that thing away!"

Texzilla

I guess it also depends on who's working the ride too. I've never had a problem recording Haunted Mansion with my flip screem open. (Didn't really record anything anyway, too dark but...) And one time at the Hall of Presidents I asked the gentleman standing by the doors to the theater if it was OK to record, to which he said "Certainly!", only to have the cast member introducing the show make it VERY clear that video taping was not allowed. PERIOD. But that's the only time I've heard that and have been able to record the show several times.

Has anyone noticed there's a bit of a contradiction on 'Ellen's Energy Adventure'? She does say in the opening sequence that there is no video taping. But as people enter the theater and get seated, a voice over announcent says there's no flash photography and no external video lighting. Making it seem like you can record it, just not use any lighting. Trust me, you still can't. Oh well, if I can't film Ellen fighting dinosaurs at least they don't mind anyone recording the preshow so I have the "For those of you just coming in... you're late. Where have you been?" line saved. Always cracks me up.

gregburg

In case you are curious, on a dark ride it is super simple to spot someone with a video camera that is on. It turns out that most video cameras are always blasting IR out the front to assist with autofocusing. (IR is infra-red light that we humans can't see, but the focusing sensor can.) Turns out that video cameras, especially the ones that are used to keep an eye on guests are super sensitive to IR.

The result is that if you have a videa camera (or even some still digital cameras) on, it shows up like a flashlight on the monitors that the CM's use to monitor the riders. Very easy to spot.

In addition to the flip screen lighting up the area too (which is super annoying).

-Greg

Lakermouser

Filming

It must be up to the individual CM regarding the rules. We taped Oh Canada on a previous visit, but last May a sign said no. I also taped Soarin', all 3 mountains, Tiki Room, and HM. Just before the launch of RnR a CM told me to put the camcorder away.
I would not use the camera's lights under any circumstances.

pescador1f

in September

i got alot, no hassles.
test track ......awesome
soarin'.....( keep the camera low key til lift off) hard to watch on tv though
pirates of the caribbean......awesome, use night vision
haunted mansion...same
it's a small world....... easy
jungle cruise..easy
splash mountain.....hold the camera in the direction of the last fall....good though
big thunder mountain railroad......a bit bouncy, but good
dinosaur........chaotic, hard to follow
kilimanjaro safari....easy
maelstrom........use night vision
el rio del tiempo....kind of boring
the great movie ride.......try to be in the back
didnt try rock'n roller coaster or tower of terror for fear my girlfriend would knock the camera out of my hands.

pescador1f

gregburg said:
In case you are curious, on a dark ride it is super simple to spot someone with a video camera that is on. It turns out that most video cameras are always blasting IR out the front to assist with autofocusing. (IR is infra-red light that we humans can't see, but the focusing sensor can.) Turns out that video cameras, especially the ones that are used to keep an eye on guests are super sensitive to IR.

The result is that if you have a videa camera (or even some still digital cameras) on, it shows up like a flashlight on the monitors that the CM's use to monitor the riders. Very easy to spot.

In addition to the flip screen lighting up the area too (which is super annoying).

-Greg

right on my videos of dark rides you can see my camera light like a strobe light effect, but nobody ever said anything.

Merlin

Account Suspended
wdwishes2005 said:
Definately safety. Next time you go put a penny on your lap, and see what it does. Then imagine it was a comcorder. That would hurt........

I've never done the penny thing on ToT specifically because I've never wanted to detract from all the cool visuals. But I've done it on other drop rides at the Six Flags like parks. That is a really fun thing to do. Like being weightless in space or something.

DisJosh

I've only been asked not to tape on Rockin Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror. Both of which I taped once out of site of CM's.

Ralphlaw

Merlin said:
They were probably just so thrilled that someone was riding it and found the experience worth videotaping. :lol:

Excuse my cluelessness, but I assume you are being sarcastic. If not, what a story: Disney's big new attraction can't get riders! Oh well, it must be sarcasm, as evidenced by the laughing little guy at the end, like him > :lol:

Merlin

Account Suspended
Ralphlaw said:
Excuse my cluelessness, but I assume you are being sarcastic. If not, what a story: Disney's big new attraction can't get riders! Oh well, it must be sarcasm, as evidenced by the laughing little guy at the end, like him > :lol:

It was sarcasm. I found Everest to be a major disappointment, so I've made a few jokes at it's expense. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom