Proposal Ideas ... some questions

luckyguy

Original Poster
I am just going the the steps of planning a fall vacation for the girlfriend and me to WDW. I have pretty much decided I wanted to pop the question there. I don't think she has any idea and I really want to take her by surprise. So I have just been able to research the little bit of info that I find on the net. I have 2 different ideas but I have my doubts or thoughts on each.

Idea 1:
Cinderella's Royal Table Engagement

Thoughts:
  • Pictures of the restaurant make it look packed tightly
  • Cinderella is only breakfast and lunch
  • May not be too private or romantic
Idea 2:
Rent a boat for the Epcot Fireworks

Thoughts:
  • Life vests = Sexy ?
  • Boat not big enough for her to stand and me to kneel?
From what I can find it would cost about the same both ways. I hope I am not over-analyzing things but I just want it to be perfect and its hard to plan with out getting to scope it in the first place.

Thanks!

Buddy
"Lucky Guy"

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
CRT is not all that cramped. You'd have room enough and if you arrange things with the restaurant I think she'd find it very romantic. Privacy?!?!? Girls don't want privacy for such things unless they intend to say "no"! :animwink: Seriously, getting applause from the whole restaurant will be a moment she'll cherish [even if she's a shy person and is "mortified" by the attention at the time].

The boats aren't dingy-sized, they're substantial enough that a proposal wouldn't be clumsy. I'm not sure if you actually have to be wearing a life vest or just have one handy...

Either idea has merit, but the real advantage you have is that if she's not expecting it you could propose in a toilet stall and she'll remember it as the most romantic experience of her life [not that I'm advocating proposing in a toilet stall! :lol:]

luckyguy

Original Poster
Just to clarify, when I say privacy I do not really mean alone. I just don't know what to really expect with the CRT. Some of the photos just make the tables looks pretty close together.

Thanks!

MPitzen

I'm not sure if you've considered other things or not but here are two ideas, one that my future DH used and one he used to trick another time...

At the coral reef restaurant in epcot they will have a diver come down in the water right next to your table and in the water have a sign that says "will you marry me?" This can be very romantic, particularly depending on the type of people you are... what you like... This is also definitely not something that everyone does.

My other suggestion is going to dinner at one of the monorail resorts and then taking a walk on the beach during either Wishes or Electrical Water Parade and asking. One way to do this is also to have someone else help you and have it wrote in the sand.

Just some suggestions, that could definitely save you some money as well.

luckyguy

Original Poster
Well the trip with flights & meals could be pretty expensive, AND the ring..... well I don't want to sound cheap - but I have to stay somewhat reasonable since getting married is expensive in itself. I have no problem spending $250 to rent the boat or the special dinner - but $5,000 to have a carriage and the fairy godmother pick her up and bring her to the castle is a bit much ;)

Thanks for the link - between arranging things and photos it would be nice to have help :)

Nemo14

Have you considered the carriage ride at POR or Fort Wilderness? Personally, I'd be absolutely mortified if my DH had proposed to me in front of a lot of strangers , but during a romantic carriage ride would have been perfect.
Just a thought ...

cindy's would be wonderful i think. but i am biased, i was proposed to while walking down the side of the castle.

anyhoo, the advantage of having it in a more public atmosphere is that if you want to have some kind of video of the proposal you can ask a cast member to help you out. and it really isn't too crowded.

i did also like the idea of having it written in the sand though while on a romantic walk.

here's to her saying yes!:wave:

luckyguy

Original Poster
here's to her saying yes!:wave:

That's not the answer I'm worried about - I'm more worried about the parents! Traditionally after the proposal the couple would come back to the house and the immediate family would celebrate with some desert & coffee. So they might be a tad hesitant at first. But I plan on booking 2 tickets for the return flight to go to her Parent's city where we have a weekend before returning home.

I have to keep the special arrangements and return flight info a secret and I'm slowly slipping. Partially due to excitement. She knows its coming in the next 12 months and I am trying to make her think it'll be close to her Parent's place.

It's also been quite a while since I've been to WDW and some of these suggestions are hard for me to picture. I'll do more research on the beach / carriage ride ideas. I think I'll also talk to the people that run the breathless cruise and ask if any special arrangements can be done like to float out into the lagoon before the fireworks and pop the question, then return to where they park for the fireworks.

sweetale

Just to reply to the idea of the illuminations cruise, I took it last Sept with my (then) boyfriend. While he didn't propose then (he waited 'till my birthday at Cali Grill :D ), I would say there is enough space to kneel down if you choose the pontoon option. And they don't require you to wear the lifejackets either!! If you went with the pontoon boat, you'd have much more room and the captin could distance himself from you guys so that you'd have more privacy. When we went, it was about a 20 minute cruise around cresent lake. We even went over to MGM and caught a bit of Fantasmic. Once we were docked around the lagoon for illuminations, it was pretty crowded. There were people staring down at us from the bridge above and there were 3 boats parked right next to us (we could literally touch their boat). So, if you wanted to be "alone" I would choose before the show starts. Either way good luck planning!! :wave:

~Amy

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
My husband never really proposed to me. We just planned the whole thing. This year he surprised me with a real "re-proposal". All it cost him was our park admission.

I am not a real big "public" person, so he did this. We waited in line for the ride "Peter Pan". We got on the ride (I had no idea, by the way). He started making a comment about how much he loves the story of Peter Pan and Wendy. When we got to the part of the ride where you fly over paris, my husband said to me.... "Moriah, I love you and never regretted the decision to marry you. But, I did regret they way it came about. I want to set it right. Will you marry me''?

It was so sweet, and we were flying over Paris in the most magical place in the World. I loved it, and I will never forget that moment. :eek:

luckyguy

Original Poster
Well she is worried that there wont be time to plan out a wedding if I wait to do it at WDW. I havnt told her anything exactly but gave her a range. We have just talked about a ceremony in Fall of 2008... sooooo long story short I was contenplating just popping the question in the next few weeks. I have been racking my brain for a week now thinking of how else to do it. I just can think of anything that would make everyone happy.

I want to talk to her father before I do it, I want her parents to be in on it, I want to celebrate with her family right after.... If all that wont happen until the month before we go to WDW then I think I might just wait anyways.

*sorry for the blabbing - just trying to vent/figure things out*

mom2of2

well if you can't wait till your trip why not bring some Disney into it anyway? Order a set of bridal ears and a glass slipper with "Will you marry me?" on it.

Worth a shot.

JML42691

To help you out with a few points and ideas. Since you are planning on flying back to her parents instead, consider having a co-worker that you can trust have the tickets to the flights that involve the flight to her parents from Orlando and then to your own city sent to the co-worker's house. You can have the flight to WDW booked to your home address and depending on how much money you want to spend and the availibility, you could decide to book two seats on a cheap-priced airline from Orlando to your hometown depending on where you live (considering prices). Have these "decoy" tickets sent to your house so she won't get any ideas about the proposal at first and then when you have a moment to yourself in Disney call the airline and cancel the flight reservation to yur home city claiming somebody is sick or something. If you are willing to fork in another couple hundred dollars then this would help to make it more of a surprise. But this will only work if you haven't booked a flight yet. GOOD LUCK, HOPE SHE SAYS YES:sohappy:

Philo

I popped the question back in January when we were at the parks. I spent a long time looking at suggestions and considering boat hire, restaurants (I hadn't heard of the coral reef idea though!) talking to the staff at CRT (who were very, very helpful!) but in the end I decided that it wasn't really 'our style'. I ended up popping the question after we watched wishes. We were right by the castle and I waited for most of the crowd to disapear - but whilst the music was still playing. Very simple but it was right for us.

Philo

also... on our last trip we were walking through the castle and the guy walking infront just ran infront of his girlfriend, dropped on his knee and asked right there. Not sure I would have been brave enough to do it with such a large crowd round but she obviously loved it!

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
What about renting the yacht at the Grand Floridian? You can even have a romantic dinner set up for the 2 of you. You can have dinner and then go out on the back deck or even at the table and pop the question. You can take it out for the fireworks.

Pam

Nansafan

I've posted this story before but love telling it and will again. My cousin proposed this past summer to his fiance in the Plaza Rose Garden during Wishes. There were 10 of us traveling together. During the fireworks, where Julie Andrews speaks the second time, something about "remember wishes do come true", Paul leaned over to Bre and said "You know what my wish is, to have Bre as my wife" whereby he dropped to one knee in front of my brother's video camera and cousin snapping pic. Bre said "is this a joke?",when she realized it was real, she collapsed into his arms crying. We al waited and then Paul looked up and said "She said Yes!" We all cheered as did the other people standing nearby.

Paul had thought about buying a brick but they don't sell them anymore then he was going to propose at the beach at the Poly (thanks again Pam for the reservation change) but couldn't figure out how to get my bro to video-tape that inconspicuously. The fire works turned out to be the best option.

We found out later that Bre reaction "is this a joke?" was because Paul always said to her that he would only ask her to marry him if they were at Disney. It became a joke between them that the engagement could only happed at Disney. As is turned out, this was her very first vacation to Disney ever. Paul is a seasoned WDW vet and had also done CP when in college.

Kristi Kay

This is beautiful! I want to be proposed to at Disney! I LOVE the idea of watching Wishes out on the beach and doing it after that....But if you do it in front of the castle, after the crowd has cleared, you could get pictures....and that would be nice!!

Keep us updated on what your decide!

tr1plese7en

What about renting the yacht at the Grand Floridian? You can even have a romantic dinner set up for the 2 of you. You can have dinner and then go out on the back deck or even at the table and pop the question. You can take it out for the fireworks.

Pam

I was going to suggest this. I saw it on one of those travel channel specials. Didn't know this was possible before seeing it on tv.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom